How can GBS go away fastest?

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2007 at 4:02 am

Hi everyone who lives here like the same family,

My name is M and I am 27 years old. I was found to have GBS in August 2007 and had the IVIG once. Fortunately, I did not have severe GBS. I didn’t need to stay in ICUs or respirators. Now, I’m doing better and have to do some physical therapy in a hospital everyday. However, I still feel numb in my hands and feet as well as twitching some time in my legs, feet, and hands. Also, I have a foot-drop and connot control my legs and feet perfectly. I am about to have the EMG test within a week and see if there is any improvement. However, I’m still worried about my condition and wonderring how long this GBS will stay with me. I indeed know that it depends on people, case by case. Still, I want to know something or resuduals that I might confront with in the future. Can anybody explain me about the future of this GBS? And most imortantly, how can I get away with this the GBS fastest?

Thank you so much for the reading and educating me.

M

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2007 at 7:59 am

Dear M

GBS for me was in comparison to many of the cases reported on this site a mild case. Recovery has been slow but even seven years post GBS DX, I still see improvements. I am now 64 and do have a few residuals: a. tingling in hands and feet, b. fatigue c. some nerve pain. Yet, I do most of the things I did before GBS with some modifications. One phrase that I picked up from a member of this forum that has helped is “listen to your body.” Another is GBS — “Getting Better Slowly.”

I suspect many others will respond to your questions. This is a great family that gives much of themselves to help others. Much success in you steps to recovery.

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2007 at 9:37 am

hi m,

yes, no one knows how long nor to what degree any one gbser will recover, but recover you will. fastest way to recover is to rest lying down as often& as much as possible. be aware of how you are doing, but do not obsess. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2007 at 6:08 pm

I suggest that you read the old posts. If you find that you can identify with some of the members, then I would click on their name and read their posts starting from their first one. Some will probably make you feel blessed that you did not get it as badly as others have. You will notice that even the way doctors treat GBS is different. Some improve with IVIG; others don’t. The ER said they would not do IVIG as long as I could hold a cup in my hand. That was when I left – not being able to walk – and went wholistic. It is all up to you and your doctor. You might want to divert your attention away from the daily looking for changes. I think we improve by 1/1000th each day. But I do think reading the old posts would be helpful. This site is like being in a huge auditorium with people in the same boat. We didn’t ask to be here, but we are sure glad that we have each other for support and answering questions. Welcome aboard.

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2007 at 9:58 pm

M,

I think everyone has pretty much covered it. Im sure if you have already read the forums, you realize that there is no easy fix, nothing to do that will help it go away quickly. It takes a long time for the myelin around the axons to regenerate, so unfortunately the thing that will make it go away the quickest is patience 🙂 . Overdoing things will only set your recovery back.

Basic things like looking after yourself with regard to good nutrition, resting a lot while recovering and good physical therapy is obviously a good way to help in recovery. It also seems that fatigue is the most common thing after ‘recovery’, pain in hands and feet can also be something that seems to linger as a residual.