Leg spasms

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2008 at 10:28 am

Just wondering if any of you have experienced severe spasms in your legs after an EMG. If you did, how long did it last? I had my 3rd EMG last Tuesday, and have had a severe spasm in my right leg, 2 days in the back thigh and 1 day in my whole leg. I don’t remember having them before, but the EMG tech really zapped my leg and both hands and arms. I don’t remember all the jerking of my extremities like this time-almost seemed like he turned the voltage higher. If you did have spasms, how long did they last?
      Thanks for letting me share.
      Emma

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2008 at 11:42 am

I experienced that as well emma. I felt like I couldn’t walk afterward because of the spasms. People were probably staring at me wondering what the heck was wrong. I looked like I was walking on hot coals!

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Emma, Sorry you are still having the spasms. Have you tried increasing your h2o intake, high potassium fruits and dill pickles and juice? Thats what I increase after my zapps. I have had 12 or 13 ncv/emg tests-some with problems and some with none. My worst ones lasted a few days, and after I was fed up with the pain, I tried all the methol stuff, creams, melons, and found lots of pickle juice and a huge dill pickle usually took care of it. I hope it goes away soon!!! Hugs!!!

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2008 at 5:29 pm

Have had several of those EMG’s too! The one thing I noticed after them was terribly bad muscle weakness the next days afterwards and the bruises. I get huge massive bruises that looks like I was beat on after having those test. I bruise easily though because of medications I take for Lupus. But the muscle weakness is bad after I have them. Never really noticed the spasms though. Just weakness and brusing! Hope you are feeling better today Emma! It’s the weekend so maybe you are sitting in a chair or laying on a sofa resting those legs! Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2008 at 4:20 am

Hi Emma,
      Yes I got them too, how long they last I think depends on the status of your nerves… how damaged they are, their rate of healing etc. The test is asking our nerves to perform at a level they are not accustomed to, however briefly, and it takes awhile for your body to find it’s equilibrium again. The only thing I really found that helped was stretching and epsom salt baths – make sure you have someone with you though as the epsom salt baths can leave your muscles very relaxed. 😉

Julie