Hello! New to this!

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2007 at 8:30 am

It is encouraging to see the discussions and support on this site. My husband was dyx. with GBS in Sept. of 2006. It has been a very rough year. I have been reading posts on this site for awhile and if I can get him involved I think it will help him. He is doing pretty well, he has a lot of trouble with fatique.He can walk[not like he use to] and he can pretty much take care of himself. It seems as though his feet and legs are affecting him the most, and a general feeling of fatique.He is an avid guitar player.Chet Adkins the 2nd! It took about 6 mo. before he could play 2 strings together. We were wondering if there are any other musicians that have had GBS? This has been very difficult to deal with.We are looking forward to hear from other people,we need the support! I am not very computer literate,so I may get lost once and a while.Please be patient!

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2007 at 9:40 am

Good Morning and welcome to this site. There is sooo much support and information here. It has become a daily event for me to come and read posts, and gather information for myself.

Although I am not a true musician, I do play the piano and find I don’t have the dexterity that I used to have, nor the speed to play. As with everything else post GBS, there are some changes in my lifestyle to make. It is a long road to recovery, but hopefully the both of you can find some others to relate to here. Good luck and again welcome…Gabrielle

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2007 at 10:01 am

Hi Guitarman, Welcome to The Family. There are other guitar/musicians in The Family, I’m sure they will chime in soon.:)

• November 18, 2007 at 4:09 pm

Hi Guitar mans wife!
      My son Kevin LOVES to play guitar hero on xbox 360. In the begining it was difficult, and now after we have resumed treatment, he is on the difficult level. There is hope!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2007 at 5:44 pm

[I][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=purple][B]Welcome to the forum, I don’t play any musical instrurments. But I wish for the best for your husband, I got a lot of knowledge about GBS. In taking care of my wife.[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

• Anonymous
      November 19, 2007 at 2:30 pm

Guitarman I sent you a private message. Once you sign in to the forum you will see at the top of this discussion board a place where it says Welcome, Guitarman, you can click on there where it says “Private Messages” and open my PM and it will give you a site that contains a video of a GBS person that now is able to play his guitar and it might give you hope and a goal to work toward. I worked on all the tiny muscles in my fingers, hands and wrist to get them to work like they did before. It took time and I never gave up hope. I still have some areas that need work but my range of movement has increased so much. First time I pulled up to the drive thru window at my bank and could not turn my wrist to get my reciept back was terrible. Now I can get the change and doggie biscuit they hand out for my traveling partner. Pretty bad when the teller knows my dogs name but not mine! Keep reaching for those strings!

• Anonymous
      November 19, 2007 at 8:26 pm

Thanks everyone for the welcome.I like the guitarman’s wife! I will probably have to relay back and forth for him, I can’t get him to use the computer! Thanks Kit for the PM. We did read it.He has got a lot better with guitar playing.That is one thing he can do,so he practices a lot.I told him he has his Chet fingers back! Of course he doesn’t think so. At least that keeps him working at it. We are not involved in any pt now.He does do pt on his own-some of the exercises the home health people showed us.From the onset of the GBS he spent 11 days in intensive care, 3 wks.in a rehab hosp.then about 8 wks.of in home pt and ot.I would like to see into some sort of rehab. again to see if we could be doing more. His bowel and bladder were the first to shut down, then hands and legs. We are thankful it didn’t affect his face or go to his lungs. Looking back, we had never heard of GBS and didn’t have a clue to how bad it could have gotten. Has anyone had GBS to start with their bowels and bladder? That was what our small town hosp. was treating him for. Thank goodness we went on to a city hospital,they started treatment within hours for GBS. and got it turned around .Sorry this is so long!
      Have a good evening!
      guitarman’s wife