IVIG stolen!

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2006 at 1:39 pm

I live in an apartment. This morning I went into the communal laundry room & I noticed a box that looked the one that we get from our homecare company sitting next to the garbage can. So I went over to inspect it. It was a box with Emi’s name on it. I look into the garbage & I see medical supplies still packaged up in there. I took everything out & noticed that 1 bottle of 20 grams of IVIG was in the garbage.

OMG!

I packed everything into the box & called the home care company. Luckily our nurse is on call this weekend. She is going to bring our file when she comse on Sunday & we have to find the tracking number for this package because Fed Ex can’t go back that far without the tracking number and the ONLY thing that is missing is the Fed Ex tracking sheet that is put on the top of the box.

I called the police & 1 cop came out. Nothing he can do about it. He’ll put it into the computer that it was found, unharmed. I pointed out to him that there is a bottle of $1850 IVIG that is rationed out by the FDA in there. That someone stole it & held onto it for nearly 3 months. (They also threw away the packing slip from the homecare company).

We think that we didn’t realize that we didn’t receive this shipment because it was at a time when the company was really messing up our deliveries & Emi was relapsing & going from 1 IVIG a week to 3 a week again.

I am FURIOUS that this could happen & I’m even more angry that there is nothing that the police will do. The cop told me that he doesn’t have any suspects. My response was to go QUESTION people to see if anyone noticed someone dumping this box.

I am so sad too. There are people that die if they don’t get their IVIG & this whole dose has to be thrown away now. All of those blood donations were wasted.

I’m going to try to move out of this complex. I don’t know if we can but I just don’t feel good about living amongst a thief. And a thief that is so COLDHEARTED enough to steal someone’s medicine.

Make sure that you have to sign for your IVIG delivery so you don’t come across this problem too.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2006 at 2:00 pm

Kelly,

Your post is extremely disturbing. I always try and believe that there is a certain amount of good in all people, but I am proved wrong all the time. As for the reaction by the police, I think its despicable!! If this was a congressman or someone ‘in power’ the case would be taken further.

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2006 at 4:53 pm

Kelly,

I’m so sorry that this happened to you. It is disheartening to learn that someone would steal medicine meant for your little girl. I guess the good thing that comes of this is that hopefully they will no longer send medications without requiring your signature.

Best wishes for a better experience next time.

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2006 at 11:47 pm

Wow Kelly, I can’t believe that they would even ship something worth that much and not require a signature, that’s crazy.

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2006 at 9:43 pm

Jerimy – the funny thing is about a month after the box was stolen (and I didn’t know that it had been) I had a wierd feeling about them just leaving the packages so I made the home care company make them “signature required”. I too could not believe that they would send (sometimes up to 3) IVIG’s without a signature being required. Just blows my mind.

Ali & Suzanne – I am mad as heck that someone would do that. It’s really freaky knowing that someone in my building would steal like that. I’ve always felt very secure here because you have to be “buzzed” in & I just never felt vulnerable. Now I’m thinking that I need to double check the locks on my doors & windows before I go to sleep.

I wish I would’ve never found that box then I just would’ve never known that it even happened.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2006 at 9:45 pm

Kelly,
      Thanks for putting out the warning. I am starting to receive meds by mail, will ask for signature required. I can’t beleive this has happened to you with all of your other problems. I keep Emmi and Del in prayer all the time. and this is just one more thing. It is amazing that it was kept for 3 months and put there where you could find it. Wow.
      Mary Ann

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2006 at 6:49 pm

Mary Ann – Thanks for keeping Emi in your prayers. It really means alot to us that so many people are pulling for our girl.

I am very shocked that someone would 1) steal another person’s meds and 2) dump the evidence in the communal laundry area & leave the box on the floor. I have a good idea of who did it & they don’t seem smart enough to be a good criminal. OBVIOUSLY!

I think it was a teenager in my building. I think he opened the box & when he realized that there wasn’t anything in there of use to him he hid the box. Then when he felt that no one would be looking for it anymore he decided to dump the evidence. Or he just didn’t know what to do & kind of freaked out. That’s why he didn’t have enough sense to carry the box out to the dumpster & then no one would’ve ever known.

I wrote out a letter that explains CIDP & what happens when sufferes don’t get their meds. I’m going to make copies & put them on everyone’s door. I’m hoping that someone that saw the “jerk” will come forward & then I’ll have evidence that it was this teenager.

I will NEVER have another package delivered here without it being signature required. And it doesn’t surprise me that it happened to us. I think our family has accepted that 2006 is just not going to be kind to us & that “when it rains it pours”. We’re hoping that 2007 is much nicer, LOL.

Kelly