just a quick question

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2006 at 8:41 am

Hi everyone,
      Well, I am sure this is a common question. Now that we are home out of the hospital my son is healing very well. However,we are in our second month of being home and I am not working. My sons father is a current student at Virginia Tech trying to finish up his last year. I just recieved news that I no longer have my job. I went to the state for help and now recieve TANF and food stamps. Its all great that these programs are here…..but it still isn’t enough to cover my bills. The only choice we are looking at is having to put my son in daycare again…….and believe me thats the very last thing I want to do. How did everyone else survive through this hard time? Any uplifting or Advice would be great right now!
      Thank you,
      Heather

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2006 at 11:00 am

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. I am recovering from GBS, and I know what it’s like. I didnt have any benefits b/c I was part time, because I too was in nursing school when it happened. OUr savings are drained, and we are scraping by. Were you fired because of taking care of your child? If your employer has more than 50 employees, that is illegal because of the FMLA law. Did you try social security for your son? Dont know if it will work but it’s worth a shot. Hope this helps.

Cara

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2006 at 11:12 am

Hi Heather,

What a person should do financially is a tough question. Lifestyle is usually the last thing looked at. I can’t blame anyone for not wanting a kid in daycare. That much I do know. Do you feel things will only last months longer, and then things will return to the way they were, or do you feel it will be quite sometime, like over a year, under financial stress? It can take a complete reorginization from top to bottom on family finances, to having to do very little adjusting. Assets, spending habits, types of bills, all figure into it. What options a person has. Priorities. Consoladation loans and stuff like that. The importent part, or key to me is, what are you willing to give up? While I was in the hospitals for 10 months, I had my wife sell our house and one of my cars. I could have waited to take on water to the point of loosing it all, but this allowed my family to move sideways in lifestyle, saving hundreds and hundreds of dollars a month. A little smaller place, in another location, just as nice, was the tradeoff. My daughter was put out, and it disrupted everyone’s lifestyle, no getting around that, but tough. They all look back at that mean monster who pulled the rug out from under them, but now, they understand, and are more appreciative of that tough thinking back then. They realized it saved the big picture, and not immediate needs. Each state is different on their program administration, which sounds like you are already in those, but you might look at the national caregiver site for direction on other programs. Maybe social security can help. Sure isn’t fun. I hope you get threw it.

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2006 at 11:22 am

Thanks,
      You have to be working with a company for 12 months in order to get FMLA. I just started working at a bank in March and then in April my son got sick. I will look into other programs tho and hope to find something more. Thanks for your help.

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2006 at 10:22 pm

heather, sorry you’re going through soo much difficulty. try going for ss for your babe. there is ss for kids with health issues and their caregivers. disability isn’t just for older or working people. good luck and take care.:)