legs asleep

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Hi, I saw a thread the other day where you wake up but your legs are still asleep. I thought that sounded weird. It happened to my husband last night. He woke me up and said Help I cannot move my legs. I went to his side of the bed they were in the fetal position. I could not get them apart. I had to pry them open with all my strength. They were like a corpse legs. He has never done this before. I searched for the thread and I cannot find it. My question is what can we do to prevent this from happening again. It seemed to cause him a lot of pain. I am going to try exercising his legs before he goes to bed. People that live alone I do not know what they would do in case this happened to them. Any input that I can do to help my husband would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2008 at 10:12 am

I have woken up with just the major tingling from positioning myself incorrectly and apparently laying on a nerve that makes it difficult to move. I think this happens more often because we don’t adjust our bodies as we normally would during sleep. We stay in one place and don’t move. I have never exerienced the severity that you described. I don’t know if your husband wakes up during the night but I would always make it a point to change positions and that might prevent the reoccurrance if that is what caused it.

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2008 at 9:46 pm

Hi, the title of the thread was “just curious if any of you have this” by LindaH. You can search for this or look at threads started by LindaH. I have heard this condition called sleep paralysis and it is supposed to happen to everyone at least once or twice in your life. You can google sleep paralysis and read the wikipedia explanation or what is on the Stanford sleep disorders website about ways to decrease the frequency, despite how scarey it feels, it probably is not something to worry about a whole lot unless your hubby has it happen again soon.
      WithHope for a cure of these diseases