Home Health Aide Help with Private Insurance

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Hi everyone,
      I have private insurance and am wondering if it is possible to have them provide me with help at home. I worked in the medical field for many years and remember sending Home Health Aides to help people at home do daily tasks such as cooking or light cleaning. After my IVIG dose, I feel like I am useless. I can’t even get up to get a drink! Does anyone know if private insurance companies (I have Avmed) covers HHA’s?
      Thanks,

• January 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Hi Florencia,
      I imagine it would take a skillfully drafted letter from your doc. Are you up there in age, is your husband working? I am sure all of those things would come into play. If you don’t ask you will never know, and if your insurance pays for it, why not take advantage of it. Good luck!!!
      Dawn Kevies mom

PS, don’t know how you feel about this, but maybe there is a church in your neighborhood you could call, alot of times they have volunteers as well, high schools ALWAYS are looking for community service projects for the students. My son just completed a project at a womans shelter. Hopefully your doc and insurance comapany will be able to help you!

• Anonymous
      January 18, 2010 at 12:03 am

When I was at my worst, unable to walk & no use of my arms or hands, I did have an RN coming to the house to do my IVIG & solumedrol infusions, taking my blood pressure & listening to my heart rate. But when we checked to see if it would cover anything like bathing me or helping me dress, we were told that that was considered “maintenance therapy” & it would cost us $35 for half an hour. We had excellent private insurance, still do. Forget about medical insurance paying for someone to clean your house…

We got a house keeper for $15 an hour every two weeks (still have her), & my mother moved in to take care of me during the day. She made my breakfast & lunch, helped with dinners, helped me to get dressed, emptied my commode, etc. My husband gave me sponge baths, washed my hair in the sink, did all of the errands, bills, dishes, washing of clothes, etc. We lived like this for two years until I finally began to show improvement from my cytoxan infusions months prior.

Dawn has some excellent suggestions, I know our church has a list of volunteers to do things like grocery shopping, cleaning, running errands, etc. I wish I had known that at the time. There are also other agencies that can help out as well. But private insurance paying for someone to clean, I doubt it…

• Anonymous
      January 18, 2010 at 1:58 am

It never hurts to call & ask your insurance company. My step-grandma is on Social Security & has someone come to her house twice a week to run errands & clean up. She has fibromyalgia & a few other illnesses I can’t exactly remember right now.

Good luck,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      January 18, 2010 at 2:22 am

I went through a few agencies and the cheapest was $ 15.00 an hour/two hour or more only. This was for someone to drive me to the doctors/errands. Then I met this nice lady who charged me next to nothing to get my groceries/medicine/drive me to the doctors.
      So please call a church or ask your friends/neighbors who they may know.Your friends/neighbors may have a responsible teenager/college student/adult family member who may want to help you for much less than any agency would charge,
      I do have one neighbor who has home health aides come in to clean/get her groceries but according to her she must watch them constantly.
      Do you still have contacts where you used to work who could give you names of possible helpers? The aides would be glad to be paid directly and you could negotiate payment lower than what the agency would charge. I paid my helpers in cash and they were happy about that.

• Anonymous
      January 18, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Thank you so much for all the great advice. I will check with the churches close to home and also the schools in the area for kids looking to for community service hours. I know that kids are obligated to fullfil a certain amount of community servoce hours. The problem with me is that I am young. I am 34 years old. As my Neurologist tells me “Your biggest disability is that you don’t look disabled”. I am very lucky that I am able to walk and take care of most things in my household. I could not hold my job and continue to take care of myself and children. One thing had to give and it was my job. On bad days, I can’t even get out of bed. This makes it immpossible to drive my children to daycare, make lunches, dinners, etc…. and forget about my husbands needs. I just seem to need a little help with the things that fall through the cracks. For instance, today, it is 10:25 PM and I am just getting out of bed. I have been in bed with a migraine and backache due to the IVIG I just had. Mt children have been on their own today and they are at an age when they need me. They are 4 years old and 21 months. It kills me to hear my baby crying for her mommy when I am out of reach yet in the next room. Between my husband, housekeeper and part time nanny, we are getting by, although completely draining our bank account. And no matter how much help I have, it is never a replacement for my children, I am the mommy, not the housekeeper. I don’t know…. I guess I am just ranting. I a depressed, helpless, full of guilt, and feel that the little amount of energy I have should be spent with my children and not on making myself feel better. I feel alone…………. How do I explain this to my kids? My husband has been a trooper but I know that he doesn’t really “get it”. No one really does. I feel even my neurologist really understand this disease…………… Heck I don’t really understand it. All I know is that I feel sicker and sicker and have less eneergy everyday. Everyday I stay in bed is filled with guilty thoughts about my being a horrible mom. I know I am not alone in this…………… Everyone reading this who feels this, please help me understand how to get passed this guilt.
      Again, I thank you all for your advice and well wishes. I appreciate you all. You help me know that even though I feel alone, I’m really not.

