I am considered recovered??

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Hello everyone,

It has been quite sometime since I have been on the forum so many of you are new to me. I am in the process of filling out forms for my husband’s insurance through his employer for new insurance coverage. One of the questions on the form asks for conditions diagnosed or treated for in the last 5 years. My onset was 01/2004 and treatment into 2/2004 with continuing medication since then. I am now on disability ( finally ) but not yet eligible for Medicare. Am I considered recovered from my GBS even though I have residual weakness, balance and strength issues, along with pain?
      Bonnie:cool:

• February 9, 2009 at 6:50 pm

sorry no info

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Hi Bonnie: I have been denied insurance because of GBS even though I no longer have it. It is an acute disease so it comes and goes, though we know the residuals may stay. But for some insurance companies, anyway, having had GBS makes you a very bad risk. So, as Dawn says, it is a tough call. You can truthfully say you no longer have GBS but I think you would need to report having had it. Good luck. Jeff

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Bonnie, Nice to see you again! 🙂
      Technically you had gbs-past tense. GBS is a hit and gone type illness, although you have residuals that are still with you, its not considered gbs still. When do you have to have the paperwork turned in? If its after your 5 yr anniversary then you don’t have to report it, because its not technically still a demylinating illness. The residuals are only a leftover effect from the demylinating process of the gbs itself. Does that make sense? The damage that is leftover from the gbs onset is not considered to be gbs. If you happen to have a relapse and your dx changes to cidp then it is considered a new onset illness. If it were me in your position, I wouldn’t write it down, but that is just the way I am-a technical personality. You might want to read up on the pre existing conditions act before writing anything down. Take care.

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2009 at 7:21 am

If it is group health insurance they have to insure the whole group. They cannot cherry pick, or take the cream of the crop, if you will, under a group plan, and then the cost is spread over the whole group. They all have to pay equally, unless you have family members whom you want covered, and then, of course, YOU would have to pay extra for that family member(s) coverage. Thats the way it worked for any of the companys I worked for. I will say again, if they accept the group, then all will be covered, including any pre-existing conditions in any of the group, or their family members.
      Good luck Bonnie

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2009 at 9:55 am

Thanks to all who responded. I think that it does have to do with GBS also. I wake most mornings with my hands totally numb. I am not having surgery but was curious as to how many of you had also been diagnosed with carpal tunnel.

Take Care,
      Susanne

• Anonymous
      February 13, 2009 at 6:23 am

Good luck I have none now thanks to gov mich danials privatizing it in ind.But you dont recover fully so answer is no.But with pre condition it will be hard to get insurance.Trust me I know been with out over yr now an cant afford even if got some one to insure me.But on good side go to disability court feb 24th. After waiting since aug of 05. SEE GOD IS GREAT AMEN.:D

• February 13, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I was denied ins and they told me they wouldnt touch me until I had reached the 3 year mark. Although they did offer me some catastrophic coverage at about $900 a month…cheaper just to pay for a dr appt and whatever myself at that rate! Hopefully your ins will cover you since it has been so long.