immune system boosting?

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 11:19 pm

Since the immune system is what destroyed the myelin sheath, should people with GBS try to avoid immune system boosting nutrients such as echinacea?

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 11:33 pm

in my opinion, yes, because it was the immune response that caused the gbs. the immune system goes haywire and is overloading the body which in turn causes the response of the cells to attack the myelin sheath. increasing the immune response could cause more cells to attack the nerves, its like sending in the enemy to replace the guards, something you wouldn’t want to do. 🙁

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2006 at 9:13 am

Dear Friends:

Absolutely avoid anything that boosts your immune system. Your immune system is supposed to be a finely balanced system that goes after the bad stuff and ignores the rest. GBS is nothing but a huge boost to the immune system. Why boost it anymore? An overpowered immune system can cause GBS, CIDP, Crohn’s disease, Lupus, Kawasaki’s disease, allergies, psoriasis, ecxema, and a whole bunch of other stuff I can’t even pronounce or spell. Immune boosters are the very last thing you would ever want.

Lee

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2006 at 2:06 pm

This is how I was diagnosed… albeit unintentionally. My naturopath and acupuncturist were working to “boost” my immune system, in hopes of making me better– and the progression accelerated so much that my neurologist could finally “prove” what was happening to me.

“Boost” [I]sounds [/I]so good– but no no no no no…

People frequently suggest all manner of immune-boosting things, it really helps to explain that we’re suffering from an OVER-active immune system (although in my experience, they need many reminders– be prepared to be persistent!)

• Anonymous
      June 1, 2006 at 6:07 am

Thank you all for your advice and experience. I wish neurologists would make this infomration known up front. It is a natural response to want to boost your immune system when sick and this is not what we can do.

• Anonymous
      June 1, 2006 at 8:48 am

Finally! Answers that make sense. Everyone has been trying to get me on their “Stuff” to boost my immune system. This is all so scary. I am not sure what to take or where to go for answers. I am so glad you asked the question Laura and for all the good answers.
      Bonnie

• Anonymous
      June 1, 2006 at 9:18 am

Dear Bonkin:

I know these people are trying to be helpful, but dispensing medical advice while being wholly ignorant of GBS is just a bit wreckless. My mother is a boost your immune system nut, and every time she suggests some odd scheme to boost my immune system, I offer that if she contracted GBS, then that would really boost her immune system. So for she has always balked at my offers, for some strange reason.

Lee