healing supplements and foods

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2008 at 12:35 pm

What supplements do you take? How do they help? Trying “healing” foods?

• June 14, 2008 at 12:28 pm

I noticed that some of us have mentioned feeling better on a higher protein diet. I did some research (I love research!) because I thought it was more than a fluke, and found that protein is a part of an anti-inflammatory diet! If you have an auto immune problem it does say to eat less protein than the recommended amounts. Our feeling better with protein may also be less sugars, better carbs, less preservatives, and more whole grains.

Dr. Weil has a book about it and there are other books too.

When I first got sick, was undiagnosed, and couldnt eat because it felt like my insides were numb/not working. I turned to protein shakes to get something in me. As I got a bit better, I started eating whole grains, soy milk, protein, veggies and fruit (I would drink whole fruit juices or a veggie/fruit combo if I couldnt eat…v8 fusion is a good one and of course Whole Foods markets and such sell pure fruit and veggie juices that I took a liking to). Of course as I got even better, I slipped up and ate some fast food. It made me sick and tore up my system. But, hey ya get used to it and the negative effects go away after a while so I failed to stick to my new ways of eating.

After reading up on the anti inflammatory “diet”, I started a new routine. I bought some CholestOff (high in plant sterols), CoQ 10, Fish Oil, plus I take a b complex on one day and a prenatal vitamin on another (not PG just has the vitamins I was looking for), selenium because the multi I take doesnt have it. I have also started eating better since my cholesterol was a tiny bit high. Lots of water…no soda, no Vitamin Water (which I was addicted to!), no coffee, no fruit cocktails. I had been feeling pretty awful lately but things have gotten better. I started the supplements three days ago. I shampooed the carpets (it rained and I was sick of the muddy paw prints and such!), started a veggie and fruit garden (which meant I was digging, planting, squatting, and out in the sun for about an hour sweating), along with other house work and walking up and down our stairs. Last night my muscles were killing me! I could shuffle but anything else was very uncomfortable. I forced myself to stretch and do some lifting of a 10 pound weight (need it because I have noticed some changes in my muscle tone after 2 years of not being able to do anything), used my Village Naturals muscle lotion, took my supplements, and got a good nights sleep. Guess what? No pain this morning! Very little tingling. And very little stiffness when I first got up.

I am going to try sticking to the healthy eating and incorporate it into our lifestyle and see how things go. The kids are a bit iffy about less meat and more grains and beans and veggies, but I think it will go a long way in their overall health and future well being. LOL Plus I have been making them play outside. My daughter has a bike now she rides all over, my middle son is quite active but has taken up jogging, bike riding, playing football with his friends, and my oldest rides his bike to and from work and anywhere else he wants to go (at 17 I feel a car is silly for him, not to mention his paycheck would go into the gas tank). I have started walking a half mile every other day, plus working my arms with a 10 pound weight, stretching at least twice a day, and light crunches. In a month, I have lost 6 pounds (15 more to go!)! If I need a day off, I rest rest rest and the family totally understands.

I had been on Zoloft for about 3 weeks and it put me in bed with so much pain. I weaned off of it and my family is much happier to have “ME” back. I do take a xanax at night if I need it for anxiety (which is really bad at bedtime…because I was afraid to fall asleep when I was sick because I was convinced he GBS would spread to my chest and kill me in my sleep). But the dr said he doesnt want to give me anymore because it is addictive. I take it once a day only at night if I need it. I am well aware of the addictive side of it, but he wont listen. All I know is I have been able to actually sleep well and I havent done that in 2 years!! *sigh* Anyhow, sorry for rambling. I just wanted to give y’all some info that has worked so far for me.

Let’s start a thread about what is better. Meaning how much things have improved since we first got sick. I think it would help us look at the positive side of things and give others hope.

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2008 at 10:49 pm

awesome to hear that other people are into naturopathic healing! I am not deep into it, since i am pregnant, but i have seen it do wonders. I’ve also seen people end up in bad situations by doing only the natural thing. Actually, before i started nursing, i seriously checked into becoming a doctor of naturopathic medicine. Thought nursing would be a more stable career though, so i went with that and love it.

