important question

• September 14, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I am not sure if I have inquired about this before, but I would like to have the info in my knowledge base just in case.

When prescribed a medication and the contraindications mention not taking it if you have myasthenia gravis, should one be also concerned about taking it if ya have had GBS and are left with a lot of residuals? I have noticed on one other med I tried that i experienced weakness and pain, and after reading up on it I saw that it was advised not to take it or let your doctor know if you had myasthenia gravis.Figured it was me being strange or looking too deeply into things. But, I was just prescribed Ambien to help me sleep…have asked so many times for something to help with this but was told the xanax I take is good enough (even though I was told it is not a sleep aid and was put down on several occasions for even taking it). The cautions mention MG and yep, weakness. I took one early so if any weirdness happened someone in the house would be aware of it and check on me. Hit me like a rock, definitely got sleep, felt as if everything was really heavy and more or less just stayed in one position until I woke up. I swear trying new meds is like playing Russian Roulette, I don’t know what will happen and am sometimes so afraid of ‘not waking up’ or the ‘side effects’ that I get so worked up I can’t sleep at all and my anxiety levels feel through the roof. Ugh. Anyhow, is there any correlation or should i ignore the MG warning?

thanks!

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Sounds like you got some sleep but having the fear of not waking up would be very scary. Is it possible to take a half dose? Cut the pill in half or ask for a lower dose? I hope you find a solution because getting enough rest with GBS or CIDP is very important.

Take care,
      Rhonda