Health Insurance

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2007 at 1:33 pm

My Husband was diagonised with GBS last July. We are currently tring to get health insurace. Because we are a small business we are having a hard time finding a company that will cover him. Is this a commen problem?? They say that you are never cured of this and that it may return. This is not what our doctors have lead us to believe. Can anyone give me some insight on what to expect in the future and what can we do about health insurance for him??

Thanks

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2007 at 9:45 pm

hi chelle & welcome,

3% of gbsers will have another gbs attack. he should rest whenever he feels fatigued. this is important. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2007 at 11:45 pm

It is difficult enough to get health insurance on your own nowadays if one is young & healthy, let alone if one has had a catastrophic illness. One of the major problems of GBS is that so little is known about it, especially by insurance underwriters. My husband (who has no healthy issues), just went through the process of getting life insurance & it took almost 5 months. The holdup; the fact that his father died of a heart attack at age 65. They didn’t consider that his father was overweight most of his life & had also been a smoker all of his life. My husband’s weight is perfect & he has never smoked.

I don’t think they are worried so much about him getting GBS again, they are wondering what unknown residuals it might cause down the road. There may be none, there might be many, but they are afraid of the unknown. Try various companies, one might come through for you.

• Anonymous
      May 28, 2007 at 1:19 am

I think i would be asking the insurance company to provide you with written proof that he will never get rid of this. since there is none in the medical schools, where would they get the written proof from?! since all drs have to go through the training and they all say recovery is expected in 1 year, and 100%, it makes it really hard for the insurance companies to prove the applicant never gets over gbs/cidp. just my way of looking thru the rose colored glasses i guess. i think ins co have way tooooo much pull in health care and health matters. drs need the reins back from the ins co.:mad: and yes i know the ins co is right that the residuals never go away for everyone, but i don’t like to give them the satifaction that they know something that some drs don’t know.;)
      even angels have their devilish sides:D