Anyway, i think a healthy balance of all types of healing is ideal. When this baby comes, i plan on a south beach type of diet (it doesn’t restrict good carbs as much as atkins), plus going to the herbalist. i imagine i’ll be taking coq10, fish oil, creatine, etc. I also love the healing foods thing! it’s food, not a pill, so im not as scared of it. My son almost died last year from a bad reaction to a medication (he was laid up for 6 months), so i mentioned to the liver transplant doctor that i was considering “going herbal”, and the doc said that the same things happen with herbs, too. So, i am nervous about any type of medications.

Sounds like you are coming along really well. That is wonderful and i am sincerely happy for you, as well as your family! Im impressed that you got so much done this spring, especially the garden! You rock! About that new thread (what’s gotten better), it hink its a great idea! I can start it now, if you haven’t already done that. I’ll check it out right now!

Take care and keep up the awesome progress!
      Jamie

• June 24, 2008 at 2:47 pm

I wanted to update on how the supplements are working….

Since I started them, I have been experiencing less pain and tingling. Still a little stiff but stretching helps immensely as does staying active. Even if that means watering the garden and lawn and doing laundry (which means mulitple trips up and down the stairs). I have had more energy and less anxiety, and seemed to have less down time lately. I also added Alpha Lipoic Acid to the mix.

Each month on the anniversary of the GBS getting so bad I went to the ER, I have problems with things. Weakness, tingling, pain, fatigue, trouble with my throat, headache. It happens on the 21st and 22nd. Yesterday I felt crummy, but not nearly as bad as prior months at the same time. Today I feel as close to normal as I can considering things are not perfect yet. Before, I would end up feeling really bad those 2 days and spend a few more days “recovering” from the down time. I have no idea at all why I flare up on those 2 days. Maybe it is PTSD? No clue. I’d like to know, I would like to talk to a neuro and see if I could be a “guinea pig” and possibly help others with at least information and peace of mind if they deal with the same thing or similar, ya know?

Anyhow, I am going to try something while the kids are gone to their dads (a month! ARGH!). I am going green. If I could afford the juicer I would buy it, but for now I will figure something else out. I started reading Montel Williams book “Living Well” and it is all about eating right, exercising, etc. I was surprised to read that most of what I was drawn to when I was sick is what he suggests eating/drinking for overall health. Now remember, he is living with MS, and it has helped him a LOT. I figured, if I was drawn to those types of foods in the beginning, then there must be something to it. A body knows and will ‘crave’ what it needs if we listen to it. I want to see if this switch in diet and activity will help alleviate some of the lingering issues I have. Not sure how to overcome my dislike of fish though….would rather have a ribeye any day than have to eat fish! Baby steps right? So I am going to spend the time without the kids taking care of me. I have not gotten to do that since I got sick, so it will be interesting to concentrate on just ‘me’. If this works out the way I am hoping it does, I am going to incorporate it into our family lifestyle and see how healthy we can get ourselves.

If anyone is interested, I can keep ya updated. Your own “test subject” 🙂

Supplements:
      CoQ10
      Super B Complex (one day and a multi the next)
      Multi Vitamin
      Alpha Lipoic Acid
      Cholest OFF (plant sterols)
      WATER (lots of water)
      Omega 3

(I think this is all)

• Anonymous
      June 24, 2008 at 4:34 pm

Might I add one little suggestion to F.O.G. …..if you are drinking lots of water, then you are flushing out your B complex. It is water soluable. B’s are so important for our nervous system. Are you drinking all that water because you are thirsty or you think you need to? They seem to be changing their mind about eight glasses a day. That amount washes out your B’s when you urinate. One way to tell is to see if you are holding water (edema). Push your finger into the top of your foot and see if a fingerprint stays for a few seconds. If so, you need more B’s. Actually B6-….

Since you are soing such a great job in helping your body get healthier, it would be good to check out eating for your bloodtype. If I listened to my body, I would be eating chips and Hagen Dasz!!! I do know what you mean, but to fine tune your body, it helps to know your bloodtype. I knew my body did not do ell with a cantalope, but never knew that potatoes or peanuts or corn were bad. Just a thought.

• June 24, 2008 at 6:40 pm

I didnt even think about the water flushing the B’s out. I used to drink vitamin water (has b vitamins in it) but the calories were catching up on me. I switched to Smart Water with electrolytes (not too fond of most bottled water but I really like this one). I drink one bottle, sometimes two depending on what I am doing or how hot it is, and they are the equivalent to a little over a quart each. Should I take 2 B’s a day?

