Hyperbaric medicine/ Ivig and alcohol

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2007 at 9:32 am

Sorry for not posting for a long time. I was taking counseling because of depression, stress, anxienty…. the psycologist recommended i no longer entered this website, she said it was only scaring me…. well that is why i stopped coming here, but i have been depressed any more (just a few days but i can handle it).

I wanted to share with you my experience with hyperbaric medicine. Feeling desperate i decided to go throug this treatmet. Before the treatment i had an EMG, the resluts showed damage. So i took the treatment. While in the chamber i could literally feel my nerves waking up and healing. I still had pain and lots of odd sensations but much lower. A week ago, i had an EMG done again and it showed a 90% improvement. I am sure this is due to hyperbaric medicine. I know you had already discussed this treatment and discarted it, but i recommend you give it a second chance and consider it. For me it incredibly healing!!! If you would like to ask me anything about it i am here!!.

I am still taking IVIG to complete the treatment i had a three day infussion from thursday to saturday. On sunday i had a get together with some friends. There was alcohol and I got really drunk 😮 . I didn’t think about it then but now i am worried the ivig tretment i received was affected or its effect eliminated by my getting drunk (feeling a bit ashamed about this but i had to say it). So what do you know about this??? Is my extremely expensive IVIG treatment going to be worthless because of this?????

Thank you!!

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2007 at 9:56 am

Monica,

What wonderful news about the hyperbaric chamber! I am so happy for you :D. To be honest, if given the chance I would do the hyperbaric in a second.
      With regards to the alcohol, i havent done any research, but I really doubt you have too much to worry about. Someone will correct me if Im wrong, but I dont think alcohol can kill all the ‘good’ IVIg that went into your blood. I know how easy it is to panic, but try really hard not to because you dont want to stress out too much. Dont be too hard on yourself, you needed to blow off steam.

Are you going to do another ‘stay’ in the hyperbaric? Let us know, Im so excited for you.

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2007 at 11:17 am

I am curious as to your experience with the hyperbaric treatment. I hope you will answer a couple questions. How long does a treatment last? Do you do it just once or several days in a row? What sort of physical improvements did you notice and how quickly after the treatment? How long are they supposed to last?
      Sorry I’m full of ???? today! 🙂

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2007 at 12:08 pm

A friend of mine sells these, and other medical equipment, and he has been trying to talk me into trying a hyperbaric chamber for a long time. None of my doctors have been supportive though and they are quite expensive, as you must have noticed. I’m relatively paranoid about trying new things so I’m glad to see someone tested it out. I’d like to hear if you do a second round and I’m curious as to how long between the hyperbaric treatment and your second EMG. Congratulations on your success!

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2007 at 12:39 pm

Please guys answer my question about alcohol and ivig i am really worried!!!

Regarding to the hyperbaric treatment. I took 30 sessions, an hour and 20 minutes each. I was going from monday to saturday, so that was a 5 week treatment. You get in a chamber and you put on a mask and breathe 100% oxygen, the pressure in the chamber is more than the regular, as if you were in the sea. Oxygen promotes cell regeneration, so it works for all tissues. I started noticing a difference the first week. After takin prednisone my face was full of acne, terribly scared. I noticed a big difference and people told me, “your face looks better” (many didnt know i was in this treatment). Regarding to my nerves, while i was in the chamber i felt them regrowing, well the sensation of like vibrations along my nerves was increased. As i told you while in the treatme i still had pain but lower pain, and the sensations have also been reduced (greatly), some days my legs feel back to normal. The most important proof was the EMG, that showed great regeneration. This improvement is not transitory, it is permanent as long as another autoimmune attack doesnt take place. If i don’t have more attacks the regeneration will be permanent. In my case it was thirty sessions, but i may take more to have even more improvement. According to your condition, the doctor determines the number of sessions you need. There was a girl that has multiple sclerosis, she was taking her 50th session. She told me after this treatment she could walk for an hour or an hour and a half, she said before, she was only able to walk from her bed to the bathroom and back. She was on a wheelchair before and now she is using something different, i don`t know the name in english but it is something she holds and walks. The treatment is no that expensive in mexico as i have seen it is in the states, there are some clinics that offer the service for 350 pesos a session, that is aproximately 35 dollars. So well, this was my experiencce i saw many cases, people with different conditions getting better and i saw it in myself. I guess doctors are a little unwilling to accept an onther approach to healing, this is a more hollistic one. Besides promotin cell regeneration, it gives you general wellbeing. Jan i hope i have answered your questions, if you, or anyone here, have more i am here to answer, i am certainly not an expert but i can tell you about my experience.

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2007 at 12:47 pm

Monica,
      I would not worry too much about the alcohol. Recently my nurse told me about another patient who “got drunk” while taking IVIg – due to the fact that both alcohol and IVIg (not to mention the premedication Benedryl) all dehydrate you it’s not a good idea to drink alcohol while you are getting IVIg. This patient developed a rash and headache because of the alcohol adding to her dehydration, however, there is no evidence that alcohol would “wipe out” the IVig – as in flush it out of your system. Just drink plenty of fluids the next couple of days to help rehydrate and don’t worry about cancelling out the IVig. :p

Julie