Headaches/visual probs/dizziness?

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Ok, I have a new issue. For over 2 weeks now, I have had constant headaches that move back and forth over my eyes, and I also feel it in the back of my head, with a buzzing feeling sometimes. I have visual issues, like words look funny and I feel out of sorts. I also feel dizzy, like I am falling over backwards when I walk, etc. It seems to fluctuate throughout the day. I am post 5 months initial symptoms, and I did not have this at all until now. The only difference is that I took one sip of a homeopathic remedy, Pulsatilla, one day before these new symptoms started. Coincidence, I don’t know.

I went to my family doc and he said, possibly an allergy to the remedy (I also have weird itching). Told me to take Zyrtec. I went to the neuro who said it is migraines and gave me a prescription for Bulbital (?). Problem is that I have a history of migraines and have never had these symptoms before. Also, they always responded to Excedrin, etc. These headaches do not. Has anyone had these issues post GBS? I feel like I need another scan of my head, but no doc seems concerned. Prior brain MRI was normal, but I did not have these symptoms before.

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Hi Jessicah, I had mild GBS in 2007 with quite a bit of facial involvement, so I thought I would take a stab at your question. First, you might want to see your eye doctor to see if you have had a retina problem (tear or fold). It would be rare at your age, but could happen. I have had lots of head ache type pain around my eyes, typically above the brow and in a circle around the eye sockets. I also had pulsing pupils for 2 years — just went away in the last three months. Focusing requires, among other things, coordination of the six muscles attached to each eye. Those are weakened during GBS. As they strengthen and get better, I have experienced the same pain as in the rest of my muscles. Mine would hurt for 2 or 3 weeks at a time, then I would notice some improvement in my vision. Maybe 6 months later, I would have another bout of pain followed by more improvement. I have also had pain in the back of my head. It felt like the pain was in lines. I am having the same kind of pain in the front of my thigh right now. I am assuming some nerves are extending or healing, and I will notice a difference soon in leg strength or muscle bulk. That is pretty typical for me. BTW, read your dental thing…so glad it went OK. I personally think my GBS was triggered by dental work, but can’t get confirmation on that (my dentist thinks I paranoid — probably right). And I always get teeth filled without numbing, like your hubbie suggested. Not that bad…u might want to try it…:D Andrea

• April 7, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Jessica,
      Just a thought, what is wrong with your teeth, re going to dentist? I only ask because a sinus infection could cause teeth issues as well as the headaches/eyes. I think I mentioned I had an issue a couple of weeks ago, thought I had a clot or something, only to find out it was a sinus infection. I have had many before, but nothing like this, no real nasal congestion, post nasal drip, nothing, it was weird. On another note we DO ALWAYS get headaches, until we started the sugar removal, and what we are allergic too, the cheese/milk and started killing the fungus. Coincidence I have no clue. But I have to think the allergy thing played a huge roll. Last suggestion, call weaton Eye clinic. If you think you can wait, ask for an appointment w/the neuro opthamologist explain things. If you want to get in fast, there is an on call er guy his name is Dr. Tichy (spelling) we saw him for my other son when we found out he was blind in his left eye. They saw us that same day and checked for optic neuritis and other stuff. Maybe pressure on the eye? Anyway, they are very accomadating. Maybe you have the miller Fisher varient. give them a call, what do you have to loose. The way I see it, a neuro optham. could be the one to help you, maybe they could check and make sure it is not turning into cidp (your NEW eye issues) It is worth a try. If you have no luck there, I would seriously consider mayo. It is awful to hear the sadness in your voice through words regarding the lack of help from the docs. April 15th we see Dr. Z at Rush for our ncv/emg if you want I will ask him if he has any reccomendations or if he would see you, if you like.

• Anonymous
      April 8, 2010 at 12:18 am

My headaches have diminished since GBS, but my dizziness has increased. Go figure. I seem to have much more sensitivity in my teeth. GBS seems to trigger so much – or maybe we become super sensitive and want to tie everything to GBS. I have no idea, nor does my doc. Am I just falling apart because I am getting older, or because of the GBS? Who knows? All I know is this is crummy.

• Anonymous
      April 8, 2010 at 10:37 am

Thanks all for your feedback. I have had bad luck with docs, and I read about how so many people on here have great docs. Surprisingly, the PCP’s have been great, it is just the neuros and some of the others.

Dawn, I just had to have a filling replaced. Don’t think I am having sinus issues. I have been to Wheaton Eye clinic like 3-4 times already (love that place!) I had vision probs in the beginning, and then I went back for a scratched cornea. Due to my dry eyes, my son scratched my eye accidentally and I had horrible pain. They gave me some drops. My eyes have checked out fine so far.

I really feel like there is something going on in my brain. I have headache pain, and a buzzing feeling. Nausea, visual probs. Weird taste in the mouth. It started 2 and a half weeks ago and there are only 2 things that changed. 1.) I took the homeopathic remedy (one sip). The next day began having these symptoms.
      2.) I had the MRI the day after I took the remedy, and was burning up in there and had the weird chest sunburn rash after the MRI. Coincidence, I am not sure.

