Having a bad week? Let us know about it.

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2008 at 11:46 am

Have you ever felt stupid or idiotic? When I feel that way, I watch COPS on television and all of a sudden, by contrast you realize you are a whole lot smarter than you were previously feeling.

With that in mind, I propose a place where anyone can talk about some misery in their lives so that the rest of us can feel relieved and gain some vicarious satisfaction in the fact that we are not you.

I’ll start off.

This week I had to lay off two workers because the economy is so slow. I just didn’t have anything for them to do. One of the men I laid off described himself as a ‘functioning alcoholic’, which I agree with except for the ‘functioning’ part. I don’t feel too bad about that. The other man was a young guy who was bright, hardworking, never-complaining worker who deserved a raise instead of a lay-off. This breaks my heart to lose him and to cause him potential financial harm. It got down to saving the company and the other workers jobs or laying off these two men.

Tomorrow, Colleen, my wife, is going into surgery to remove her breast cancer tumor. The surgeon said he hopes to get clean margins, and if he does, he will only do a lumpectomy. If the surgeon doesn’t think he can get clean margins, then he will do a mastectomy. I am okay with a mastectomy, I just want Colleen to survive, but not knowing one way or another, seems to be harder.

Yesterday, my oldest daughter, Heather, phoned and told me that her doctor suspects she has stomach cancer. They will do a biopsy in a couple of weeks to find out one way or another. My daughter asked me to not tell any family members so they don’t get all worked up over something that may not turn out to be cancer. Great. I get to keep this to myself. All I can do is pray that the doctor is wrong and wait 2 to 4 weeks for the results.

Anyways, it seems that when it rains, it pours. You almost have to laugh at everything. What other choice do you have?

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2008 at 12:13 pm

Lee,

You have been such a great support to so many. I appreciate that you trusted us with this info and I have you and your family in my prayers. I truly believe God does not give us more than we can handle, so put this in his hands. I have been so worried about what is going on for me with GBS and late blooming residuals, but your post here reminds me how fragile life is and that things could be worse.

I had a friend once that told me when you are at the end of your rope…tie a big knot and hang on….I just want to add that it is a h@#$ of a lot of fun to then swing that rope and pretend you are Tarzan!

Keep us posted and I will keep you in my prayers.

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2008 at 12:54 pm

I must have posted a little too soon. My most skilled crewman gave notice this morning. He is going to Ohio to pursue the love of a high school sweetheart.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the Nintendo Wii died and now the kids are looking for parental interaction. Maybe that is a blessing.

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Hey, maybe you can hire back that young guy who you said was a hard worker!

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2008 at 10:12 pm

Each of us often cannot change the hard stuff in life, but we can stand together to support each other through it. I am impressed that this apparently started as a site for misery commiseration and yet people want to reach out and give you a hug. It is love and caring that help most through life. Your love for your family and caring for the people that work with you is very evident. We will pray for the hard stuff to ease up in all ways.
      With Hope

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2008 at 10:43 pm

Thanks Jan and With Hope.

Now this is almost too funny. Or sad. Or something. After making the initial two posts today, and let me preface this by saying that I not once asked “What else can go wrong?”, I got a phone call from my sister-in-law from the emergency room. She was walking her Great Dane who was spooked by a squirrel. The dog took off running, yanking my sister-in-law from her feet. She landed on her elbows and knees in gravel and was dragged into a curb. She had several pieces of gravel lodged under the skin in her knees and she broke a tooth off.

Anyways, why wouldn’t this happen today?

At least in football there is a fifteen yard penalty for piling on.

I’m going to bed early tonight so this day will end sooner.

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2008 at 11:27 pm

Lee, I have to limit myself on this thread…. I can’t type or sit long enough to get past one day. I’m sorry to hear about your daughter, that is a very scary situation. Colleen is in My Thoughts and Prayers, I’m sure she will come through with flying colors. Give Her My Best.

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2008 at 11:58 pm

Lee, your family is near in our prayers. Please let us know how things go for all.

Coincidentally, my wonderful husband’s name is Lee and my niece is named Colleen. Good names…good people.

Carla

• Anonymous
      April 4, 2008 at 8:25 pm

Lee,
      I hope and pray that your wife’s surgery went well.

