infected cyst ,please give me some feedback

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2011 at 1:54 am

well since i was dignosed in2005 with cidp, from what i belive was getting a tooth pulled,6 yrs later doing well from what i had gone though pretty much lost use off legs , wheelchair ,6 weeks in rehad learning everything from walking to getting the strenth back in my arms to take care of myself again,doing good and on a stedy dose of IVIG every 8 weeks.

so here is the problem about 3 or 4 years ago i developed a cyst on my upper left sholder and it has reacently become bigger and is very tender and red around it, it has gotten to the point where i got a referal from my dr to go to a general surgen to see about having it removed, but i am terrifed about even having thoughts of some ,even though small surgery, considering it might blow up on me and then be back where i was 5 yrs ago, the cyst started out about a dime sizeand is now about the size of a quarter, i know i need it removed but like isaid im really scared

thanks for any insight you all might have

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2011 at 9:39 am

My choice would be to get it taken care of immediately.

I would quote a MedlinePlus Medical article, unfortunately, it is one of those cases with copyright protection. “…Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. …”

See the info for yourself- Edited- Nope, you cannot see for yourself:

“[I]…Do not link directly to any of the pages listed above in any way other than through the Share button or e-mail for individual use…[/I]”

The page in question does have a ‘share’ button. Beats me what that does.

It is safe to say any cyst could be filled with unknown quantities of yucky or worse, parasitic or infectious stuff. Stuff that, for me, I want removed.

Do your own search on ‘cyst.’ Decide for yourself. Only you can decide if any doctor’s advice is in your own best interest.

You have to be your own best advocate. Let’s make an analogy, if you had a car wreck, would you quit driving? Don’t laugh, I know a lady who did quit driving after an accident. Another analogy, if you went to court (not small claims court), would you be your own attorney?

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Diane the surgeon should be able to remove the cyst with local anaesthetic–a very simple quick little in office proceedure. The cyst are usually encapsulated so he has to get the whole capsule so it doesn’t keep coming back. It would involve 15 minutes at most. Good luck.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2011 at 11:30 pm

HI Diane ,

Everyone has given great advise …another thing you may consider….the longer you leave it without treatment you may be dealing with bigger issues later . I would think it would only be a local but if you let it go on without treatment as your PCP has suggested it may end up being a more invasive surgery .
      Best of luck to you !
      Kimberly

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2011 at 11:27 pm

a second or even a third opinion about the surgery. Sure is cheaper and quicker than sweating out all the ‘what ifs’. And, you might find a surgeon that you are happiest about working with.
      Be sure however to let your neurologist know who is doing the procedure and that the surgeon knows what is what with you before going into the whole deal. That way, you have your docs working in concert for you as well as with you.
      I’ve had three major and several minor surgeries since getting CIDP. And all my docs have worked together delightfully. The docs doing the surgery BTW? also get to learn a bit from a peer about CIDP and it’s quirks for us the surgery patients. It usually works out very well, with fewer complications than you expect.
      Get it done! Please?