Info needed …

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2006 at 8:53 pm

Hey Everyone …

I’m new to the forum and have been fascinated reading all of the postings on the board. I’m four years post GBS in February. I was hospitalized for over a month and had 14 plasmapheresis treatments while hospitalized. I was completely paralyzed but my respiratory system remained intact, thankfully. I ran the course of wheelchair, walker, cane, PT. The nightmare of that episode in my life has resurfaced as I have recently noticed some constant numbness in my feet and pains in my legs. I feel very fortunate that I haven’t been burdened with these sensations for the past four years but am a bit worried of relapse as I know it’s always possible, albeit remote. I went to the doctor and had blood testing done and am waiting the results of that to rule out any other possible explanations

Has anyone else experienced this type of feeling or condition that can kind of help me out and ease my mind? I wonder if stress is a possible contributing factor to this as I’ve been dealing the past four months with my mother’s diagnosis of lung cancer and ultimate death. I am now having to try to finalize all of the estate, readying household goods for auction, making numerous trips back to my home town, etc. I realize that I’ve redefined “normal” for four years now but have really gotten along famously. I’m fearful … and would love some fellow GBS survivor feedback.

Thanks!

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2006 at 9:54 pm

hi profer & welcome,

your self Dx is most likely the cause of your new symptoms. you are over doing it. you must rest much more & relax while lying down clearing your mind of all stress. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2006 at 9:57 pm

Welcome Profer,

Welcome to the site, we are glad you found us. I am so sorry to hear about your mother, I know how hard that must be for you.

Over the past 3 years that I have had CIDP, I have had several episodes where I thought I was having a relapse. Each time was either due to illness or stress. I of course freaked out, not wanting to end up back in ICU or whatever, so I called my Neuro. He told me that both stress and illness can bring back symptoms of a relapse but didn’t necessarily mean I was relapsing. He told me that it was my call and if needed he could see me or I could go to the ER. Anyway it ended up being nothing and maybe yours is as well. I would contact your Neuro and ask his opinion, and if there is any worsening of symptoms in the interim you can always go to the ER.

I hope that helps, and again I am so sorry to hear about your mom, she and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2006 at 10:00 pm

I’m new to this, but I know that stress can be a real kicker. Sorry about your mom. from what I have seen here, stress is a big NONO, try to destress as much as you can. good luck.
      net

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2006 at 12:25 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and welcome to the site. I can’t believe that I’ve been in denial of having had GBS for so long and just really stayed away from websites such as this and having to be reacquainted with all the horrors of that time in my life. Now it seems so beneficial to hear encouragement and long-term updates as time has passed 🙂 Found out today my blood tests came back VERY deficient in Vitamin B12 and I’ll start getting weekly injections today. My doc feels that it will improve the numbness and pain very quickly. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for the prayers concerning Mom’s passing as well … She was quite a lady!

Profer

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2006 at 7:07 pm

Profer,

So sorry to hear about your mother’s illness and death. That is a MAJOR stress factor alone. No wonder you are having syptoms. I agree with the previous posts – calm down, de-stess. Do whatever it takes to do this.

Is there anything you can postpone or get some help with?

Best wishes.