Is Neurontin for nerve healing or pain, or both?

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2010 at 2:29 am

My “person” with GBS was prescribed 300mg of Neurontin, twice a day. He doesn’t like the side effects and was hesitant in the beginning to even take it twice a day. I have a couple of questions:

1. Will his body acclimate to the drug so that he can begin to take larger amounts that will actually help deal with the pain? Most medicines don’t phase him; he can take two benadryl and not even feel it.

2. Does Neurontin help the nerves heal, or does it only work on nerve pain?

Thanks in advance for your input!

• March 31, 2010 at 9:30 am

Hi Caregiver, I notice you posted he is taking 600mg daily. You can take up to 3600mg a day and one of our members who is an MD said some can safely take more. The tramadol amount is small too. Not sure what that max is. Lyrica is another drug used for nerve pain.

About neurotnin healing the nerves, no it can not. There are other meds (experimental) under trial, but it must be done imeadiately, not years later. I think I remember one of the crugs being EPO, not sure. Your neuro would know.

I don’t know if your doc is starting out slow with the intention of ramping up to touch the pain, but if he was in pain and not doing anything dangerous like driving or operating machinery, I would just ask if he could get on with it, at least double with it. He is probably starting out slow to see how much is needed without starting at the max. But it seems it should be monitored every couple of days or so. Ask about the lyrica, many here take it, although some do not like it. Keep us posted.

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2010 at 10:07 am

simply pain.

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2010 at 10:10 am

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]its called EPO.
      here is an article:
      [url]http://www.ajnr.org/cgi/content/abstract/31/3/509[/url][/FONT]

• March 31, 2010 at 11:33 am

Thanks Alice! Glad you could suppy the link (my remedial computer abilities are not very helpful to others!) I remember reading that if it is done w/.in months it is very helpful. Is it possible to put the links but make it when a person clicks it it will go right to the site? I really have to get this computer deficit under control…soon!

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Dawn and Alice, thank you so much for your responses! I figured, with the high dosages of Neurontin many are taking, that he might need to have his increased in order to tell a difference.

I read the article on EPO and will ask the neurologist about it when I speak with him next, which will probably be very soon. Right now, sleep is a wild and crazy… and evasive thing, mostly because of the pain.