it gets better

• Anonymous
      November 24, 2006 at 9:10 pm

Hi all,

I don’t visit this site often anymore. I try once a year on the anniversary date of my onset to post a message of hope for those dealing with the more immediate effects of GBS. The date was Nov. 14, 2000. I find it hard to imagine that the date slipped by me without my even noticing, but here it is ten days past and I just now remembered. I don’t recognize but a few of the names I see on the boards so I know that few, if any, remember me so let me tell you about my case. I was 46 yo at the time with a wife and 4 yo boy. On a Tuesday night my toes started tingling while I was doing dishes. Within a week I was almost completely paralysed from the waste down. Couldn’t feed myself or brush my teeth. The symptoms peaked about three weeks in and turned around slowly. Had nine pp treatments. I was back home after fifty days in the hospital, back to full-time work as a cabinet-maker in just over six months from onset. Dealt with fatigue for another couple years.

I know others have had it much worse than I. And I know for some the injuries are permanent. For those I can only offer my sympathy and encouragement. However for the fortunate majority I can offer the hope that cases like mine mean that you too will recover most if not all function. It may be slow and frustrating, but improvement will happen even if not total recovery. Understand this: About a month ago I realized that I had finally recovered complete feeling in my toes–no tingling, no numbness, no nothing.
      While I was frequenting this wonderful website an older gentleman who suffered from foot-drop, I forget his name, had a sudden recovery of feeling in his feet, also about six years after. You must understand: As terrible as this disease is, as gruesome as the devastation of one’s body and life, as frustrating and fatiguing as this all is, there is hope as long as you don’t give up.

I offer you this mantra, this prayer, this hope: Never give up, never give in.

My best to all of you,

Tom Kurth

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2006 at 12:46 am

Tom ~ thank you for your words of encouragement 🙂 I have days where I long to be back in the working society . . . but then I remember how far I have come in the past 11+ years and a spark of hope springs up. Thank you for adding to it. And congratulations on your recovery!

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2006 at 5:59 pm

Thanks for the post, Tom. I hope Ben’s drop foot will suddenly go away too. It’s going on two years for him.

Shannon

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2006 at 9:04 pm

GBS bit me when I was in my late 40’s. I was paralized from the waist down. 5 PP treatments, pulminary embolism, wheel chair for 6 months. I now drive and work full time. My feet always hurt and my arm strength is low. GBS for me was like being in a really bad car wreck. Wish the best to all.