IVIG temperature

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2009 at 11:52 am

Yesterday I received my 90 grams of monthly IVIG.

In the morning the IVIG goes through the tubing esily but as the day progresses there are more bubbles in the line and the pump keeps detecting “air”.

I was wondering if anyone has noticed a difference if the IVIG is cold all day.
      Mine is taken out of refrigerator in the lab when I first get there and then sits on the counter all day.

My other therory is that the bubbles just build up all day and as more time goes by more bubbles are in the line.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
      Rhonda from Canada

• September 16, 2009 at 12:43 pm

We LEAVE the bottle out purposeley to get to room temperature so that it is not cold going into the veins. My uneducated answer, the bubles are created by movement of the bottle/solution, perhaps infact the detergents used in the processing. Even the very nature of turning the bottle upside down to start the infusion causes problems. Incidentally, we very rarely have the occlussion alarm go off, is the tubing kinked somewhere causing a problem, has this always happened? Good luck!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2009 at 12:56 pm

IVIG, by nature, is a very bubbly medication. Like Dawn said moving it around makes it even more bubbly.

Emily has had reactions from IVIG only when there were too many champagne bubbles in it. I have heard that others have reactions as well. This is definetly something you should consider & speak with the nurses about.

Apparently there is tubing with a filter built right in to take the air bubbles out. The new nurse used it during Emily’s last infusion. You might want to ask your infusion center if they have that tubing available.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Dawn and Kelly

Thanks for the info, I’ll ask about the special tubing with the filter.
      It is a small hospital so they might not know about it. Some days we make it with no problem at all and others the alarm keeps going off. I don’t move around too much just lie in a big cosy armchair. The most movement is the occasional trip to the little girls room. 🙂

Thanks again for your knowledge and support!
      Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2009 at 7:49 am

I know this might not be possible in a hospital situation but I not only get my IVIg up to room temperature I also carry those little bottles around in my pocket for a couple of hours to warm them up closer to body temp. And then because I have an infusion pump that does not require the bag to be hanging I put it in a belt pouch and wear it next to my body so it gets a little warmer that way as well. This has worked well for me – I no longer have to pile on 7 blankets and a heating bad to stop shivering.

The bubbles are a pain, I don’t know whether it’s enough to cause problems in our bodies or not, nobody seems to be able to answer that, but it’s a creepy feeling when it looks like champagne is going into your veins. Because I was getting fussy about it my nurse started sucking all the extra air out of the bag after he transfers over the IVIg. Then because I’m still paranoid (can’t help it..) :rolleyes: I pull the bag out now and then and flick it to dislodge the bubbles forming on the sides of the bag. I do NOT do this with the line as my nurse assures me that the liquids will flow around the bubbles and that by dislodging the bubbles in the line I may make the situation worse. Since I’ve been doing all this I haven’t had an occlusion due to air at all. It’s been about 6 months I’d say or 18 infusions. 😀

Right I forgot about the tubing too – we did do that as well starting a few months ago – it’s a little flat square filter that filters out the air bubbles and I think it has it’s own tubing – can’t remember but I’ll go look downstairs when I wake up more and let you know what it’s called.