How long after flu shot did GBS symptoms begin?

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2007 at 5:33 pm

This question is for those whose GBS or CIDP is related to a flu shot.

How long after you got the shot did your first symptoms appear?

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2007 at 8:00 pm

Approximately 5 weeks… hmmm.

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2007 at 11:11 pm

[QUOTE=Suzanne]This question is for those whose GBS or CIDP is related to a flu shot.

How long after you got the shot did your first symptoms appear?[/QUOTE]

Frank’s symptoms started 10 days after receiving the flu shot.

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2007 at 11:13 pm

Does anyone know where I might find good statistics about the length of time between the flu shot and getting GBS?

Any information would be appreciated.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2007 at 11:45 pm

Hello,
      I have CIDP and I knew something that was becoming bad was wrong with me, but I wasn’t diagnosed yet, so I got my annual flu shot in 1998. ONE WEEK LATER, I was literally knocked off my feet and thereafter, could no longer walk. Also, I got my annual flu shot in November 1997 and four months later, what turned out to be CIDP started.

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2007 at 9:20 am

[QUOTE=Suzanne]This question is for those whose GBS or CIDP is related to a flu shot.

How long after you got the shot did your first symptoms appear?[/QUOTE]

My Dad was diagnosed six days from receiving the flu shot. November 19-06 Within 72 hours he was on the vent. Eight weeks today he is still on the vent. Worst case they have ever seen.

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2007 at 3:22 pm

I was five weeks from vaccination to the day. I agree with Chrissy-hmmm……
      Ted

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2007 at 5:01 pm

[QUOTE=Suzanne]Does anyone know where I might find good statistics about the length of time between the flu shot and getting GBS?

Any information would be appreciated.

Suzanne[/QUOTE]

If I’m not mistaken it can be anywhere between 1 week to 6 weeks, it could be 8 to 10 weeks (?)

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2007 at 6:07 pm

Mine was about 6 days.

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2007 at 6:31 pm

Bringing this back up in hope of getting more replies. Thank you to those who have answered my query so far.

I guess those of us who have no known reason for GBS onset are always looking for connections. I had a flu shot Nov. 20 and had first GBS symptoms on Dec. 31. I’m still wondering if that might have been the cause.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2007 at 7:15 pm

I would venture to say yes, the flu vaccine caused your GBS. The window of developing GBS is if I remember 8-10 weeks. I wish Jethro would answer this one, he knows the facts better then any of us.

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2007 at 10:43 pm

Thanks, Brandy,

I’ll PM Jethro and see what he can tell me.

Hope you are feeling a little better these days, now that the holidays are done. Take care of yourself.

Suzanne