My blood type is A positive. I will have to look into eating for my blood type. I would love to exist on carbs but end up feeling crummy if I over indulge. Probably would help if they were actually good carbs instead of junk ones.

Thanks for the input!!

edit:

Oh man…the info for my blood type says I should avoid animal proteins and go more veggie. Which is interesting considering that I feel best eating this way.

But it also tells me to avoid my faves like cheese (I love good cheese! But havarti and gouda arent on the list! Yay!), nuts (I love nuts! and cashews and pistachios are on the avoid list and those happen to be my faves) and a few others. Hmmm…I am going to see if I can incorporate both ideas into my life. Also interesting that it says tpye a has a difficult time absorbing b12 wow!

Again thank you, very very interesting info!

• Anonymous
      June 24, 2008 at 11:51 pm

I’m not sure if single malt Scotch actual helps, but it sure does make the day to bay a whole lot easier. [Yes, I know that that is politically incorrect, but at my age who cares]

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2008 at 3:22 pm

Fairly Odd mother,
      Glad I could be of help. I don’t know what vitamin water has in it, but if it has B’s and sugar, then it is defeating the purpose. Sugar stops the B’s. Distilled water is the healthiest way to go. It has No taste. IF you find that it does, then you bought an OLD gallon of it. Really old. Albertson’s has it in containers that are larger than a gallon and made of a heavier plastic that does not leach out.
      My sympathy goes out to you for being an A bloodtype. (wink) Your two best sources of protein are tofu and miso. And yes, you are a veggie. If you get the book LIVE RIGHT 4 YOUR TYPE by Peter D’Adamo..that is the best source of finding out more info. Personalities also correspond to bloodtypes. So you are more introverted than an O would be. The book will tell you which nuts, cheese, etc are medicine for you, neutral, or bad. It just takes a little while to adjust and then it is a piece of cake. So you may be able to eat certain nuts and not others.
      I am currently reading a book by Dr. Nancy Snyderman, the chief medical editor for NBS news : Medical Myths that can Kill You. She talks about the myth of drinking 8 glasses of water a day. She said that if your urine is dark yellow or brown, you are dehydrated. Ptherwise you are okay with other liquids. I would add – if you are taking a B complex and your urine is not yellow, you need another B-complex capsule. (Always buy capsules if you can – they dissolve better.) I take 3 B-complex capsules a day. (100 mg) The more sugar in your diet, the more B’s you need. And never take just one kind of B without taking a complex during the day – this will create an imbalance.
      Hope this helps.

• June 25, 2008 at 8:26 pm

Tofu and miso are not very yummy choices LOL! I’m an interesting personality type….I dont even know where to begin on that one, but I have been told I am a walking contradiction. Who knows, maybe I can eat the things I love in moderation because of one thing, and get to avoid others that I dont like anyhow because of another. In the Living Well diet it says to eat things like sardines. I hate seafood, cant even stand the smell of it. With the blood type one, it says I dont have to eat such things. Whew! I am going to try and find those books you mentioned so I can make a well rounded healthy plan for myself. And I hope somehow find a happy medium for everyone else in the family. Good things is we are all “A”s *ickies tofu all around!*

Oh and the vitamin water is HFCS which is one thing I didnt like about it. Even contacted the company about it. So, the Smart Water is distilled and one plain water I actually love. I am going to up my B to twice a day and see how things go. I know too much can cause numbness and tingling so I will be cautious. I dont allow my urine to become dark…prone to kidney stones and dont want to ever go thru that again…a slight tint is what it usually is because of the vitamins I take, if it is too light I step back on the water. I also know too much water is not good either. Oh to find a nice balance with all of this.

