Kevie can’t catch a break

• November 3, 2008 at 1:50 pm

sorry no info

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 2:12 pm

Dawn – it will be ok.

I’m thinking that since the port was in deeper than normal that it might have shifted some & might take a longer needle to get to it. I’m sure the surgeon will have some answers for you tomorrow. Be prepared that he might order an X-ray to get a look at the ports positioning.

It will be ok. I promise. Look how far you’ve come. You will be Ok. Kevin will be Ok.

You know if you need me you can call. I won’t be home until probably around 5pm my time today though. I’ll be here anytime after that.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 3:34 pm

Hang in there Dawn. You and Kevie are in my prayers and so many others. I sometimes get just like Kevie, mad at the world and why me? God is with you Dawn. Close your eyes and just take a deep breath, and feel Him. I think Kelly is right about the port changing position. The surgeon will find it and make things right. Hang in there Dawn.
      Emma

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 5:04 pm

I am very sorry to hear what happened to Kevie today. Hopefully the surgeon can fix the problem and Kevie can get the break he needs to beat this thing. I don’t blame him or you for being mad. I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that Hugs and prayers are being sent to you two and for you two.

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 5:54 pm

Hi Dawn,
      I know how Kevie feels. I used to have an infusa port and it hurt so bad to access it but then my nurses came up with a miracle spray. They spray the area first and you don’t feel a thing. If you are interested I will see if I can find out what they use and maybe it is something you could use for Kevin. I am serious when I say it makes such a difference. I’m an adult and it just about brought me to tears sometimes and then along came the miracle spray.

Let me know..take care and give kevie a hug.

• November 3, 2008 at 6:26 pm

Hi guys,
      Sherry, we do use emla cream, the problem is for whatever reason, they both missed the port each of the three attempts. So the 1 1/2 inch needle went into deep tissue. The second nurse kept doing the little weaving or threading type thing you do when it is regular venous access. He is bruised and swollen now. I pray the surgeon gets it first try tommorrow. mentally this is really breaking Kevie, I am already broke. I will ask the surgeon about the spray, I wonder if it is lidocaine spray?
      Dawn

• November 3, 2008 at 7:50 pm

Dawn, God can take our anger and questions.

It is very tough to see our little ones suffering. I pray too that the surgeon will be able to get it done the 1st time and that you and Kevie regain physical, mental, emotional and spiritual strength quickly.

Peace be with you,

Gary

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 8:18 pm

Sometimes times are tough, but do not be discouraged or give up hope. Neither should you blame God. I 100% do not believe that illness is a test from God. I think bad things happen in this world, but God does not abandon us–He walks with us through them. I absolutely cannot believe that illness is a punishment from God. How could little kids get cancer? I think God is saddened by pain and illness especially in children. Emma is right–God is with you, just take a deep breath and feel Him.

A rare occurance is a “flipped” port where the port has flipped over and cannot be accessed. It sounds more like the nurses may have just missed the port. One can tell if the port has flipped because it does not feel right and on an xray from the side, it is “upside down”. A port looks kind of like a top hat with the smaller (top) toward the outside. Since Kevie is bruised and sore, it might be a good thing to get an xray or maybe even have the port accessed using “fluoroscopy” which is low dose xrays used for a procedure.

The special spray is probably ethyl chloride spray, made by Gebauer. We call it “freezey spray” and use it a lot with kids that do not like EMLA or need “emergency” access and cannot wait for EMLA to work. It is a spray that makes the skin feel like an ice cream cone has been dropped on it. It is really cold and numbs the skin temporarily so that a needle does not hurt. The problem with it is that it is flammable and the bottle is said to make a nice explosion if dropped–so you have to be careful with it. Personally, I think the stories about the potential explosions are one of the best things about it for the school age boys. Supposedly if you drop it and the top breaks off, the rest of the bottle will propel itself across the room like an open fire extinguisher jet.

I hope all goes well tomorrow and that you and Kevie have peace now and then. WithHope

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Dawn,

I recall having my pic line, in my right arm go bad (not very technical, but it was VERY, VERY sore and my whole arm was beat red). I had to have another procedure done to put in another line in my left arm.

When that procedure was completed, I heard ALOT of rushing water in my ears….something I was told later was not good, as the line had followed an artery up in to my neck/head area.

I start to fret, REALLY fret, because I HATED to have this done in the first place, and really hated to think about it again.

My wife and I prayed about it, and prayed about it and the next morning, I went to have Flouroscopy take a picture of it, and they were amazed that it, the line, had migrated into a perfect position, right where it should have been.

I only share this, because I was having a HORRIBLE time dealing with it. HORRIBLE. I was pissed, and mad, and angry, and refusing help/encouragement and all kinds of stuff.

Hang in there, and keep your chin up.

Look foward to meeting you on Friday/Saturday.

Take care, and be safe.

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2008 at 7:02 pm

Dawn, how is Kevie’s port? Did they find the problem? Is he doing better?

I wanted to say that that last line in my message came out wrong–I meant peace both now and later, but it came out as if I were saying peace occasionally (now and then) instead of what I meant as both now and then.

Brett, we also have a number of kids whose lines flip up into their necks and then back down into the right place. It keeps life interesting.

We all have rough weeks sometimes. I hope for all of you that life gets easier.
      WithHope

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2008 at 7:50 pm

I hope everything is ok….
      you and Kevie are in my prayers …

Stacey

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2008 at 7:51 pm

Hey Dawn, How did Kevie make out at his appt with the surgeon? Hope everything is ok? Praying that it is.

• November 5, 2008 at 8:36 pm

We went to the surgeon yesterday, the port was kind of on its side, he did some pushing and feeling around and was able to get it on the first stick. Kevie is very sore from all the previous sticks and pushing on it. It hurts to even lift his arm, he is keeping it at his side. He said the neck pain is probably scar tissue, but I wonder if it is what you mentioned With Hope since it is sporadic when it happens and when it does happen it brings him to tears. That takes alot, since he does not even cry or sqwuirm when he is stuck. I am not going to lie, he is depressed. He was really pissed yesterday because it was a day off and he said he had to spend it at the docs getting hurt. on our way home it was even worse. It took 2 hours and 30 min to get home from downtown on what is usually 20 minutes. they let everyone downtown leave work early because the streets were closed for the Obama party in Grant park. We went to Wendy’s before we got home and our bill was $6.66 and it was one year exactly since Kevie’s port was put in. It was a paycho day!!!!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2008 at 1:41 am

Dawn I am saying prayers for Kevie and for you. When I read your comment about your Wendy’s bill being $6.66, it made me laugh. Last year when I took my car in for servicing, the bill was $666.00. I looked at it and immediately said, “I’m not paying that”. The service clerk looked stunned and asked why I wouldn’t pay. I said you have to change it as that is mark of the beast. He promptly changed it to $665. Chin up Dawn–we are all behind you. You are a great Mom and times will get better again.
      Laurel