Help/Advice

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2007 at 6:16 pm

Hi everyone I got my DR to fill out functional abilities form. He filled it out like if I was facing my worse days. Well today I got called into the office because the form is not acceptable to them. It says I should be switched every 20 minutes and they can’t do that. I didn’t expect to be switched every 20 minutes but if I couldn’t do a job for 2 hours I could tell them so and asked to get switched or if I could do the job all day then all the better. No they said it would mean I would have to follow the form exactly change every 20 minutes and they can’t allow that. The form went to far for them.
      Also he made a mistake on the form he wrote Carpel Tunnel instead of Tendinitis. She knows I have tendinitis so it is ok. But I have CIDP ADHD learning problems and hearing problems so they can try to accommodate that but they don’t have to accommodate Tendinitis as it is not a condition but an illness that they do not have to accommodate

She wants my Neurologist to fill out a Functional Abilities Form because of my CIDP. With CIDP my nerves are not working at 100% and it makes me tired. My Health and Safety Manager knows I have Raynaud’s and can accommodate that but not Tendinitis. Some forms of tendinitis and bursitis may also be caused by diseases such as Psoriatic Arthritis and other arthritis. I seem to have all the symptom of Psoriatic Arthritis but waiting for results of my doppler ultrasound and to talk to Rheumatologist.
      They suggested that I apply for a disability pension.

They have to realize that I need time to get my tendinitis under control and maybe things will be better. I know my CIDP is causing me problems but more so now my tendinitis which they don’t have to accommodate they say. They will let thing stay the same for now but I got to go see my Neurologist about the form. Also I can’t just get an appointment to see her it’s not that easy. I see her at the Ottawa Civic Hospital.

Maybe my tendinitis is a sign of some other arthritis problems. I know Tendinitis is referred on the arthritis board as a repetitive strain injury. If that is so why can’t I used that excuse and go to WSIB/(Workplace Safety and Insurance Board)?
      I am so frustrated now it unbelievable.

Sorry for the long story.

Sue

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2007 at 6:52 pm

Sue,

No wonder you are frustrated! Just reading the complicated requirements gives me a headache, so I can only imagine how you feel.

With the tendonitis, it sounds like you won’t know the cause until you get your test results, so not much you can do with that until then.

Would it be possible to take another tact with your daily duties being modified due to your CIDP, such as requiring that you have a rest break every so often (30 min. or so)? Maybe this would also help your tendinitis.

I don’t understand either why tendinitis is not something they need to accomodate, since as you said, it’s a repeatative motion injury. Is there anything written by the govt. entity that governs workplace health/safety practice (I’m not familiar with what these organizations in Canada are called) that explains the parameters of injuries or conditions that employers are required to accomodate? If so, perhaps you could get a copy of this info., and read up on what is required, so when you and your doctors fill out the forms, you can do it in a way that meets the criteria they are looking for. You may be able to get the working conditions you need at work, by approaching it from another angle.

I”m sorry if this isn’t written very clearly, but I hope you get what I’m trying to say. There are sometimes many ways to accomplish the same end.

Best wishes, and keep your spirit up.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2007 at 8:58 pm

Hi Suzanne You are very clear.
      Tendinitis is also associated with certain kinds of arthritis I think that is why my Rheumatologist had me tested for the HLA-B27 gene which came back positive which this gene could be associated in my case with another arthritis like [B]psoriatic arthritis[/B]. Repetitive strain injury to me should be under worker compensation claim as a work related injury.
      But also because of my CIDP and the fact the nerves in my body don’t work 100% the repetitive of the job is to much for my hands due to the fact that my hands might work slower because of the CIDP and wonder if that is why I got Tendinitis.

Thanks again Suzanne

Sue