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2008 at 9:47 pm

F.O.M.,
      I have taken plenty of B’s and have not had any numbness or tingling. Did you ever experience this or did you read it? Many of the articles in magazines and newspapers are wrong. Like the ones that say red meat is bad for you. Yes, if you are an A, but it is medicine for O’s. My father had kidney stones and they say to be careful of vitamin C. I had him on high doses of it for thirty years. He never got them again. The only thing I would say that would work for everyone is to cut back on sugars and starches.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 3:02 am

This reply is a little late but my husbands podiatrist wants him to take some of the supplements you all have mentioned. He had to have a partial foot amputation 3 months ago and she did research and said the supplements promote healing.She also knows he has CIDP. She ran blood work to find out what all he was deficient in. The lab recommended Vitamin b3 which is niacin,lipoic acid, vitamin c,selenium coenzyme q10, vitamin e and one which I am having trouble finding Glutathione (NAC) and cysteine. Upon my research these are together in one supplement. It is used to promote the immune system and works well with the other supplements.It is also used for the gastroittestinal system if you are having problems with that using any drugs. My husband has had problems for over 2 months from the infusion antibiotics they have been giving him. It also helps promote cell regrowth which is what he needs after an amputation. I found this at some vitamin stores on line but my husband would rather me try to get it at a pharmacy or GNC. She forwarded all this information to our PCP. I am hoping some of these work. He has been to neurologists our family dr. Southwest medical center an infectiouse disease dr. and for the first time these supplements make a lot of sense to me. None of the other dr.s mentioned taking these. I know they will not be a cure but maybe he can have a little relief. It takes about 4 months before we will be able to see any results so the paper from the lab reads. At this point in time I am willing to try anything to make my husband feel better.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 7:44 am

Be very careful taking too much vitiman B’s. A person can take all the B-12 they wish to take for you can never overdose on B-12. They have two kinds of B-12 tablets and one is Sub-Lingual that melts under your tongue and get’s into the blood stream much faster and is absorbed in the blood stream. Certain medications no matter how much B’s you eat or take can absorb your B-12 causing you to not get any or not much at all! That is one reason I no longer can absorb mine and now have to have those nasty B-12 shots on a bi weekly basis plus the tablets under my tongue.
      Folic acid is also one vitamin that is needed if you take alot of medications. That is very important you keep your folic acid. Vitamin D is another one that helps keep your bone density strength. Some medications can slowly eat away the bones in future years causing bone loss and osteosporisis.
      B-6 on the other hand is one vitamin that is very dangerous for those with nervous system disorders. Too much of that can cause a toxic reaction and cause worse nervous system disorders meaning more nerve damage. I was taking the B-6 and one of my labs came back reading that I was getting a toxic reaction.
      Foods! One fruit that you have heard me mention several times are ripe figs. Growing a tree of those and finding them around online is highly recommended. It helps keep the intestines and bowels working correctly. Early ancient medicinal fruit that does so many things. Even gets rid of warts.
      Garden vegetables that are fresh are extremely good for you. Mine are grown without pesticides. Broccoli, Spinach and most Greens have alot of anti-oxidants in them.
      But the B6! Stay away from that one! Too much of that can cause more nerve damage and most people get that in there foods anyway because of it being in the foods already.
      Hope my advice helped!

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 8:24 am

B6 was not the one recommended. The lab suggested B3 which is niacin. Thanks for the information though.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 9:09 am

Linda
      It was recommended that I take B6 by Dr. that gave me PP. I don’t have regular blood work done. What symptoms would I have for toxic reaction? I have been taking it for 10 months.
      Thank you
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 10:12 am

I have and take the B vitamins and checked the bottle and they are recommended for nerve health. I think as in anything if you take too much then you could have a reaction. I believe you should follow the daily recommended dose and you should be safe. I have had blood work and the only thing it showed was a magnesium deficiency so have topped that up.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 11:38 am

I take the B vitamins and I just checked the bottle. They are recommended for nreve health. I think as with anything, if you take the recommended daily dose, you will be okay.

I checked out B6, B3, B12, and it is when you overdose on B6 that it can cause neuropathy. It generally helps overall with mental health and autoimmune issues, viral infections, etc. The B vitamins in the complex form are geared for us and we get the daily recommended dose so we wouldn’t need to worry about taking too much.

Shirley, my dr.’s have also recommended them so if you are taking the dose he recommends, you should be okay.

