I wanted to understand Plasmapherisis but found this re: neuro testing

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2010 at 5:16 pm

A post by Markens about Plasmapheresis experiences has 42 reads, yet no replies. I wanted to understand more about Plasmapheresis but I found this on the way to learning more: “Neurological Diagnostic Tests and Procedures” at-

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm

So much to learn……

p.s. when I questioned Mayo Clinic about Plasmapheresis, the reply went along these lines “…IVIG is the way to go…” for me, of course.

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Which mayo clinic did you go to?

I have been taken IVIG for 14 years ,prednisone since 1998 and cellcept since 2000. at the same time, but in 2004 I had a relapse and none of those in high doses seem to worked. So we tried Plasmapheresis. 7 cycles ,one every other day. It takes 2 weeks in the hospital. Since then I take the other meds to keep me stable until i get my next relapse.

The worse of it, by my experience is the placement of the vascath, I dont have veins anymore…lol . The treatment itself last runs in about a little over an hour,every other day. you feel tired and a metal taste. Sometimes some itchiness, but they pre med with benadryl and atavan. And I do just fine.

Maybe right now the best treatment for you is IVIG and if you feel is working keep taking it.but keep looking ,like gary said in another post,dont let your doctor lock you in just one treatment.

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Rossana

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2010 at 10:39 am

Yes, we’ve said repeatedly every case is different.

I went to Mayo Clinic Rochester, Mn.

I’m not questioning the value of PE, only pointing out a resource I found during my search for info.

I hope everything is going well with your treatment.