just feeling a little on the down side

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2006 at 5:58 am

hi to everyone!

I am about 26yrs old and have seen GBS twice in my life. Once when I was aged five and later at 23. Since I was so young when I first had it, seems like i never had any memory of it and I fully recovered. I struggled 3 yrs back with it. And yes I was back in action fully in about 11 months time. Recently got my foot drop operated upon and i am fairly satisfied with the results. I got married couple of months back and its a bliss!
      I often read these forums and its a strange kind of belongingness i feel to everyone here. Im my part of the world …not many people know or understand this syndrome. Sometimes I have doubts/ questions in my mind about children (that we might plan to have in future) and about how my old age is going to be. My days with GBS were the worst period of my life and i really fear it so much…I am so happy in my current state…so content….and want it to remain this way. When I read about people suffering from post GBS many years later ..or GBS post pregancies it scares me and …i am worried for myself.
      I know it is a difficult question….but is there anything (dietary or excercise) one can do ….so that GBS never hits us again…
      I am looking for answers and eager to plan my married life and old age ….to stay healthy and fit…
      I welcome all experiences and recommendations…

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2006 at 6:28 am

hi preeti & welcome,

eat healthy, take a multi vit & 400 units of vit E daily, & rest when you are tired. but mostly stay away from the triggering mechanism that caused your gbs attacks. most here say it is ok to get pregnant. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2006 at 7:41 am

Mornign Pretti,

If you find a “magical” elixer please let me know first! :rolleyes: Gene has all the answers that I know of….but I am here to tell you that stress (yes, even stress caused by worrying all the time) is a big factor in my GBS/CIDP…so…let it go (I know, I know…easier said than done)

God Bless on your new marriage and come back and let us know how you are doing.

Stephen

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2006 at 8:28 am

Hello Preeti,
      I went to a gbs/cidp meeting onetime and a very great doctor told everyone not to be afraid to move forward with their lives. He said if you want to have babies, go ahead and do it. Learn what makes you feel better, things like naps, and control stress which is a trigger.

[url]http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/3779/yellowroseop7.gif[/url]

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2006 at 10:49 am

Preeti,

I don’t have any specific advice but i wanted to say welcome to our family, perhaps some of the others who have been through pregnancy post-GBS will respond. Take care.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2006 at 11:35 pm

thanks everyone for writing in !
      Hi Gene, thanks for responding…yes i do try to take care of my diet. I do not really know what triggered my GBS, but i was overloaded with work at that time and i was down with high fever. I was given some kind of an antibiotic medicine by a doctor which i never had before. And its so surprising that after my GBS i never had fever again….in almost 3 yrs!
      hi morrada…yes i do believe stress causes so much trouble…its hard to keep it at bay….im a perpetual worrier…
      its really a great thing to see so many people around here…who have braved GBS…
      but its so rare in india…even some doctors dont know about it!

cheers!

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2006 at 1:20 pm

Hi Preeti,

Welcome to join us. Reading your postings, I feel you are almost recovered from GBS.

Can you tell me how do you know that u were attacked by GBS at the age of 5 years. Were your Doc sure that it was GBS?

I am just asking bcaz at the age of 16 in 1976 I had also somewhat similar problem. That time I was bed ridden for about 3 to 4 months. Now I do not remember whether that was GBS or what and/or what was the diagnosis.
      Secondly, what I gathered from members over here, after reading so many threads, that recurring of GBS is very very rear.

Last year I was in hospital in Mumbai due to GBS and after administering proper IVIG dose, I recovered almost 90/95%.

Take care and try to be happy in all the situations.