Insurance going up…dont know what I’ll do

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2009 at 7:59 am

We just got word that the county board approved a substantial increase for our out of pocket expenses beginning Jan 1. Deductible going from 300 to 2,000 and max out of pocket 5,000.

I cant afford to get ivig with those prices. I go to my neuro on the 8th.
      Maybe I’m in remission and I can go off.

What am I gonna do ????????????????????
      And why the heck do sick people ALWAYS GET PUNISHED.
      Stacey

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2009 at 9:13 am

[FONT=”Georgia”][SIZE=”2″][COLOR=”Sienna”]
      Talk to the naysayers in D.C.

If they’re so dead set against a national health care, then why aren’t they looking at Germany and Switzerland, neither of whom have national health care, but what they do have is government mandated coverage and at what price the insurers can charge for services.

Of course, that isn’t going to happen here, either. Way too much lobbying money.

Excuse me … I’m extremely cynical about politicians, no matter whether US or State … or even local.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2009 at 9:34 am

i concur with rocky36…
      i’m so sorry stacey… try not to panic and see if things will work themselves out, one day at a time.
      big hug,
      alice

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2009 at 11:21 am

The only thing I can think of is now maybe I’ll find out either if I am in remission or if I’m truly actively detiorating.

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2009 at 11:26 am

Hi Stacey,
      SO sorry to hear about the insurance increase. That’s a BIG increase.
      I wish the possible health plan/insurance coverage being discussed in Congress now, goes through. Perhaps, if it does, you may benefit from it, if there is a possible government-back insurance plan result, that is supposed to be lower cost. But, we will have to wait and see what happens. Fingers crossed that it does go through, you may have an option to switch to it???

Anyways, I do not know what insurance company or plan you are on.
      Each year, every April, my insurance company raises their rate. Oh, how I love my insurance company….NOT!!! But we are stuck with either accepting the new rate or bow out of having insurance, which I cannot do.
      But it is the monthly payment that keeps going up each year–they do not touch anything to do with deductibles or out of pocket expenses.

HOWEVER, two years ago, three years ago, there was a steep increase.
      We called a liason at the insurance company, and found out that, still under the same type of insurance coverage, there were different levels you can opt for. And the person we spoke to went over the different possibilities.
      I am only 53 years old. But my life partner is 63 years old. The liason told us there was a program, again, still under the same coverage, but under a level called “Silver Network” because one of us was over 60. It had just slightly different coverage-nothing drastic. And because one of us was over 60, it covered both of us. And the monthly costs were reduced quite a bit.

So, perhaps you could call your insurance company, and see if perhaps they offer the different levels that might help you. Possibly lowering your deductible? It doesn’t hurt to give it a try, and call them–ya never know you might stumble on something.

Good luck, Stacey,
      KEDASO
      (Ken)

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2009 at 11:39 am

Stacey,

That is not fair…I bet if some of these big wigs got as sick as us and needed the IVIG and other treatments we need then the prices wouldn’t go as high!

Can you contact other insurance companies before yours runs out? I don’t know if that is an option or not.

What about contacting the manufacturuer of the IVIG? I thought there was something in place to help financially? I could be wrong but it is worth a phone call.

take care,
      Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Hi stacey,
      I hear ya..my monthly payment is going up as well as deductibles etc…and we don’t get a cost of living raise this year.

I like you get worried about all of this. Being a single mom with two kids in college is hard enough without them taking stuff away from us and adding more cost.

I guess we just continue to pray and think positive.

• Anonymous
      October 2, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Stacey,

I totally sympathize with you. It absolutely stinks.

I am a conservative politically, but it doesn’t matter. Neither side gets it. Both sides are battling for a political victory and we the people will suffer. Continually. I am not going to rattle on with my story, but let it suffice to say that you are not alnoe in getting the screws put to them.

Corporate profits, cherry picking customers, and sticking it to the rest. No wonder they all make money, they make it impossible to pay the fees if you are not in super health.

Nobody is really talking about real reform. Controlling defensive testing, legal reforms, insurance reimbursement procedures, COST CONTROLS. Ah-h-h. I am mad again.

I feel your pain. Really.

Dick S