IVIG brands you use

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2008 at 6:00 am

I know everyone reacts differently to different brands, but I was curious about which brands of IVIg people on the board are using.

Have you found for you yourself that one brand is more effective/less effective than another? Does one brand have more/less side effects over another for you?

Thanks!

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2008 at 9:45 am

Emily gets Gammaguard liquid.

She’s only ever received Gammaguard. In the hospital they used the powder & she had reactions. Since starting home care & using the liquid she’s been fine.

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2008 at 10:17 am

Hi Ally,
      I’m currently getting Gamunex. I’ve had Carimune in the past. Neither has produced side effects, with the exception of the one time I wasn’t pre-medicated with 125 mg of Solumedrol. That time (Gamunex), I started itching all over and my lips began to swell. An IV injection of Solumedrol had me feeling fine within 15 minutes.

Reactions seem to increase as the dosage increases. I didn’t have any problems when I was receiving a 400 mg/kg/day dosage. When the dosage was increased to 600 mg/kg/day, the Solumedrol was necessary to suppress the itching and swelling.

Here’s a chart that compares the different brands of IgG.

[url]http://www.ashp.org/s_ashp/docs/files/DShort_IVIGsidebysideupdatedDec07.pdf[/url]

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2008 at 10:34 am

I get Gammugard powder. I get 60 gms in about 4.5 hrs and really don’t have alot of issues. I premed with Tylenol and drink lots of liguids. I feel sort of tired for about 2 days but that is it for me. I feel fortunate when I read what some go thru.

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2008 at 4:16 pm

I have only ever received Carimmune NF. It has been 4 years, I initially had severe headaches but those dissipated with the use of oral dexamethasone and Tylenol.

It’s been 4 years now, and I only have a mild, occasional headache now. I was weaned off of the dex after about a year.

I find the infusions are effective for me for my CIDP. (I have not been successfully able to take an immunosuppresant so I am still maintained on infusions). If I could tolerate an immunosuppresant without severe neutropenia I will be changed over to one and weaned off the infusions as tolerated.

So far, my neutropenia is too severe, — next up to try will be cyclosporine.

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 10:59 am

I have been on octigam since I started treatment. I have done very well with it. I think next appt in Dec my neuro may switch me to a cheaper brand, but he wanted me on the octigam from the start.

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 2:53 pm

I started out on Gammagard, then went to a hospital where the ‘brand’ was routinely changed w/out notice [as available-even tho appointments were made 2 weeks in advance]
      I have had: Gammagard, Gammagard Liquid, Gammagard Powder and Polygam…all of which were charged to my insurance company as ‘Gammagard’. The FDA clearly states that should an IVIG product be substituted from the physicians prescribed brand, that the IG provider MUST notify that physician within 10 working days and that the physician must notify the patient within another 10 days of ANY stubstition. Why? Because some reactions and allergies can and do occur.
      I am now on Gammunex and am so far happy with it.
      Reactions I have gotten are a skin rash which has been successfully treated with steroid ointments, and the usual headaches, for which LOTS of benedryl prior to treatment is taken.
      I have had some severe reactions, mainly headache-wise, but only once – due to a poorly prepared/handled batch of an alternate brand – the kind of headache categorized as ‘aseptic meningitis’. That reaction is the only BAD one I have had in the 4-5 years I have had infusions. So compared to many I cannot complain at all.
      I suggest that you check out IG Living Magazine and a sponsor of theirs FFF Enterprises? Why? Because they post monthly the going gram rate for different brands of IVIG. The costs per gram for this has increased almost double since I’ve been on it and the difference in BRAND vs. cost varies somewhat.. One is substantially less than others? Look at the sources and how they are manufactured…lots of it is a ‘mystery-or trade secret’ but lots of it is clear and open to learn about.