I think I am relapsing…

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Hello everyone. I am brand new to this site. I had GBS about 4 years ago and after reading some of the postings here I guess my experience was pretty mild. By the end I was unable to walk without falling or just going the completely wrong direction uncontrollably. I was only in the hospital for a couple of days and was released. I have had weakness as well as soreness in my muscles ever since.

About a month ago I woke up in the morning just fine. An hour or so after waking my lower back started to hurt and it was horrible. My legs and arms were trembling uncontrollably and then my vision went blurry. My tongue lips and all other extremeties all went numb and tingly. I felt as though I were going to pass out. I went to the ER and as expected they had no clue what was wrong with me gave me IV fluids, morphine and checked my vitals. After 12 hours my symptoms had not changed but they sent me home. Since then I have been in so much pain. My arms are so weak I can barely hold them up long enough to put mascara on my eyes, and forget doing my hair. My legs might as well be jello.

I haven’t seen a nuerologist since I had the initial GBS diagnosis. I never went to physical therapy as they has suggested. I guess my question is, Should I now go back to the nuerologist?

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2009 at 1:19 pm

You do need a second opinion. It sounds like you need further tests to reallly make a concrete diagnosis. A neurologist would be the best person to evaluate you. Sometimes the wait to see a neurologist can be quite long so I would make sure they know a little more about your situation so you can get an appointment quickly. Early detection and intervention are very important.

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Hi Christie…call the Dr. make an appt dont wait, nip this thing in the bud,dont wait its your health and you only get ! of them so please dont wait call and see the Dr asap good luck Brenda

• January 27, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Christie,
      You need to call the doctor that treated your GBS before. Make sure the office staff knows you are a patient, and that you have all of the symptoms of a relapse, and you need to see the doctor today on an emergency basis. The sooner the better. Don’t let them put you off. Good luck.
      Fred

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Christie,
      CALL A NEUROLOGIST RIGHT NOW!!! What you are describing may or may not be GBS but you need to see someone today! GBS can affect your breathing quickly. I am not trying to frighten you but you need to see someone now and not an emergency room doctor. Good luck sweetie.

• January 27, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Hi Christie!
      If you can get into the neuro TODAY take the appointment. If not, go back to the er, bring old records if ou have them or if it is the same hospital, tell them to look them up. Some people do get gbs again, that could be the case. Or it could be cidp. In any event ivig would be in order for either while they are testing to determine which it is. DEMAND a spinal to check for elevated protein, or a nerve conduction velocity/emg test. If it is gbs or cidp, waiting only allows more and sometimes permanent damage to happen. You need to get some tests and ivig if appropriate. Good luck to you, Kevie and I will say a prayer for you to be strong and get answers.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2009 at 5:12 pm

I agree with the other posts – get in to the neurologist or go to the er asap and tell them you believe you are having a relapse of GBS and have them do the spinal check for elevated protein. If that is what is happening, you need to have treatment asap to have the best possible outcome. Better to rule it out than to let it continue to get worse. Best wishes and prayers!

• January 27, 2009 at 5:18 pm

An afterthought, have you been r/o for ms?

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2009 at 5:24 pm

just wanted to say i agree with everything everyones posted! go in as soon as possible! hope everything goes well and it passes. plz post us bak when u know whats happining i will be sending u warm wishes!

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2009 at 6:10 pm

They did the CT scan for MS four years ago. Initially that is what they thought I had. It took going through 6 nuerologists till the head of nuerology for the University of Arizona took my case and diagnosed me with GBS. Although my spinal tests did NOT show elevated proteins, he diagnosed me with GBS. I relapsed 3 times within 6 months of my first episode. I have experienced numbness and tingling and pain for the past 4 years but nothing major till a month ago.

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2009 at 6:29 pm

I had a relapse after the flu. You need to get checked out as soon as possible my relapse left me with perm. damage in my legs the sooner they treat you the better. Make them listen to you. When i first went in they said i was psychotic and it was all in my head and sent me home i then went to another hospital and they did the proper tests and determined a relapse.
      good luck.

• January 27, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Has cidp been considered? The fact that you are feeling tingling could be a relapse. The relapses seem timeley and closely spaced which sounds like cidp.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Can you go back to the head of neuro at u of a? If you have not recovered to near normal since your first event, then it sounds more like cidp-chronic version of gbs. I have had the same relapses myself and its now cidp. You really need to have a dr knowledgable in gbs/cidp look at you, do ncv/emg and all the other bloodwork up tests. Your pain needs to be addressed also, pain means there is something going on that is not right. I did not have elevated proteins in a number of my lps, there are about 5% of cases that have normal levels but still have gbs/cidp-it happens more often in cidp cases though. Please get plenty of rest, get either neurontin or lyrica for the pain and keep us updated on how you’re doing. Take care.

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Hi Christie! I think I would go for a second opinion seeing another doctor. It is possible you may have had a mild case of GBS. But there are other neurmuscular disorders besides GBS that can cause those symptoms. And for it to mimic MS you may have CIDP of an unknown cause or could be an underlying condition that is effecting the nervous system. But you really do need to see the Neuro. Could be something going on with the Central Nervous System too! And that can be very dangerous and just as bad as GBS. Hope you are feeling better though. This stuff can be rather aggrivating and make ya feel aweful! Welcome to the site!
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Christie,
      I hope you have gotten an appointment by now. Please let us know how you are doing. As others have said, you may have something other than GBS. Only you know how you are feeling, so don’t become intimidated by doctors. If one doctor doesn’t give you a diagnosis, keep going until you find one who will. Good Luck!

Susanne

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I have been waiting for 2 days for a call back from my primary…

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2009 at 5:17 pm

I would plant my self in the waiting room of your primary or the neurologist from the University. With my experience, you must take control of your illness, symptoms etc. and tell the doctors what do do. Do Not let them put you off. I am tired of Drs telling me it is GBS, call me if you need me. What ever happened to the old fashioned doctor who called to tell you your tests results, made follow up appointments. I thought I was having a relapse two weeks ago post flu. When I called my neurologist, he said ( I mean his nurse assistent) to go to the emergency room. What did he think they would do differently, tell me I had GBS? I was out of town and did not want to go to an unfamilier hospital. Her response to me was ” your call”.. How about get back her immediatley and we will work you in so doctor can see you. Luckily, I decided to wait it out, and strength return. Again, take control of your medical care and insist.

• January 28, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Christie,
      I agree with Carol. Don’t wait for a call back. Call them as often as necessary to get in, or go sit in the waiting room. If your doctor uses e-mail, I have found the response much quicker, plus there is a paper trail. Stay after them.
      Fred

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Christie,

If your doctor doesn’t call you back, get another doctor. About 5 years ago I began to have symptoms of a relapse and went to my primary doctor. She got on the phone and made me an appointment with a neurologist for the following morning. GBS is serious and should not be taken lightly. Most primary doctors are not knowledgeable about GBS. It is a rare disease and many doctors have never had a patient with it. You must be your own advocate. Keep us informed and know that we are here for you.

Susanne