Interesting development?

• Anonymous
      March 12, 2011 at 10:00 pm

urlhttp://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/217978.phpurl
      Interesting about thyroid and parathyroid and gastro issues?

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2011 at 4:47 pm

The link does not work.

I got this:

Article / File Not Found

The file that you requested could not be found. This may be because it has been moved or removed.
      Please check our home page to see if the content you are looking for is available there. If you still cannot find the file that you are looking for please contact us.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2011 at 6:40 pm

[url]

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/217978.php

[/url]

gbs-cidp forum webmaster adds the url in brackets. copy and paste the above, minus the urls

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2011 at 6:58 pm

First, I found the descriptive terminology interesting. And that is “..a bioengineered form of human parathyroid hormone…”

Will a biochemist please come forward and explain, in simple terms, what that means? As in bio engineered corn- it means they messed with the original corn DNA, right?

Second, in terms of neurological symptoms related to the disease, the marker is said to be low blood calcium levels. This is routinely checked. Refer to the Ca portion of your Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (CMP), or Basic Metabolic Panel (BMP) and, I’ll wager, most of us have it at normal levels.

Still, I suppose, if I had the rare, and to date untreatable condition, I’d look at this closely.

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2011 at 10:19 pm

This person also suffers from AI and other neuropathies… there are times to count your blessings that it’s not worse…and others to be grateful that you can get around.

• Anonymous
      March 19, 2011 at 1:58 am

<>

I am not a biochemist, but let me take a stab at it. If Julie or WithHope are lurking around, they could correct my mistakes.

Based on an abstract I found, “bio-engineered” means that the scientists made the gene that makes the hormone and then stuffed it into [I]E. coli[/I] cells. A particular protein that the [I]E. coli[/I] made was then collected and purified. The protein was broken apart to yield the hormone, which was then purified even further.

So, they did not use corn, but yes, they messed with the DNA of a particular substrain of [I]E. coli.[/I]

~MarkEns

• Anonymous
      March 19, 2011 at 10:44 am

Thanks, markens.

Makes the study even more interesting, doesn’t it?