I’m new!

• Anonymous
      May 4, 2007 at 11:44 pm

I read some posts on this forum about a year ago, but then lost the website. Somehow I found it again last night!

I am about 18 months out from GBS. Mine began in Nov 05 after a flu shot and (in hindsight) about the same time as my 2nd knee replacement surgery. The first knee replacement was 2 months earlier. The day I came home from rehab for my new knee, the weakness became so pronounced I had to go back to the hospital. I was transferred to a regional medical center, received IVIG, spent 6 days in ICU for wildly fluctuating blood pressures–but no ventilator–and then spent 3-4 more weeks in another rehab learning how to walk, etc. again. I came home just before Christmas 2005–the best present! I was in a wheelchair but progressed to a walker over the next month and was able to drive again in about 6 more weeks. I went back to work part-time after about 5 months (I’m an RN with a desk job who had only “heard” of Guillian Barre before having it myself.) I was back to work full-time about 7 months after “it all” began although I’ve opted to get out of management due to the stress involved. I married off 2 children and became a grandmother for the first time during that 6 months too–thanks to a wonderful, supportive family–and the fact that those things were all planned before my GBS. I continue to improve. The fatigue continues to get better–meaning I have less of it, but the foot pain/numbness seems to be increasing–or maybe it’s just when I get too tired. It was great reading some of your comments about those things last night.

I’m so glad to have found this site again. Reading your experiences makes me realize everything I’ve gone through has been done before. Very comforting to know I’m not alone. Thanks to you all.

• Anonymous
      May 5, 2007 at 12:35 am

Cdub, Welcome to The Family. Feel free to ask any questions you might have, or just vent when you need to. Please get plenty of rest, don’t overdo things. It sounds like you have a great Family for support, and your having a great recovery. Keep up the good work. Take care.:)

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2007 at 11:17 am

Welcome, and stick with us this time. Tihs is a great place for us GBS’ers and those with CIDP to share experiences and learn from one another and make us realize we are not alone in all of this!

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2007 at 12:19 am

Thanks for the welcome. I intend to “stick” this time.

Any more helps with muscle cramps? I started eating a banana a day and drinking more water/fluids and making sure I got 3 servings of milk every day and that was helping. About a week ago, they came back and brought all their friends!!! Any more ideas? I even tried “Rain” gatorade as suggested but the charley horses continue–mostly at night.

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2007 at 7:22 am

Hi cdub, it sounds like you’ve done really well. I too have residual damage in my feet and suffer from fatigue but after reading so many other peoples stories on here, I feel I have nothing to complain about really. As the saying goes there is always somebody worse off than yourself.

Try this site, it’s quite helpful in regards to your cramps.
      [url]http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_cramp.htm[/url]

Take care
      Niki 🙂

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2007 at 7:44 am

Hello just wanted to welcome you to our family. Visit often this is a really terrrific place for answering questions and learning more.

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2007 at 2:21 pm

Niki,

Thanks for the website of helps for muscle cramps. I read it with interest and even tried the pickle juice (which I have always liked, anyway.) I also realized I had slowed down on my banana consumption, so and between bananas and pickle juice, the cramps have diminished! Yeah!

Cdub

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2007 at 12:42 am

I just recently started using High potency b12 supplements-per my pcp. it has lessened my muscle cramps. my b levels were low, thats when i was told to increase with high b, along with the water and bananas, the muscles seem to be contented until i over do it. its like the trial and error technique i guess, sometimes it works and sometimes it needs tweeked once in awhile. take care.

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2007 at 5:59 am

That’s awesome to hear, it’s always good when you can sort out any probs using natural remedies 🙂