IVIg and lab tests

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2009 at 4:12 pm

I just had an IVIg on Monday. I want to have a thyroid panel done but was not sure if the IVIg will give me “different” results due to the large pool of people (and their hormones) in the IVIg. I thought I had seen on this forum that this sometimes happened but lost the posting.
      Does anyone know if IVIg will affect a thyroid panel and/or what would people on this forum recommend for time between IVIg and a thyroid panel (days, weeks, etc).
      Thanks!!

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2009 at 8:46 am

but it mite affect some other CBC or CMP testings. [complete blood counts, complete metabolic panels]
      I always try to get my labs done at a lab the day before I start my infusions. It’s had to get doctors to accept this idea tho, but I have so many doctors myself, that this way I can get a copy of the tests done for my other doctors. I always bring copies of any tests done by any other doctor to my appointment-because doc A doesn’t know what tests doc B did.
      Hope this helps!

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2009 at 9:14 am

I ask the nurse who cannulates me for my infusions to take blood before she starts the infusion. That way I only have to be stabbed once (unless it takes several tries for the cannula 😮 ) and it alleviates the problem of the infusion affecting the blood tests.

Keep fighting,

Deb
      London

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2009 at 11:41 am

Hi Kristen,

I saw my Rheumatologist last week and he said IVIg can definately affect blood tests – for example my high ANA level could be caused by the IVIg, and my previously fluctuating thyroid hormone levels could and probably are caused by the IVIg. If I could remember the timing of when I had treatment vs. the blood tests I could likely tell you for sure. I never thought IVIg could affect things like that – but then again, I didn’t go to Med. School. 🙂 I’m waiting until the end of my 2 weeks off to get some more tests done but he says even waiting two weeks after IVIg might not be long enough not to be reading someone else’s antibodies and stuff.

Julie