Hearing issues

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2006 at 8:11 am

Has anyone had a loss of hearing caused by this disease. My son undiagnosed fits the disease symptoms except for his hearing loss say the doctors?????:confused:

Colleen

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2006 at 8:18 am

I have actually seen research in the Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine mentioning the opposite, that GBS almost [U]never[/U] affects hearing.

Now, [COLOR=”Blue”]please take this with a grain of salt[/COLOR] since, to begin with, GBS is very rare, and I have come to question the overall “institutional knowledge base” of the disease with so little research having been completed to date, and the research that has been done having to be limited in scope. I often think I learn much more from the experience of people in this forum than I do from any physicians.

My summary is that GBS seems to be so “individualized” that I would not be comfortable in ruling out any symptom by and of itself (i.e. hearing loss). Best wishes for some better answers.

regards,
      doug

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2006 at 8:57 am

Colleendm – I had/have Miller Fisher which is a variant of GBS and did lose my hearing on my left side for approximately 2 months.
      Sally