PS. I should add that the site I was on said that you would generally need to take over 1000mg’s a day to hit the toxic level.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 12:17 pm

Jan, Thanks for all the information. Just checked my vitamin B6 and it’s only 100mg, so I’m good on that. Read my other vitamins also, wasn’t taking enough fish oil daily, will change that.
      Thanks again
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Great Shirley. Glad I could help. The info said there is not documentation to suggest that anything 200mg or less will cause you problems. So yeah, I am continuing to take mine and I take 100mg too.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 8:03 pm

Ohh dear! I was not going after anybody here about the B Vitamins and or actually talking to one person. I was just posting about the B’s. That some are good while others are not.
      My doctor after telling me to take the B-12 recommended B-6 and Folic Acid. But a few months later I was getting too much B-6 and was getting a toxic reaction. B-6 can cause neuropathy and make you sick if you get too much of it. It does help the nervous system if you are not getting much of it. But most foods today already have B-6 in them and adding to much can cause problems.
      But I was not referencing to anyone here that had posted. I was just posting and adding my input like everybody else was. So please don’t think I was attacking anybody here! That was not my intentions.
      In fact I think we may have posted at the same time frame and you all got the wrong impression. I was just adding to the first few postings and noticed the B’s. Not telling anybody what to do! But I sure would not take B-6 at all because I have seen what it can do if you get too much!
      And was letting you all know that certain medications can eat the stomach lining causing B-12 issues in later years. It happened to me and I was just putting in my experence.
      I was not trying to offend anyone or cause problems! Some vitamins are great to take for the nervous system. But please make sure you investigate them further before taking them.
      You certainly don’t want to get too much of it in your system. Especially those that can cause toxic reactions if getting to much! It’s bad enough getting nerve damage from a disease or illness, but then adding something that can cause more problems with nerve damage is only going to make you get worse! And that is something we are all trying to avoid!
      It’s bad enough to have nerve damage already and then do something that we think is helping us to find out later it is hurting us is not a good thing to do!
      Each person is different though! Some people may have low B-6 while others don’t. With me! I have no intrinsic factor and my body does not absorb B12. Long term prednisone use ate my stomach lining and I no longer can absorb B-12 through the stomach. I can eat all the B-12 I want to eat, but no matter how much I eat it, it will never absorb. So the Bi Lingiul Tablets are better than the other kind because it enters the blood stream. And the shots go into the muscles.
      B-12, I highly reccomend to everybody in here because many of us take medications and those medications can cause stomach issues in the lining in later years. Not everybody, but there will be a few that will end up getting a B-12 problem because of taking large doses of medicines. Especially those on prednisone. Long term users at that! But B-6 or any medicine that can cause nerve damage I myself will stay away from.
      Just with me having Lupus. There is one kind of Lupus caused Drug Induced Lupus. Once a person stops taking that medicine the Lupus goes away! There are actually quite a few drugs that can cause Drug Induced Lupus. And if anybody has Lupus and takes these drugs they can also get a flare of Lupus to act up! So I don’t take them either!
      But I was not referring to anyone in here. I was just posting my input and I think a few posted around the same time so it made it look like I was telling someone what to do! Sorry about that!

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 8:26 pm

Hey Shirley! Recommeded dose of B-6 daily would be 100mgs per day. 500mgs can cause toxic reactions in some people. B-6 is in most of your meats. whole grain foods and nuts. And in many foods already premade it has the recommended daily dose.
      Toxic reaction would cause numbness and tingling in the hands and feet. And neuropathy.

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 7:33 am

Linda,
      I don’t eat much red meat. I have had the numbness and tingling in feet every since I got GBS and it has gotten a little better over time so I must be ok with the B6.
      You didn’t offend me in anyway at all. I am thankful for any information I get from the post of everyone here.
      Thank you
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 6:52 pm

My chiropractor suggested I read “The Wrinkle Cure” to get an idea of what suppliments I should take as I get better. I have to admit that the title of this book offended me, as I am not even out of my 20’s yet. I didnt read it, but my mom did and made me a list of the suppliments it recommended. I feel great. I don’t know if its me, or the suppliments or what… but I dont have many residuals and the ones I do have don’t inhibit me a ton. I have to avoid B in large doses because it hypes me up so much and then I get really emotional and irritable. My favorite suppliment is Agnus Castus or Vitex. I also drink Green Tea HP 2x per day.

