Just wanted to say hello!

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2007 at 8:35 am

I’m new to the forums, though I have been reading them for quite a while now. What a great group of people. It feels so good to know I’m not the only one. I have gained a great deal of comfort from reading through the forums, and I hope at some point I can help someone else, as you all have helped me.
      The first time I had GBS was 1991, I was 21 years old. I required a vent for about 2 weeks, and had several plasma pheresis treatments. It took about 6 months and living with my parents again, to get back on my feet. I did though, and it really had a positive impact on my life. I went back to college and became a Respiratory Therapist. Fast forward 15 years, and I was 37 years old, married, with 2 beautiful kids. I had a rough year with a sick family member, was super busy with my family, and was probably working to many shifts, and I got run down. Paddled 22 miles in my kayak Memorial Day weekend 2006, and by June 13 I was sick!! On my way to the emergency room, I thought, “Wow, this feels familiar!” Wish I would have been wrong! At least we caught it early. A few weeks in he hospital and some more plasma pheresis, and I was ready to go back home. What I didn’t realize, is that I would still be home. I am better, however I deal daily with fatigue, and a right leg that has a “mind of its own!” I am pretty clumsy, which I have learned to laugh at. My kids help me with that! I am having to learn to enjoy my life at a much slower pace, which has been my biggest challenge. I am still not back to work, but I have decided that its ok, as I have more time to spend with my girls.
      Reading through these forums brings me a lot of comfort. You are right Gene, there is strength in numbers. Sorry for the long post! I look forward to reading more!

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2007 at 9:58 am

Welcome to our family, nice to meet you 🙂

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2007 at 12:17 am

Marindee,

Glad to have you on board and posting!

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2007 at 12:27 am

Thanks Jerimy and Ali! Nice to meet yall’ too!:D

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2007 at 9:48 am

Marindee, Just wanted to say Hi. I’m 38 with 2 small children. I have relatives in Fortworth(grandma, aunt, cousins). I remember when I was in the hospital that my strongest thought is “I can’t leave my children without a mother”. My R leg dosen’t work good either especially when I’m fatigued after being on my feet all day. RT is a very demanding job. Our hospital adminstrator is a past RT and this is a desk job in general. So, there is other career options but I think it is great that you are able to spend time with your kids. I just wanted to say also that I’m super impressed that you could paddle 22 miles in a boat in 2006. This is even tough for people who haven’t even had GBS. So, glad you found the forum. Shawn

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2007 at 6:12 pm

Hello Marindee and Welcome! I enjoyed reading your posts they are so possitive! You are OneLuckyGirl…..we are OneLuckyGroup to have you join us! :p

Sorry if I have missed any other newbies my hand have been burning lately and I have stayed off the computer thinking that was what was over working them and making them act up! It does not seem to be contributing that much, so I am back to my usual reading and posting! 🙂

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2007 at 12:21 am

KIT and Dr. Shawn, it’s nice to meet yall’ too! Dr. Shawn, my kids are more demanding some days than my 8-12 hour shifts at the hospital! ha! If you are ever here in Fort Worth visiting let me know! My husband and I did a lot of kayaking in the summers of 2005 and 2006. I really enjoyed it. I never had the fatigue or residual leg problems the first time I had GBS, of course, I was a bit younger then too. This time it seems to be all about pacing myself. I was always a 5-6 hours of sleep per night, high energy person, so this sleeping 10-12 hours to feel human has been hard for me. I don’t seem to run out of energy graduallly either, I feel like I just hit a brick wall and things quit working. So it’s just a learning process I figure. I keep a journal so that I can track my activity, diet, and sleep in hopes that it will give me some insight into my bodies new requirments. Every time I try something new or add something to my daily schedule, I record it to see if I tolerate it or if my body punishes me for it. As for going back to hospital work……….I’ve had enough of the hospital scene for now. I think when I return to work, I’ll do some homecare or something. Maybe I’ll even take a few more college courses, who knows what tomorrow will bring! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2007 at 8:11 am

Marindee,

Welcome !

Just had to say I love your quote.

Stacey