Just Diagnosed with CIDP, IVIG?

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2006 at 8:26 am

Hi everyone

I was just diagnosed with CIDP at Hopkins, and I’ll start IVIG as soon as insurance issues are ironed out. Evidently, my IVIG will be administered for 5 hours a day over 4 days, at my home. Any advice/insights about this whole process?

Thanks!

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2006 at 11:45 am

Hi Meadow and welcome. My best advice for the infusion process is to pre-med with Tylenol and Benadryl each day before your infusion and to also drink lots of water before. Those steps will help minimize any possible side affects. Glad you found us, take care and good luck with your infusions.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2006 at 12:13 pm

Thanks Jerimy

So, if I bring work home (4 days is alot of time off!!) will I be likely up to it?

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2006 at 11:11 pm

I am sure you will be able to do some work during the infusions ( I am usually on my computer the whole time during mine every month). You should expect to be pretty tired so I wouldn’t expect to get a whole lot done until you are sure how you react, and how you feel, during and after. Good luck and I hope it works well for you, it sure has for me.

Jerimy

PS-Meadow I am curious if that is your real name, the reason I ask is I went to school with a girl named Meadow which I always thought was such a unique name.

• Anonymous
      July 10, 2006 at 9:45 am

Hi Jerimy

Meadow’s not my real name — its Helen. I started using Meadow (its the name of the street I live on!) on line years ago when I started frequenting diabetes boards. There I post about my son, and to protect his safety I try to be as anonymous as possible. Meadow has just become a habit for me, I guess!

Its good to hear that IVIG has been successful for you. Reading these boards is a little scary because people with severe problems sometimes post the most, and severe neuropathy is just plain scary.

I have very mild symptoms now in my hands and feet, no pain, just significant numbness and some paralysis in one foot. However, my face and neck are getting numb, and this has elevated the urgency to start treatment asap.

I keep fluctuating back and forth between being relieved that this is “just” CIDP and horrified about how thing could develop. lol, this must be what bi-polar feels like!

• Anonymous
      July 10, 2006 at 2:05 pm

Ahh ok Helen 🙂

I think you will find with most medical related forums that the people with the most issues tend to post the most and stay around. Many people come, post a few times, start doing better and move on. Just like with everything else there are varying degrees of severity among us, also there are several types of CIDP. Don’t get discouraged, ask lots of questions if you need to, we are here to help however we can.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      July 10, 2006 at 8:50 pm

Hi Meadow,
      I know that Jeremy suggested premedicating with Tylenol and Benedril, and that may be necessary for you, however, I do not need premedication. So you may not either. I get 3 days of infusions every 4 weeks. Each treatment is done at the out patient dept of the Hosp. and takes about 4 hours. I usually read, work crosswords, watch T V, and they even bring lunch if I am there at noon ! P S. I have a medi port. It is the easiest way to go. God bless you Meadow
      Mary Ann

• Anonymous
      July 10, 2006 at 9:03 pm

Hi Meadow,

I agree with everything Jerimy has already said. Most important is drink plenty of liquids a day or so before and that day and the day after (I only get IVIG every 28 or 30 days for 1 day, 60 GMs). I don’t usually drink much fluid that is why I am reinforcing this. I feel better if I do. Sometimes I am very tried after. My advice is don’t plan to do much after but hang around the house. I used to plan thing then get very frusrated that I could not or didn’t feel very good doing them. I usually just feel fuzzy headed and have headaches on and off that day and the following one or two days. Not a big deal. Worse feeling was like I had the flu for about 12 hours headache and achy feeling.

Good luck.

Pam K

• Anonymous
      July 11, 2006 at 3:22 am

Hi Meadow,

I also have a port, but I do not recommend one, as you are only starting. I have had some of my infusions at work, but I think that will vary between care givers. Good luck!!!

• Anonymous
      July 11, 2006 at 6:13 pm

Thanks everyone. I’ll certainly have some tylenol and benedryl on hand when I start. Still waiting for a date.

• Anonymous
      July 11, 2006 at 9:31 pm

Another thing you might consider is having a Walkman and play some relaxing music during the procedure. That was very helpful for me during treatments.
      Good luck,
      Pat

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2006 at 9:37 am

I start IVIG on Tuesday. The company that is administering it called me on Friday to go over everything. They are acually including Benedryl and Tylenol with the meds that will be shipped Monday evening — along with emergency supplies in case of a negative reaction. I’m pretty nervous about this now…

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2006 at 11:37 am

[QUOTE=Meadow]I start IVIG on Tuesday. The company that is administering it called me on Friday to go over everything. They are acually including Benedryl and Tylenol with the meds that will be shipped Monday evening — along with emergency supplies in case of a negative reaction. I’m pretty nervous about this now…[/QUOTE]

I had several IVIG treatments over about 18 months, at a day patient facility where there were usually half a dozen other people getting it as well. Any time someone sticks a needle in you to infuse something there are potential problems, which is why the “emergency supplies” — that is not something to worry about, just one of those appropriate precautions, like having a life jacket on a boat.

Likewise, the common reactions to IVIG — rash (I’ve never had it), headache (had a few times, treated it like any other headache), flu-like symptoms (they go away, the best thing is to rest) and fatigue — are not so much a worry as an inconvenience. If you respond to the IVIG, they will be overshadowed in importance by the difference in strength, energy and feeling that you will experience.

So don’t worry. Think about healing instead.

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2006 at 12:27 pm

Meadow,
      Welcome To Are Little Group.
      I Agree With Everything Said About Premedicating With Tylenol And Benedryl. You Might Also Try Using Caffiene (coffee, Tea, Chocalate) If You Start Getting Headaches From The Ivig. It Worked Great For Me.
      Larry

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2006 at 10:24 pm

Meadow,

Don’t be nervous, they have us premed just in case, however the most common issue I have ever gotten is a headache or hangover feeling but nothing major. Good luck with the infusion, let us know how it goes for you.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 6:04 pm

My first day has been delayed to tomorrow. The nurse that was scheduled to start me had car problems — car overheated on the beltway. I DO feel bad or her, but, heck, now I have to worry for another 24 hours. 🙁

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2006 at 8:36 am

Good luck today :). Sending good thoughts your way.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2006 at 3:46 pm

First of all, thanks for your kind and positive posts.

I did survive my first day of IVIG, and no side effects! Except for the Benedryl, which makes me loopy!! Kind of like 3 glasses of wine — on an empty stomach, lol. I suspect that people sleep during the infusions to escape the boredom! So one down and three to go!

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2006 at 8:27 pm

I used to read magazines, books etc and listen to music during my infusions at the hospital. Since I get mine done at home now I am able to be on the computer and watch tv during it. You should inquire about home infusions and see if that is an option in your case. I am usually pretty wired during the infusion, its after and the next day that I feel so tired. Good luck with your next infusion.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2006 at 5:48 am

Jerimy – I am at home! My husband and I were just discussing how lousy this would be if I had to go somewhere for the infusions. I do still feel OK, but yesterday’s nurse did indicate that every infusion can cause a different reaction.

• Anonymous
      July 24, 2006 at 6:29 pm

I’ve finished my first round of treatments I am feeling GOOD! lol. Evidently I was experiencing fatigue that I didn’t realize I had. And (drumroll pls) I can lift my toes off of the ground –barely, but off the ground nevertheless. It was not all rosey, I was sort of sick on the seond and third days, but we just went really slowly on the infusions. Thanks for all of your suppoirt — hurdle #1 is behnd me.