Help a struggling young man w/ GBS

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2008 at 10:59 am

One of my brothers friends who lives in california has GBS is feet and body seriously affected by the disease. He would not list and got extremely mad and frustrated with the theropists that were trying ot make his life better. I know physical and occupational therapy can be hard and frustrating. What he needs is a group or network in which he knows he is not alone.

His name is Rob Baker. The young man onced own a gym and was very athletic. You could say he worshiped his body and now the musciles are flab and blames God for the disease.

I don’t know what to do. Is there anything that I can do? Or ya’ll even?
      Please he really needs help. 🙁

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2008 at 10:58 pm

Kinney, The best thing for Him would be to join the Family here and read that there is life after GBS. It sounds like he is going through the natural path of denial, anger etc. It is a path he needs to take himself, but with support he can get through it easier.

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2008 at 10:38 am

Kinney,

I totally agree with Cheryl. He needs to understand/realize that this is really not the end at all. There is life after being diagnosed with GBS/CIDP.

I was never in “top” physical shape (hated running – I’m built more work mule than thoroughbred), however I did compete agressively in high school and collegiate athletics – American football, wrestling, and intramurals mainly. I had a tough time adjusting to my limitations after I was released from the hospital – and I still need some reminding from time to time.

What I’m getting at, is there is a LOT of support here. I’ve spilled what’s eating at me here more than once, both on the boards and to individuals in a private message. EACH time, I’m given encouraging words and ideas to help me through.

Introduce him to the Family here. Encourage him. Listen to him.