lack of appetite

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2007 at 2:12 pm

For the past 7 days I have been nauseous, dry heaving, and not eating very well. I have been home from the hospital now for 3 weeks. Last week I was eating fine and now I have little appetite. Is this normal and do you have any suggestions? My husband thinks its heat exhaustion, but I feel since I am constipated and not going as much as I should maybe its gas build up?? I feel like the oldest 28 year old around. Help please!!

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2007 at 2:52 pm

GBS can affect your digestion, including the muscles involved in moving your bowels. Constipation is a common complaint. Have you tried taking something like colace? That’s what they gave me in the hospital (and lots of prune juice–ick!) because my digestion was also heavily affected by GBS. [I]All [/I]my muscles below the waist just kind of slowed down or stopped working for a while.

I’m not sure about the loss of appetite after being home from the hospital for several weeks. It might be worth calling your neuro if you think you’re getting worse, not better. I knew I had turned the corner when my appetite returned. Do you have your follow-up scheduled already? My neuro wanted to see me 2-4 weeks after coming home from the hospital. If you haven’t scheduled one yet, this might be a good time to make that call.

I hope you feel better soon!

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2007 at 3:44 pm

Hi Tracy,
      Suzannes right, my bowels and urinary tract (sp?) shut down completely so be careful! They seemed like almost the last muscles to come back. Let your doctor know and don’t ever worry about asking too many questions of them. I always felt like I didn’t want to bother the staff and ended up paying for it later. My doctor said “it’s okay if we don’t think you’re crazy thats what we’re here for!” It’s just his receptionist who used to look exasperated that made me feel Nuts!!
      Take care,
      Joyce

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2007 at 3:46 pm

The body will naturally lose it’s appetite (if you are “listening”) when constipated ~ there isn’t room for more! And, as the body becomes filled with toxins, that would naturally be eleminated, you can become nauseated. You need lots of fluids ~ more than usual. It’s easier on your body if you can use prune juice and gentle yoga movements than a chemical laxative but the most important is to get the toxins moving out! I hope that you find relief soon 🙂

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2007 at 8:32 pm

Tracy,

You should definitely address the problem. Unfortunately left the constipation could lead to even further problems, pain and discomfort – just as Judy said, full of toxins. I think you should follow everyones elses’ suggestions on the prune juice, drinking lots of water etc, but …… Unfortunately, you may actually have to go the enema route as well. The little bottle kind are easily obtained at the pharmacy. Its not really that bad at all, I think the most difficult it trying to “keep the water in” as long as possible before heading for the bathroom. One little enema may not be enough though, so just be ready in case it isnt and have two handy. Also, from experience, I think you may want to do all of this in the bathroom so that you dont have far to run when it starts working, so take a magazine or something to keep your mind occupied for a few minutes 😮 while waiting. Tracy, dont let this end up with more drastic measureS having to be taken, like me. Unfortunately because I was unable to speak, the nursing staff didnt even give my bowel a second thought, a few weeks later I was having to deal with hose pipes and hand enema’s … yuck!!:eek:

• May 26, 2007 at 11:05 pm

Kevie had the constipation problem too, even with colace every day, five days would go by with no bm. He also had the opposite of incontinece (I think) He had to go, but could not make it come out. He had awful stomach aches, acid reflux and as Ali mentioned felt full. Well the last couple of days, he has not stopped going # 2 (w/o colace) His appetite has increased, like he has a tapeworm or something LOL. I thought it was just because he had been getting so much excersize on the trampoline, it never really dawned on me that maybe he was getting better and his bowel muscles were working again!!!