I need help understanding EMG/NCS results.

• Anonymous
      June 29, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Hello everyone.

Can anyone help me understand something here….I have my old records and also called today to get my latest records. I have looked up what alot of the terminology means but some of this gets to be a bit much.

From the nerve conduction study:
      When testing the left peroneal, left tibial, right peroneal and right tibial …stimulating the knee-ankle, there is NO Response Recorded in the distal latency column.

Does this mean nothing working ?

Sensory I have No response recorded at the Left sural nerve stimulating the posterior aspect lower leg. Also left median and ulnar at the index and little finger show no response on the sensory.

And what does “left tibialis anterior demonstrated less evident fibrillations and more severe motor unit enlargement” mean ? What does larger or severely large motor units mean ? that I have a fat leg ? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
      Ok, I had to joke here…

also what are
      severe neurogenic motor unit changes ?

as always, thank you for any help.

happy 4th everyone.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      June 29, 2007 at 3:46 pm

I am sorry Stacey I can’t help you much but maybe you can find out stuff from this article more or less based on Diabetic Neuropathy but maybe you can understand it. I am tired right now can’t think straight

[url]http://www.aapmr.org/education/archive/9699/emg9610c.htm[/url]

Sue

Also check here maybe you can get some answers I am going to check out the page also.
      [url]http://www.teleemg.com/old_web/emgfaq.htm[/url]

• June 29, 2007 at 6:31 pm

Hi Stacey!

I am so sorry to read your frustrations! I read all the way back to your first posts. You are right, basically nothing working as you said regarding “No Response” I read a post you made in Feb. indicating some improvement, wiggling your toes then. It seems that was when you were are the 5 day loading dose regimen. Perhaps this once a month Booster as you call it is too far apart. Maybe the doctor could start over and do a couple of loading doses again and then try a once a week maintanence schedule and then after a while of good reception and giving your nerves a chance to repair , he could try to spread the maintanence to two weeks.

As you know, if you are getting worse, you are active in a demylienation, more damage is happenning. Call the doc, it will just take that much longer to repair. (mm a day) I do not know if Kevie has gbs or cidp yet, but if it is cidp, the ivig schedule he has been on is what worked for him. We are going to stop treatment and observe (he had his last one last Thurs. 95 g over three days) We are going to do the same thing as you, use the emg/ncv as a tool to guage improvement and decline if there should be additional symptoms. Kevin also had conduction blocks in some of the nerves but not all of them, it will be interesting to see if with all of the ivig, clinical gaines and return of all stregnth and reflexes if the ncv results have changed since the two previous.

I feel awful that you have to go through this! I hope that maybe it could be as simple as more ivig closer together. I hope you have support and help at home. If I were your neighbor I would come and clean the house for you so you could have energy left over to play with your son! Good luck! Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      June 29, 2007 at 11:54 pm

Dawn,

that is so sweet of you to say you’d come help me so that I could play with my son ! ๐Ÿ™‚ I push myself reallly hard to never let him down.
      It’s amazing how are kids can be our strength.

I will read those links Sue…tomorrow, hopefully. It’s the weekend. 10:30p and I’m just getting home after leaving here at 5:45 am this morning. Worked all day then worked at the mother in laws house…emptying it to a dumpster in the drive way.
      So tired !!!!

I’ll reply more soon….still hoping for some answers to what that junk means.

• Anonymous
      July 1, 2007 at 9:38 pm

just wondering if anyone else had any answers ?

• Anonymous
      July 2, 2007 at 11:50 am

Stacy, WOW! You have alot going on! Are you invested in Calgon?!:D In my opinion, you really need to have your dr go over the results with you. There is a site that can give you information on reading emg/ncv results-goodsearch it, I found it under absent f waves I think. It might give you some information, maybe enough to give you an idea of what questions to ask your dr. You are in My Thoughts, and I’m Praying for good results to come your way. Big Hugs!
      Maybe Dawn can watch your babes, so you can let Calgon take you away for a little r and r.:)

• Anonymous
      July 2, 2007 at 6:25 pm

Hi Stacey,

You certainly have a plate full in front of you and I do wish you the best. Like you, I had a dickens of a time figuring out the results of all the conduction and velocity tests. As you probably know already, I’m big on getting records. Bubbleboy says it best, “the doctor works for you”. That said, I ended up google-ing my test results because my neuro didn’t explain the results to my satisfaction either. I do know a reference to a fat nerve is the start of demyeliniation (sp?) and they (enlarged nerves) will also show up on a low back MRI. I have total paralysis (zero movement) from my knees down on both legs. My brain hasn’t a clue as to where my legs and feet are but with a cane and a lot of looking down, I manage to get around. All of the conduction tests confirmed the lack of feeling and movement with a lot of words that meant, “it ain’t workin”. Having spent most of my life as an electrician I figure wiring errors are fixable. Maybe I got zapped one too many times? I haven’t given up on this theory but the IVig hasn’t done a damn thing…yet? Keep the faith, it could be worse. A little person in a crowded elevator has it worse than we do…Dughy

• Anonymous
      July 2, 2007 at 7:50 pm

Hi Stacey

No answers for you, but a question! How can we have complete conduction blocks and still wiggle our fingers??

Helen ๐Ÿ™‚

• July 2, 2007 at 9:33 pm

Hi Meadow,
      I was wondering about the same thing. Kevin has conduction blocks in his hand and feet, but still functions relatively normal. I wonder if it is because other nerves that have not been affected pick up the responsibilities. Thus accounting for fatigue when over used. Maybe Doc David will read this and answer.
      Dawn Kevies mom ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• Anonymous
      July 5, 2007 at 8:29 pm

I got the results of my most recent EMG today. Comparing to the other two, from Sept and Nov…they are about the same. The summary said a little worse. What I dont understand is with all of these “no response recorded” areas of my legs and feet and hands…is how I can walk !
      He told me after my first EMG that he is surprised at how well I walk. I fake it pretty well. But, now I know why he said that.
      I lift my leg so that my foot doesnt drop ME. I have the slight drop foot and have a harder time walking much distance without help.

I’m going to review my results and will ask more questions later. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

thanks everyone for your continued help and support.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      July 5, 2007 at 8:30 pm

I also wanted to say to Dughy….Ivig didnt work for me either. Not the great results that many get…my dr told me that it may have kept my symptoms in “check”. I never felt any better afterwards.
      Sorry to hear it doesnt work for you either.

• Anonymous
      July 6, 2007 at 9:03 pm

ConnerZmom,

Pretty much word for word the way I hear it, “It doesn’t seem any worse”. Any worse? Try walking on these bundles of exposed nerves that I do! By my own admission, I tell them the Lyrica works for me and all of a sudden we have a course of treatment. If the IVig treatments are designed to give the patient migraine headaches and nausea, well, I guess they’re working? Hopefully they work for everyone else, just not for us. I wish you the best…Dughy