just got gbs 73yrs old

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 1:14 pm

HI yall, got gbs on nov 9 2006, docs thought i was a goner, they were suprised by my rapid recovery. hospital for 40 days got plasmaphartresis, had hallucinations and all other goodies, have mild case i think, been reading this site daily, its been a great help, tired, needles and pain in hand, weak, can now walk short distance without walker, got a great wife who helps me without her i wold be a goner she spent 24/7 by my side in hospital. taking 2000 mgs neurontin and vicodin when needed, i want to thank all of the people on this site you have got me out of my funk, good luck and god is on your side allways,, gg

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 1:58 pm

Hi Gene,

Welcome! I am glad that your recovery is going so well. Just take things easy, be patient and enjoy every little step forward. Remember: GBS stands for getting better slowly (not my invention;)).

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 2:01 pm

Greetings Gene,

Glad to see you post and say hi to us. It is okay to be a ‘lurker’ but we really like to talk with new people and offer our support. We are here for you and your wife! As Eva said, take it easy – that means get lots of rest and then rest some more.

Would love to hear more about you 🙂

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 2:29 pm

HELLO, i live in nyc a few blocks from empire state bldg, my wife is 15 yrs younger than me, im retired had my own textile business, i was never sick in my life, good jeans i did not live a healthy life lots of bad habits. my family lives into there 90s, i woke up on the 9th of nov and had a high fever and very weak, call 9/11 and got ambulance by time i got to hospital i was paralized was put in coma for 5 days dont remember anything about the first 10 days i was in icu. im lucky after i found out what they did to me. i was really depressed for a few weeks, reading about people on this site in the same boat really helped me a lot im very grateful to you all. i know god is on our side and always with all his children keep the faith and again i thank you all, gg

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 2:56 pm

Your having exactlly the same GBS events as I did. Hang in there and take it easy. I have overdone it several times and that caused a setback. The only diffrence in our stories is the age. My wife is younger and I abused my body in my earlier years. I quit drinking almost 2 years ago and quit smoking 8 months ago. Thinking ok now I’ll be better but then GBS kicks my butt. I’m in therapy 3 times a week. I spent 8 weeks in the hospital now in out-patient rehab 3 times per week. I’ve had 1 IVIG since discharge and my Neurologist wants me to have 1 per month. If I can help in any way let me know. The people in here have helped me survive, they are invaluable because theres now advice like experianced advice.
      Tim Ray
      SEVERE GBS 10/11/2006

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 3:01 pm

Gene, Please tell me how to get my story out there so I can get help. I don’t know how to start in this web site. I am a 62 yr old who in the last 6 months has had breast cancer, 6 weeks of radiation, a stroke and then Guillain Barre. I take 3300 mgs of Gabapentin a day but don’t think it does anything. My insides are crawling all the time and the pain in my neck is awlful. Sleep doesn’t come without lots of Ambium. Please help me find out more about this GBS and how people deal with it. Thank you.

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 5:55 pm

Hi Gene:
      I had my hit in April after eating some bad shrimp and having a case of the runs. I got over that and one week later I begin to have trouble walking and lost my feet and legs over a couple of days. I finally went to er room at Jasper Ga. and the MD there dx it but had to have a neuro to confirm. I got 5 ivig over a week and was sent home. I am 70 and was in good shape for my age and had never spent a night in the hosp. I hiked all over the mts of n georgia and sure miss being able to do that. I really pushed over the summer to get back to normal and I will tell you now that it did not help me do it any faster. I had several days when I was so fatigued, I felt like just giving it up. I have a great wife of 50 years and she kept me going. I am 10 months in and take the neurotin and now and then a tramadol, but the foot pain and bone ache in the legs reminds me of the nerve damage every day. I now watch my activity level and let the body heal as it will. The site has been a great place to get information and try different meds that worked for others. Everyone is different and you have to find a combination that works best for you. I am still trying things to relieve my foot pain. Good luck and just give it time and find new ways of doing things. I can still type so it helps to be able to e-mail and keep in touch with friends.

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 6:32 pm

Hi all, Thanks for the replys, just came back from filling new perscrition for 8 mg gabapentin 212.00 for 90 pills one month supply woooooooow, gg

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 6:44 pm

Erin sells : to start your own thread you need to click on new thread, I think it shows up on the left hand side of screen. You can also email me at
      [email]cara922@ptd.net[/email].

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 8:42 pm

Gene and Erin,

Welcome both of you to the family. Glad to hear that you are both doing better. Take care of yourself and if we can ever do anything just let us know.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 10:11 pm

hi erin & welcpme,

try amitriptyline instead of ambium. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2007 at 1:00 pm

Hi G. G., welcome to the Family. Glad you are recovering well, please don’t be in tooo much of a hurry and push yourself too fast. Please feel free to ask any questions, add your 2 cents, and vent whenever you need to. Would love to see your wife post on here also. Take care.:)

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2007 at 2:04 pm

Hi Cheryl, Thanks for the warm welcome im doing great, walking is ok cant go long distance but enough to get around. I just pushed up my neurotin to 2400 a day seems to be working. I already found out the hard way not to push to hard, taking it a lot slower now. Gene is right rest and more rest, i have 2 very large dogs both weigh over 100 lbs, i used to walk them, thats over now im lucky if I can walk myself, keeping the faith but have slippage now and then….Im very very happy to have beaten the hangman IM ALIVE and enjoying every day, you take care, gg

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2007 at 5:40 pm

G.G.,

Welcome! So great to hear how well you are doing. Your story is an inspiration for others.

Best wishes on further recovery,

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2007 at 5:45 pm

Erinsells,

Sorry to hear about the rough year you’ve had, but glad that you are on the road to recovery.

This is a great place to find out about GBS. If you haven’t already done so, I suggest that you request the Patient, and the Doctor’s pamphlets from the Foundation. They are free to GBS patients. They contain lots of good information for your and for your caregivers.

Feel free to ask any questions you want, vent your frustrations, and help others here.

Best wishes,

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2007 at 11:26 am

Hello Gene,
      I just wanted to welcome a fellow New Yorker. I am out on Long Island, the home of the Smithtown Bull! Once in awhile this foundation will have a meeting at the Lighthouse School for the blind in NYC. We are welcome to attend, it’s put together for us. The home page (not our forum) should have a link that tells you when and where the meeting are.

I have CIDP and cannot really relate to GBS.

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2007 at 11:41 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, my daughter lives in huntinton im there quite offten. The meeting souds good ill check on the date, thanks again. gg