Hi Family! Just wanted to update on mom!

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2009 at 8:30 pm

😀 Hi family! Boy have I missed you all in here but have not had time at all to get online because of me caring for my mom right now. Many of you all already know about her knee replacement surgery that turned into Acute Kidney Failure right after her surgery. She is finally back to walking and eating now but still skinny from loosing so much weight. And still living with me right now but we hope to see her back home in the coming week where I will be staying with her a good week to see how she will do being back at home by herself.

It’s been a long winter from January 20th until today but we are over the hump to a degree. Took her to see the Kidney doctor and because of her having Acute Renal Failure her kidney’s have not completely healed and she is now diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease. We find out what stage she is in this Thursday and will then go from there. Waiting on some labs to come in and the doctor’s report. He seems to think the beginning stages and diet, medication and keeping her blood pressure stable might keep it from progressinng. But will know more Thursday!

Our new Grandbaby and my Daughter in Law are doing great. Still have not had time to post the photo’s but hope I can do so next week. Ohh she is so cute!

I just wanted to say Hello to everyone in here and wish everyone my best and hope you are all doing okay.
      I am extremely exhausted from taking care of my mom. Thanks to my husband helping me out some, I don’t know how I could have done it alone. But we finally got my mom walking, eating and it looks like she may be going home sometime this week.
      When I see she will be okay by herself at home, then I am coming home and taking myself a good weeks vacation.
      Well! I must say that I have seen two sides of this situation. One side I have seen me being sick and had my husband as my caretaker.

And then the second side is where I have seen myself become a caretaker for my mother. After seeing both sides, I have come to one conclusion! I think I would rather have my husband being my caretaker instead of me being a caretaker! 😀 It has been a very hard job doing, a real challenge and a struggle. But I somehow managed to care for another person which was my mom! But it has not been easy doing so!

I have learned a good lesson by this! If you have a caretaker caring for you! Do them a big favor! Give them a huge hug and a kiss and thank them for all they are doing to help you! Let them know they are deeply appreciated. Give them a smile for the day. They certainly diserve that recognition!

Well I hope to be back online next week sometime. But just wanted to say Hello and let you know that I have deeply missed my family in here! Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      March 23, 2009 at 10:59 am

Linda I have been worried about you being in that roll, being ill yourself! Seeing you post that you are extremely exhausted from taking care of you Mom is not good and you will need to give up things that you enjoy! We can chat later and get back to the crafts and flowers and garden. Our family is most important and you are correct about it not being an easy job being a caretaker. When I become ill I realised I was not a very good caregiver to my husband when he had his stroke. There was so much more I could have done! There are things I did that I don’t remember you just go on autopilot sometimes. The important thing is do what you can and ask for help for other things that others can help with. Even if it is something as simple as someone coming over to just keep our patients company as we do the other important things that we would not ask may to do for us! My work has not begun yet.

My Mom had her hip replacement March 12 and has been moved to rehab. She is the one doing all the work now to get home. Once she is home then I will try and spend more time with her to make sure she makes the change back to being at home. Today she is complaining that her throat hurts and her jaw and her legs are swelling. It is hard to see our Mom and Dads so fragile.

Remember to take care of yourself too! (((((HUGS))))) Your my hero!

• Anonymous
      March 23, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Linda,
      Great news about your mom. I hope her recovery continues. I know from my few weeks as a caretaker it really can wear you out. Hopefully you can start to rest up now and start taking care of yourself and let your hubby wear himself out.

You hit the nail on the head though, being a caretaker yourself give you a whole new outlook on what caretakers go through. I really appreciate my wife and what she’s been doing for me all whole lot more since we swapped roles for a few weeks back in November and December. Hopefully we will not have to do that again soon.

Hope to see you at the Tavern again. The first drink is on me.