Help! Need Input re: Blood Pressure & GBS

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Shortly after I was diagnosed with GBS (and still in the hospita – Dec. & Jan)l) my blood pressure dropped. Actually, it went dangerously low during a Plasmapheresis treatment and caused quite a commotion – So, the docs took me off all my blood pressure medicine I’d been on for 15 years, and I did okay for a few months. In June I started to have problems with higher blood pressure so went back on a low dose of my bp meds. Now it is still climbing causing me all sorts of problems – but then when I take my meds it drops – but only sometimes. Doc has me monitoring my bp 2X daily – I am still only on 1/2 of what I took a year ago. My bp is just bouncing all over the place with no real pattern and causing me all sorts of dizziness, jerks, tiredness, etc. Anyone else have problems like this? Is erratic bp part of GBS? Any thoughts? Thanks, thanks, thanks – I love hearning from ya’all.

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Hello Cathie,

Severe blood pressure drops are not uncommon with plasmapheresis, although they are temporary (hours to maybe a day or so). Did your blood pressure recover promptly? If so, then perhaps your doctors overreacted.

Erratic blood pressure is a known residual of GBS (people here have various circulatory issues), but it is not a typical one. I suggest that you continue to work with your doctor. Let him know that you are concerned this might be a residual. He might select a different medicine and/or adjust the dosing. Checking your pressure 2x/day is a good precaution.

I am a little confused by your statement of “…when I take my meds….” I thought blood pressure medicine needed to be taken on a consistent dosing schedule and that it took the drug a while to be effective. If so, then perhaps you need to take the medicine more consistently for it to stabilize your pressure.

Godspeed in finding a resolution
      MarkEns

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Both GBS and CIDP can affect the autonomic nervous system. What does that mean?

“…Your autonomic nervous system is the part of your nervous system that controls involuntary actions, such as the beating of your heart and the widening or narrowing of your blood vessels. When something goes wrong in this system, it can cause serious problems, including

* Blood pressure problems
      * Heart problems
      * Trouble with breathing and swallowing
      * Erectile dysfunction in men…”

There is a special test that can be run to determine if you trouble with your autonomic system.

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2010 at 8:58 am

Cathy,
      I too have experienced high/low flashes in my blood pressure. It has been described as normal by my neuro.

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2010 at 9:07 am

yes,yes,yes!!! my bp was normal before I came down w/gbs! Since then, I have been all over the place…meds changed ect…now I have orthostatic bp (drops) when I stand up. gbs messed up every aspcet of my life! But, hang in there….I just had by 4 yr ann. and I just keep taking it day by day! Best to you

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2010 at 11:53 pm

I received a pm asking for more info on the autonomic system tests. And, yes, I had those tests done twice at Mayo Clinic Rochester. My tests were normal.

Here’s the scoop:

[url]http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/autonomic-neuropathy/DS00544/DSECTION=tests-and-diagnosis[/url]

I’ve heard a neurologist in my area mention at the local Peripheral Neuropathy group meetings that these tests are available in his office now. They may be available in your area as well.

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2010 at 10:12 am

Cathie,

I had low blood pressure too. As Yuehan said, it can affect the autonomic nervous system. Mine was low for quite some time and I had the orthostatic problems too, and was diagnosed with dysautonomia. My blood pressure has finally gone up a bit, so hopefully it will resolve over time.

• Anonymous
      September 21, 2010 at 12:12 am

Thanks to all of you – this whole GBS thing has so many facets – like a diamond reflecting (or is it refracting) light, the sparkles just keep coming and changing. My BP is still nuts – the answer to the question about the meds – for about 4 to 5 hours after I take my regularly scheduled meds my BP is pretty normal and after that it either bounces up or down causing dizzyness or a very tired feeling. (dizzy when up, exhaustion when down). My doc is monitoring me but is slightly confused – I need to call my neuro on this I guess. I just wondered if any of you had experience with it. And now, check out my new post for my next problem – – – Ah, thanks to you all.