IVIG brand switch problems?

• Anonymous
      July 28, 2012 at 1:41 pm

About 4 weeks ago due to a supply issue my weekly IVIG infusion Brand was switched from Carrimune to Octogam. The 1st 2 weeks seemed fine with the 3rd week showing some deline and the 4th week I crashed and burned. Went from wlking fair,being pretty independent & some strength to a point of bedridden & could not even lift a toothbrush. Doc found “enough” carrimune for this week but after 24 hrs I didn’t see much change. He called in a dose pak of methylprednisolone that I started last night & am rebounding VERY well by this morning. Not sure if it’s the IVIG kicking in or the steroids. My Neuro was unsure and didn’t know if the it was the meds or the disease progression but i am MUCH better today! 6 more weeks ’till a trip to Chicago for a sct evaluation.

Has anyone else seen a similar response with IVIG brand changes ? The Neuro’s office i use also has Gammex which I have asked to gain approval for instead of the Octogam.

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2012 at 5:04 am

It’s certainly possible to respond different to different IVIG brands. For instance, I had febrile neutropenia with Gammaguard, but didn’t have the issue on Privigen.

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Yes. I’m fine when I get Octagam or Flebbogamma but have major reactions when I get Gamunex or Gammaguard.

• January 30, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Have your tried Gamunex brand IVIG? It is processed differently than other brands and is reported to have fewer side effects. I took this brand for about a year at a 250 rate with no side effects. Only one benadryl tab and two extra strength tylenol as premed. My experience is exact opposite of AllyinCali’s. As with most all CIDP treatments, each person reacts and responds differently. Just have to keep after it until you hit on the combination that works best for you. Good luck.

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Just switched from Carrimune to Privigen.  No real change.  Mild flu like symptoms from both.  I guess Carimune is off the market.

I have been getting the infusions at home with the nurse hooking me up, monitoring me for an hour then leaving.  I unhook myself and fedex the pump back to Hopkins.  When I switched to Privigen, the doctor had the nurse stay the whole time for the first two infusions just in case.