• January 18, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Florencia,
      I would almost BET you could get the kind of help you need, especially with the kids. For example, our HS has a program that allows the kids to do a daycare situation for a class. Parents can drop off the children at the HS and they are cared for. Or, I am sure the baby sitting situation could be filled with community service hours. Maybe you could call the local HS and ask to speak to the guidance counselor to see if they could help you out. Good luck.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      January 18, 2010 at 11:55 pm

I had no idea how young you were when I responded, or how young your children are. My daughter is 33 & due with her second in a week or two. I just can’t imagine if it were her with this illness. I was struck at 48 & remember that foremost in my mind was the fact that my youngest child had just turned 21.
      I know all too well when you complain that people just don’t get it, or that we look too well to feel this crappy. Yesterday I had a good day, no I can’t walk without my AFOs, run, jump, carry anything, etc. But I actually felt somewhere near to what a healthy person my age must feel. I can’t remember the last time I had felt that way. I can’t offer any more suggestions, but I certainly get it. I can say a prayer for you, no more, no less…

• January 19, 2010 at 2:55 am

Hi Florencia,
      I would definitely call your insurance company and also ask your doctor.
      Next, maybe the Salvation Army or the Catholic Charities could help or perhaps these organization could suggest where to get the help you need.
      My prayers are going strong for you on this one. Hang in there. Times have got to get better for you and your family.
      We all have lots of ideas for you and something’s got to work.
      I will pray for your healing and hope that things get easier for you soon.

• Anonymous
      January 19, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I didn’t find out about meds to help stop/lessen the migraines, nausea or pain from IVIG till months later. Ask your neuro for them.
      So many of us laid in bed or the sofa drenched in sweat/fatigue from the IViG for days….When brushing my teeth became an option I really wondered what in the world was going on??
      Since we look okay no one has a clue. If someone stops by unexpectedly they always say-Are you ill. You look terrible. Yea. this is me “not pretending” to be okay.
      Having CIDP in its self is difficult plus the draining infusions and YOU have TWO small children.Can any parents/relatives come to help?? I am so grateful my bible group ladies said We’re in charge-you rest. We’ll do all the errands/taking you to clinic for infusions/whatever. We’re here-all of us. And they did as they said.
      Wishing you the best. Contacting the needed agencies/groups is time consuming but hope you find what you need.

• Anonymous
      January 20, 2010 at 2:50 am

I am in tears reading all of your words and prayers. I am so humbled by everthing going on around me, in my body and life………. My little girls are 4 years old and 21 months old. I was speaking on the phone with my sister today about an altercation I had with my husband earlier today. Since I was in the hospital all last week, I had cooked enough food for the girls to take to school and also dinner for them and my husband. I am really big on eating healthy/organic w/o toxins and knew that if I didn’t prepare food, my husband would have ordered pizza and Chinese the whole time I was gone. And who knows what the girls would have had in their lunchboxes!
      So I get out of the hospital Friday night sick as a dog. Sat, Sun and Monday, I was in bed with backaches and migraines from the treatment. I finally get out of bed today at Noon and prepare my coffee, only when I open the fridge, I found there was no milk, eggs, and I could go on…. I called my husband raving mad about how it is possible to have 2 little girls here in this house and we don’t have milk? I asked if he was waiting for me to get my butt out of bed so I could go back to taking care of the household like before? I said “Don’t you get it?! I am out of the hospital, but not out of the woods yet”!!! At the top of my lungs! It’s amazing how not having milk can make it feel like your world is crashing down on you.
      The real reason for theis outbursdt was that I remembered the day before when I was laying with my migraine in bed and my 21 month old came to my door, trying to open it saying “Mommy,,,, Mommy”. When my husband said “No baby, Mommy isn’t feeling well and carried her away from my room, my heart broke. She was screaming for me!!!! All she wanted to do was feel me, her mommy next to her skin and I couldn’t even do that……… All that seperated us was a mere 10 feet, but I was untouchable to her……. I couldn’t even open my mouth to say “It’s ok”. What kind of parent am I???? I always put my kids first, but this time, I couldn’t even open my mouth to speak to her, for her………………… God I feel awful….. Useless……. Guilty……. Neglagent….. I just want to go back to the days when my kids were able to enjoy me…… I was able to enjoy them too with pain and set backs, but I would give anything to have that back again. Let them enjoy me, see me for me, my youth, my happiness, the free spirit who loves to fly kites barefoot and roll around in the dirt with them. That mom is gone, this mom doesn’t leave the house…………………………….. I’m so sad…. I feel I am mourning myself.