Insensitivity

• Anonymous
      October 28, 2006 at 2:50 pm

Just curious. One of the posts to another thread on this forum referred to “fat Monica Lewinsky.” Many of us are not as active as we once were and have been on meds with side effects affecting our weight. Since the person involved has not responded to my pm, I wanted to tell him in a public manner that words like fat, ugly, and others are not acceptable.

I’m fighting the side effects of prednisone and resemble a fire plug so I am super sensitive but needed to bring it out in the open.

Regards,
      Marge

• Anonymous
      October 28, 2006 at 4:46 pm

Good post, Marge. We tend not to think about how our words can hurt until we’re faced with the same problems. I can remember several years ago seeing a person stagger and thinking it was dreadful that he was drunk so early in the day. Now I walk the same way, and no doubt there are people who think the same of me.

When you have an physical problem in which people can only see the end result, such as weight from medication and inability to exercise, or clumsiness, or drunken gait, or halting speech because your mind won’t find the appropriate words, you learn to be a bit more tolerant of others.

Keep fighting.

Deb

• Anonymous
      October 28, 2006 at 5:00 pm

very well said marge & deb. i can’t even add to anything you both said because it’s straight and to the point.
      hugs to both of you,
      deb

• Anonymous
      October 28, 2006 at 11:03 pm

Marge My Dearest Sister,

All I have to say on this matter is that you are one beautiful,confident,
      intelligent woman.

You are right certain remarks do hurt and the person who said them should think about how hurtful those remarks can be to people. But many people do not think about how hurtful their remarks can be to others.

Love Ya Sis

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2006 at 4:47 am

Well, I didn’t make the remark but considering that I’m 350 pounds, it didn’t bother me.

I don’t think shes fat, but I do think she’s a pig.

Is that ok ?

😉

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2006 at 1:26 pm

Dear Marguerite:

I didn’t read my e-mail in the last couple of days because I was too busy with family obligations. I didn’t notice you PM’d until this morning. Thanks for not going off prematurely. If I did see you PM me, I wouldn’t have read it anyway. I don’t respond to your posts any more because, by and large, your posts are abusive. Nobody has to take my word for this. Many of us have saved your posts from the past and they can judge for themselves. You posting this thread is what exactly? An attempt to publicly embarass me? My, now isn’t that sensitive. I made a comment that some people found offensive inadvertantly and without malice. Can you say the same thing about this thread you started? I didn’t think so.

Now about my comment, I am big enough to understand that I offended some people, and for that I apologize. This isn’t one of those weasly politician’s apology, you know the kind “If someone took offense with my statement…….”. I acknowledge that some people were offended. The comment, unlike this thread, was not aimed at any specific individual. It was merely to point out President Clinton’s appalling lack of judgement. Maybe I embarassed you by pointing out several facts that you had incorrectly stated on that same post. For that I also apologize. However, if every time someone disagrees with you about a political opinion you hold, you do everything you can to villify that person, than perhaps you should refrain from posting on the political thread.

Now, as for this whole ‘thought police’ attitude that seems to have invaded this site, I really don’t want to buy into that. I have always believed that adults have an obligation to neither give offense nor take offense. I was taught that giving and taking offense were equal wrongs. In this day of Poitical Correctness, it is now possible for anyone to be offended by almost anything. I must admit that I was a bit cheesed by your thread at first, but upon further reflection, who cares? Those people who know me well, will know what my character is like. I can take pride in that.

Lee

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2006 at 6:19 pm

Lee,

You made a statement you deemed appropriate and I properly responded. This is not a contest with he said, she said…nor should it be. I am a 65-year-old mother, Lee; my life speaks for itself.

Contine to post in any way you feel comfortable, Lee, and I will respond in the same manner but personal comments made in this forum are simply inappropriate.

Marguerite

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2006 at 8:33 am

Actually, my concern isn’t for political correctness (much of which I find farcical), but for thinking before speaking (or in this case, typing). The old adage ‘sticks and stones will hurt my bones, but words will never harm me’, although helpful in trying to teach children to deal with unkindness, isn’t exactly true. Too often words can be very hurtful without the speaker meaning to be.

My motto: a closed mouth gathers no feet. It works with keyboards, too.

Deb