[url]www.thewrinklecure.com[/url]
      [url]www.greenteahp.com[/url]

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 7:25 pm

Hi Shirley! Well if you don’t eat red meats then taking the B-6 would probably be okay. Kimberly! That books sounds really interesting! But I’m not in my 20’s anymore and could sure use a Wrinkle Cure! 😀 I would probably be offended by the title too if I was 20! But being in my later 40’s, I think any kind of wrinkle cure for me would do me justice. Might see if I can find the book! Thanks!
      Hey Shirley! One way to make sure the B-6 is not causing you problems is when you see your doctor and it’s time for your regular labs again, I would ask him to check your B-6 Levels just to make sure that you are getting enough. If you get a phone call telling you to stop taking it, then you will know why!
      In fact, any of us that take long term medications, it would be a good idea to have your B-12 checked every now and then. The Intrinsic Factor test. Believe me! It will save you alot of headaches later down the road if your body decides it wants to reject B-12. Especially those of us that are taking long term medications. Especially prednisone! It’s a miracle drug but does have it’s side effects.
      I went for almost a year with my B-12 all messed up and my doctors were checking me for Lupus. Thinking it was my Lupus acting up. Then my regular decided to send me to see a neurologist. She found the B-12 issue! I was going nuts too! Knew something was wrong and thought it was my Lupus also! That time it wasn’t my Lupus.
      The one bad thing I learned about having Lupus is other things can happen to your body besides Lupus. Other diseases can kick in at any time and mimic the disease you already have.
      And what did I do? I went to my doctor telling him my Lupus was flaring! LOL! Not even thinking I would get a B-12 problem! The older you get the more stuff you get! And boy is that true!

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2008 at 7:44 pm

I have been reading more about tart red cherries and just bought some juice. I am trying to get more of the “red” group in my diet.:)

[url]http://altmedicine.about.com/od/completeazindex/a/tart_cherry.htm[/url]

They also have significant amounts of potassium and melatonin.

• November 10, 2008 at 8:12 pm

I have a friend with gout, he does the red fruit thing and he said his gout is GONE!!! Can’t hurt!!!
      Dawn

There was a mention at the symposium to be wary of B6, something like 50mcg or whatever the standard unit of measurement is. They said a daily vitamin of it would be enough along with regular dietetic intake.

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2008 at 4:04 pm

My nurse and I were talking about supplements last week and she also mentioned it is better to take single supplements rather than multi kinds. Since I started taking the B12 injections last month, I stopped taking my multiple B supplement.
      I know going back to just eating well, fruits, veggies, etc. is still the best we can do for ourselves. I live alone and I don’t have a healthy diet intake; I find it very difficult cooking for one and a lot of the time, I just don’t feel like eating at all, so I do rely on supplements to “make up” for my poor food intake.
      I have one comment about all the books out there recommending this and that; a lot of you may disagree, and that’s fine. This is just my opinion. I feel the author is writing for monetary gain rather than helping us feel better. I am not trying to be cynical, but you can drive yourself crazy eating this way and that way. Good common sense and eating sensibly has always been best, my physicians have said, and I agree. I may not always eat well, but I try my best to eat sensibly.
      Emma

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2008 at 5:18 pm

Another great item to try out! Pomegrante Juice. It’s not cheap buying but has alot of antioxidants and really good for your health.

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2008 at 5:29 pm

I like Pomegranate juice too. I tried açai juice as it is suppose to be higher in anthrocyanins than pomegranate and blueberry (depending on whose report you are reading 🙂 ), but they add sweetener (agave if I remember correctly) and it just gets too sickening sweet for me.

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2008 at 5:48 pm

I get the all natural organic Pomegrante juice but it is rather twangy! I add alot of ice cubes to my glass and thin it down just a tiny bit with water. That helps get rid of that twang. It is lip puckering juice though. First taste makes your lips smack! LOL! Hugs! Never tried the Akai Berry before! Hmm! Might try that out. I even have to water down Grape Juice because it is too twangy. Orange juice too!

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2008 at 9:56 am

Hi all,

I recommend a booked call Prescription for Nutritional Healing. It has a wealth of information, and so far has been accurate with it’s info. The author is James and Phyllis Balch. They also have published Pres. for Dietary Wellness, and Prescription for Drug Alternatives, and I believe, one on drug contraindications.

I have CIDP, diagnosed in July 08. Have just finished my third IVIG, and have been on 50 mg of Prednisone since the end of September. (I’ve never taken prescription drugs, ever!lol).

