IVIg holdup but I’m getting a wheelchair!

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2007 at 12:13 pm

I finally called the insurance agency and they said my doctor needs to call the nurse before they can authorize the IVIg – since it’s been nearly 2 weeks I’m wondering when they were going to get around to letting us know but I didn’t want to antagonize her so I let it go… I let the doctor know so we’re back in the waiting game again. I must admit my patience is getting thinner and snarly around the edges as I get weaker.

HOWEVER, I’ve been helping a friend throughout the years by doing some little graphics jobs for him – mostly music/band posters with tour dates etc. Nothing major but coindentally he sells medical equipment so I asked if he had any advice on what kind of wheelchair to get and he went ahead and sent me one. It’s a lightweight nylon wheelchair that he says is portable. Wow! I’m overwhelmed at his generosity! And I can’t wait to test it out! I’ll probably get it towards the end of October as he says they are back ordered right now. What a dude! You can COUNT on me decorating it for Halloween and I’ll take pictures!

Julie

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2007 at 8:21 pm

sort of ‘pay-back’!!!! You give, you get back…sometimes with ‘interest’, the kind you never thought or expected…What a bonus!
      Docs offices can take a while to get the right home service and all, or even set it up at a hospital…the paperwork I’ve found for this stuff from insurance companies is extensive, and every participant [pharmacy, doc’s office, hospitals, nursing services] all have to be coordinated so the ‘papperwork’ flows to each responsible persons’ satisfaction.
      ONCE YOU ARE IN the systems tho…it’s all thrusters at warp factor 10! Then it goes so fast it can make you dizzy! Just be cool and as informed about it as you can be!
      As for wheelchairs? I’ve been avoiding or in denial about that prospect for quite a while..The two winters w/leg and foot fractures have taught me differently tho. However that all means the dreaded words HOUSE REMODEL! as the chair doesn’t go in or out of some doors easily nor the steps into and out of the house. I am trying fiercey to stay as ‘mobile’ as I can…tho it’s not pretty it’s working? On bad days tho…I sure do WISH! Good deal!

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2007 at 11:08 pm

Julie,
      I believe it’s called “Pay it Forward” by some? We sometimes forget that there are so many really wonderful people out there. I can walk, but choose to use my power chair part of the day to save on my energy level as well as my legs. It makes a wonderful computer chair, as well as a chair to read the newspaper. But I got it over 5 years ago when I was at my worst, so the insurance company never questioned it.

I also have a brand new manual wheelchair which was given to me by the same company that I bought my power chair from; they just never charged me for it even though I left messages. Incidentally, years ago they also wrote off one of my son’s wheelchairs when the insurance company was balking at paying for it. Maybe the owner (who knows us well) just couldn’t believe that one family could be hit so hard twice?
      Pam

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2007 at 12:38 am

Julie

Congrats!!!! What a nice gesture your friend is doing for you. You’ll be doing
      “wheelies” before you know it. I got my prescription for a wheelchair from my
      GP, it was garbage. When I needed a new one, my neuro wrote the script,
      called my insurance the same day and two days later I had it delievered by
      the company. They took off the plastic for me and said to call them if I
      would ever need parts. The arms lift up and back so I can transfer to my
      bed etc. It’s neat, but expensive…$500.00, but I only paid $50.00 as the
      co-payment.

Homeagain: :confused:

My house isn’t wheelchair oriented either, however, you make adjustments.
      I can get into all bedrooms, but not the bathrooms. To get into them, I
      have a computer chair with wheels in the one bathroom I use, so, I transfer
      to that and do what I need to do. PT’s said, “Oh, that’s dangerous, you
      should remove the frames on your bathrooms so you can get in”. No, I
      don’t want my house looking like a home for that. They said I should take
      up the wall-to-wall carpeting because it will be hard to get around. No, I
      would rather fall on carpeting than tile or wood floors. I don’t use the feet
      on the chair, I walk with them in the chair…it builds hamstring muscles.
      My house has a one foot drop to the walkway…my sister built a wood ramp, painted it to the color of my house and it’s permanent. There are wood
      railings to hold onto, with lots of plants around the whole front area.
      There are lots of things you can do with a wheelchair.

Miami Girl

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2007 at 4:13 pm

Well the doctor told me that my insurance company is “still considering my case” and that he is providing them an IGG America with additional information to try to get the approval. 😡 I’m thinking of taking the leash off my husband and letting him go to work on the insurance agency…

P.S. The house we bought 11 years ago was owned/remodeled by the older couple who lived here before us – it’s not perfect but I don’t think I will need to remodel if I have to use the wheelchair at home. Thank goodness, I doubt we could afford it!

• September 25, 2007 at 5:12 pm

Julie,

I just wanted to let you know that your husband seems like a great guy. You mention him frequently, he must be a strong shoulder for you to lean on! I am happy for you that you have such great support from home. I hope the insurance issue works out and you get that wheelchair!!!

Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2007 at 5:31 pm

Dawn,
      He is, he is – he is my biggest advocate and best supporter but he kicks me in the rear when I need it and I don’t even get mad at him! :p We were very lucky to have been set up by close friends many years ago, we had both lost our significant others’ and so became friends for three or four years before we realized we loved each other and got married. We have a wonderful life and I don’t know what I would do without him, we are perfect for each other! Plus he loves dogs. 😉

Julie

P.S. The wheelchair is not what my insurance is balking on – it’s the IVIg – a friend is giving me a wheelchair so I don’t have to fight them for that at least!

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2007 at 7:36 pm

[QUOTE=homeagain]As for wheelchairs?…. However that all means the dreaded words HOUSE REMODEL! as the chair doesn’t go in or out of some doors easily nor the steps into and out of the house. [/QUOTE]

Hi, my SIL using plywood and some 2×4 installed a ramp in the garage that works great. There is just enough space for one car.

……………………wall …………………….
      . _____________________________
      . | ___________________________|
      x | |
      x |_| < door ...................................... garage door . kind of like that. The slope is just right.