I went to the homeopath yesterday and she said that it could be from the remedy, and gave me something else for the headaches, which I am a little reluctant to take. She also referred me to acupuncture. Seems like she is not sure what to do with me either, or maybe she is afraid of making me worse, which possibly is the case. 😉 My brother recently went to the Diamond Headache clinic in Chicago. I am going to try some of the prescription meds first that my neuro gave me and then see how it goes. I felt like I was getting better and now have this setback. Thanks all for your support on here. It keeps me going…

Andrea, you are a brave woman for having dental work with no anesthetic….:)

• April 8, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Jessica,
      Would you consider a couple of trips to Algonquin. This naturopath was awesome. He got it regarding one thing affecting/causing another. He treated the problem as a whole, not neuro, not gastro etc, all together. The blood work, saliva (hormones) stool, all correlated. It was so amazing. Insurance paid for everything except a $228 portion of the stool sample (it was a pathology and they do not recognize a pathology result for a naturopath/chiro. Since we have changed the diet as a result of the allergy testing w/elisa and added his supplements, I have to honestly tell you, Kev has complained about his headaches only 25% of the time compared to 110% of the time. Is it the diet change, pills, or combo? Do you want me to ask Dr. Z at Rush for a recommendation? If you want to talk, pm me.

• Anonymous
      April 8, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Dawn,

I started thinking about the 2 possible triggers, the homeopathic remedy and the MRI, and the fact that I had such a weird reaction to the MRI. Where I got the rash, it has been itchy and burning ever since. I googled side effects of MRI, and lo and behold, I found a blog with a LOT of comments about the headaches, dizziness, nausea, etc. and it was spot on with my symptoms. Unfortunately, it does not say how long it lasts. So now, I believe that not only did I have a vaccine reaction, but now I have a new problem with a reaction to an MRI. Unbelievable…really. How many people get a reaction to an MRI? Me, of course. I think that my only recourse right now is acupuncture or the naturopath. I think I need to take a break from doctors right now, but I will be in touch with you about the naturopath. Thanks.

• Anonymous
      April 8, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Jessicah,
      My name is Dave and I am having similar symptoms. I have been dizzy, stomach upset and visual disturbances with migraines following. I hadn’t had many migraines lately then two over the last week. I also have a “buzzing or pulsating when I lie down and can’t for the life of me figure out where on my body it is originating from. I wonder if it is related to a response with allergies? My kids have had colds. I have also had weakness in my legs and pain in my neck. I have been very frustrated with my doctors and feel my care has been fragmented. I chose a medical plan that didn’t cover out of network so I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to try to get to Mayo. I am hoping the neuro doc in Ia City will send me on but he is dragging his feet. Just looking for some answers!

• April 8, 2010 at 10:26 pm

could be a reaction to the contrast dye if they used one during your MRI.

For me the dizziness comes and goes. Sometimes worse than others (sometimes it feels almost like an out of body experience) and usually without warning or known trigger. Headaches much better and way less often these days but if I get one, it knocks me on my butt. I had strange zapping sensations in my head when I was first sick. Vision…been messed up since I got sick. Sometimes blurry like my glasses are dirty, sometimes it seems like I just can’t focus properly, other times I feel almost normal. My Rx changed 2-3 times within a week or two of trying to figure out why my vision was blurry and I kept having headaches. Dr said it was more than likely nerve damage but he lacked the machine to take a look. Not sure it is IN your head per say, but I believe someone posted something about the area where the brain stem leaves the skull and the size of that opening causing problems?? Does anyone remember that one? Not sure if that is a possibility but it was for someone else here if I remember correctly.

You would also be very surprised about sinus issues. I have had several and not realized it. Allergies also cause some bizarre effects. May not have had allergies before, but you may have them now (auto immune response).

I sure hope you can find your answers. It is scary not knowing what is going on. I looked up the stuff the homeopath gave you and it doesn’t seem to be a cause for concern. Usually such things are so diluted that our bodies don’t really react to them. But then again things are different for us now, so what may not be a big deal for one person could be for you. And vice versa…it does work both ways.

HUGS and I pray you find your peace and answers soon.

• Anonymous
      April 9, 2010 at 10:31 am

Dave,

Keep me posted if you go to Mayo. I have been considering this for a while, but have put it on the back burner due to other things.

Lori,

I didn’t have any dye with the MRI, that is what is so weird. For some reason, I was fixated on the homeopathic remedy causing this, and then yesterday, it occurred to me that maybe it was the MRI. Of course, if I say this to the neuro, he will dismiss me. It is so aggravating because from the neck down, I feel better. Muscles aches are better, etc. If I could get the visual issue to go away, then I could deal with the headaches and dizziness. I felt like I was improving and then now a whole new issue, argh. I wonder if the MRI zaps affected my lower body and then just moved it all into my head!! So crazy… this stuff. It is a wonder any of us stay sane ( I know that I am borderline, LOL!)

• Anonymous
      April 9, 2010 at 10:37 am

I have another question. I have been telling my husband that I have a buzzing/tingling in my head and he claims that there are no sensory nerves in the brain so this is not possible, perhaps on the skull or something. Anyone know? Just curious. I know that they can do brain surgery when you are awake, so what he says makes sense, but it doesn’t explain how I feel tingling/buzzing in my head. Maybe I am going loco now….LOL.