Currently I’m taking for supplements:
      A vit/min supplement
      sublingual B 12
      400 mg vit E
      1200 Omega 3 Fish Oil
      Quercitin/vit C
      Lecithin(builds the myelin)
      4 oz Aloe Vera Juice(cell rejuvenator)
      1000 mg Cal/Mag/Vit D
      Co Q 10

Also am incorporating Anti Inflammatory foods/herbs in my cooking. Tumeric is one, and of course the usual garlic, parsley, oregano, rosemary, cabbage, blueberries, etc etc. I only buy organic, and make it affordable by organizing a natural food buying club.

It seems to make me feel better, and I notice a real difference when I am “bad” and have a Ben and Jerry’s attack! (although, I only get the frozen yogurt Cherry Garcia! lol). So far I haven’t gained weight from the prednisone, now if I could just get the sleep issue delt with.

Dawn

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2008 at 1:01 pm

I have the “Wrinkle Book”. It is The Perricone Prescription by Nicholas Perricone, M.D. I first heard him on Educational TV. When I saw the book later in the bookstore, I bought it. He says inflammation causes wrinkles and in his book he gives diets to reduce inflammation. He has a three day (jump start) diet. I will list the Shopping List for the diet.

Low-sodium tuna packed in water
      cantaloupe
      asparagus
      broccoli
      fresh spinach
      romaine lettuce
      strawberries
      blueberries
      raspberries
      blackberries
      green apples
      pears
      lemons
      olives
      raw, unsalted almonds
      hazelnuts
      macadamia nuts
      extravirgin olive oil
      spring water
      eggs
      oatmeal (not instant)
      fresh salmon
      low-salt turkey or chicken breast
      sardines packed in olive oil

I did the diet for three days. I felt a lot better. I still have my wrinkles!!

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2008 at 7:49 pm

A friend who is a doctor recommended Ovaltine to me. I never liked it as a child since I do not like the malt flavor. However, Ovaltine makes a Rich Chocolate (it is in a blue can) that I think tastes great! Take a look at the Nutrition Facts on the can — many, many vitamins. I have it every morning (great to take in the car when running late) and when I miss the morning then late at nigth before going to bed.

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2008 at 8:32 pm

Hi guys!

What a great thread and one that Wendy is following closely! Has anyone tried Arnica ointment for the inflammation? I have been rubbing it onto sore areas for years (if I didn’t Wendy would rub it on me anyway..) and I have come to believe in it. I plain forgot about it when I got GBS because I was thinking I use it for sports stuff so it didn’t occur to me. So when I started reading this thread I whipped it out and put some on my feet and blast me if they don’t feel better!
      I think it’s called Arnica Montana, but I’ve also seen Arnica Arnifolia. Even if it doesn’t work for GBS symptoms I highly recommend some in your medicine cabinet!:D
      Cheers!
      Johnny Mac

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2008 at 9:01 pm

No one has mentioned eating right for your blood type……I have practiced this for several years and had some of my friends on it……it makes sense that people from different regions would require different foods……like Chinese people having different requirements than Scandanavians…….

I am an O bloodtype so red meat for me is medicine. I tried going without it and my eyes would start weeping until I ate the red meat. But I had to eat it without a carbohydrate because that stopped it from being absorbed properly due to the acids secreted for digestion. I have the WRINKLE CURE book – cantalopes are bad for my blood type as well as several other foods on that list. I get a “sore” throat every time I eat it. But giving up sugars and carbs is healthy for the face. So I think it has helped in fighting TIME.

I disagree on taking only one particular B vitamin. The wholistic people have believed for years that one should take a B complex and then you can add whatever B you prefer. You do not want to unbalance the B’s.

I have been reading tons of books on wholistic health since 1970 and practicing what I have read. Yes, I did get GBS twice – 20 years apart – but mine was from major stress in my life – which O bloodtypes are not as good at handling….
      but I am not on any pain medication so I must be doing something right.

GBS Spring 1986 – after a bad, short marriage where my husband said he didn’t want to kill me, he wanted to cripple me…..
      GBS Fall 2006 – after taking care of my mother for 5 years, then her death and then my pet died the night before she died, then PTSD for the next year and then GBS