Itchy lesions

• Anonymous
      February 17, 2009 at 3:12 pm

FYI – I finally had those itchy lesions biopsied. I’ve had them since last March but always assumed they were due to the IVIg since getting IVIg really makes them itch. Turns out they are squamous cell skin cancer – not a big deal – but it seems the IVIg was/has been attacking the cancer and thus making it itch and get red (according to the dermatologist). SO – if you have itchy red places – go get them biopsied. I would never have thought cancer, I only got them biopsied to appease my sister-in-law. As I said it’s no big deal, the one on my chest will be a one-stop office visit to remove it and the one on my face may take a little longer but is also no big deal. She said very little chance of it spreading internally – they are superficial. Sigh. I should have biopsied them a long time ago. 😮

• Anonymous
      February 18, 2009 at 10:16 am

I’m glad you got them checked out!

A few years back my grandma got a mole biopsied. She’s had the mole FOREVER and it was cancerous. The dermatologist removed it right in the office & it only took a few minutes. My grandma said the whole thing was no big deal.

When are you going in for the removal?

Kelly

• Anonymous
      February 19, 2009 at 7:32 am

My mother is having a fit because her mother died of skin cancer but the one on my chest is coming off today and the one on my face March 5th. ARGH. The doc says they are shallow and not likely to have spread but you know how Mom’s are… :rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      February 19, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Speedy healthy recovery Julie! I am glad you listened to your Mom and got these spots checked out! LOL Moms just do those things it is programed into them. Just look how many grey hairs you have given her already! 😮

• Anonymous
      February 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Makes it one less thing to worry about for sure.
      I get some mole or ‘spot’ removed about every other year for ages before I even got CIDP…so far, now, all are benign [knock wood], but it’s best to check and eliminate any possibilities. It mite hurt at first? But not for long, and then dealing with the scab w/potions etc. are all that are necessary.
      The peace of mind in the long term is priceless!

• Anonymous
      February 20, 2009 at 7:41 am

The surgery went fine but seems to have activated my disease a bit – some numbness today, tripping etc. I’m sure I’ll be right as rain in a few days, if not treatment is on Tuesday.

I’m not surprised about the skin cancer, I was never that careful as a child and got burned a lot. Of course I’ve avoided the sun for the last 20 years but that doesn’t counteract the earlier stupidity. :rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2009 at 11:50 am

The second surgery went as expected – it crushed me. But I’m still kinda laughing because first off most of my face is numb and drooping – except for the left side from my eye upwards where the cancer was taken off – that side got a little mini face lift. So I’m pretty much like Two-Face or half of the Joker with one eyebrow raised, one cheek not sagging as much etc. It’s kinda funny to look at but I’m seriously hoping the skin will stretch back out and not leave me permanently looking sarcastic. And unfortunately that eyelid wants to stay open even more now – why do people do this to themselves on purpose – it’s NUTS!

I never felt a thing during or after the surgery – peripheral neuropathy has it’s advantages – but as usual it seems to kick the CIDP into overdrive. The Dermatologist who did the surgey did an incredible job (it’s not his fault I only had cancer on one side and thus the facelift) and you couldn’t even see where the surgery was done 24 hours later. He even used clear stiches so they blended right in. It’s called the Mohs technique so if you ever have to have skin cancer removed make sure they do this technique. It takes awhile because they only cut a little bit at a time and once they have clear margins they stop. But hey – like I said 24 hours later you couldn’t even see the cut line.

Now I’ve got to get all those other places looked at too – who ever thought IVIg could be an cancer indicator? Both dermatologists were amazed that I found them because of the IVIg but not really surprised.

Julie

P.S. I forgot to mention that my Rheumatologist says the issues with my fingers getting red, blistery, white, sweating when cold etc. are caused by autonomic nerve system damage “You can’t blame Mr. ANA for that one” he says. Which kinda stinks because that means it’s a new symptom. Sigh.