• April 4, 2008 at 8:51 pm

Lee,
      You and your ENTIRE family are in my prayers. It makes me feel good to know that you are able to come here and share your news. It is nice to know that we are never alone and can rely on the site. Everyone here is so unconditional, it is unbeleivable.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      April 4, 2008 at 11:17 pm

Lee,

Thinking of you and Colleen today. I hope the surgery went well. How is your daughter holding up? Take care.

• Anonymous
      April 4, 2008 at 11:18 pm

Lee,
      I hope and pray that your wife’s surgery went well.

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2008 at 9:08 am

Just checking in Lee and letting you know you and your family are still in my prayers.

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2008 at 10:33 am

Well, Colleen’s surgery went pretty well. She will be back on the trampoline in a couple of days. The surgeon is real confident that he had clean margins and as far as we know Colleen may be 100% cancer free right now. The initial pathology report indicates the tumor is fibrous which is a good thing all though I am not real sure why it is.

My daughter Heather can’t get in for a biopsy until May so we have to sit and worry for a month. Klamath Falls has been snowed in all winter and she can’t get across the mountain passes to get an appointment sooner. Welcome to the wild west.

Anyway, I start the new week hopeful that there are good things on the horizon.

Lee

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2008 at 11:01 am

That is awesome news about Colleen. I am glad it all went well. We will continue to pray for Heather. Worry can wear you down so hopefully knowing others are sharing in it with you will help.

Keep your chin up and God Bless…

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2008 at 11:04 am

Lee,

I am in no way attempting to steal your thunder…..that being said, my wife two kids, and I went through an EF-2 Tornado here in Buffalo, Missouri this past week. No siren. Nothing on the radio or T.V. Just pure terror for about 20 seconds.

Here, amidst the broken boards and smashed windows, I feel that my family was EXTRAORDINARILY BLESSED in that no member of my family was injured. We sustained a fair amount of damage to our roof, some broken windows, and my backyard was TORE UP. We lost a utility shed, chain link fence, and multiple other things that were inside the shed, the most costly was a lawn mower.

I will be re-imbursed for these things after my claims adjuster is finished with our claim, and I am in no way feeling that I’m out anything special, as everything can be replaced, but since Tuesday, it has been a hell of a week.

I’m concerned about my neighbor’s financial situations, as many of them suffered 100% damage. Our community, Buffalo (pop. 1800) was very lucky in that we had no fatalities as a result of the tornado, but there were ALOT of injuries.

I have a small tractor with a loader that I have been using, ad nauseum, over the past couple of days….I’ll keep you posted, if you want, on the progress of our town.

Buffalo, Missouri – Massive ice storm 2007. Serious tornado 2008.

My family – I was Dx’d with GBS in 2007. New baby in 2007.

I have to ponder, what’s next?

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2008 at 12:05 pm

Brett:

Don’t worry about stealing my thunder. Things are looking much better just a few days later.

I used to live in tornado alley in Kansas and have even seen a couple of tornadoes and seen the aftermath of a few dozen tornadoes. What a complete mess it makes. I was always disheartened when I worked on volunteer crews cleaning up the mess. I can’t imagine how much work you have to go through to get things back to normal. And having to take care of a baby at the same time…..

Brett, know that you and your family will be in our prayers.

Lee

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Brett, I hear your stress. We had a tornado go through our farm yard several years ago and we lost our pig shed, 100 year old trees uprooted and torn, power lines out…etc. It is a horrible experience and an awful mess to clean up. Thank goodness you weren’t hurt, as was none of my family. Take care of yourself and do keep us posted as to how things are going. It is wonderful when neighbors are concerned for each other.

God bless.

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Lee, I am so glad things went well for your wife. We’ll pray for your daughter as well.

Brett, I think I have been thru Buffalo. I used to travel to Bolivar, MO to see some very dear family friends.

How grateful you must be that you and your family are safe.

Best wishes to all.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Lee, good to hear Colleen’s surgery went well. We’ll also pray for an early thaw so Heather doesn’t have to wait so long to get that biopsy!

Brett, thankfully you and your family are safe. Let us know how your community fares as they try to clean up and rebuild.

Carla

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2008 at 1:38 am

Hey Family ~ it’s a trying week for us! My dad, 81, has a terrible head cold which we are praying won’t go into his lungs as he is not doing good with his diabetes and heart. His 83 yr. brother had an accident while chainsawing, fractured skull and bruised up. The doc says he won’t go home for a long time (we know what that means). My mom’s brother, 79, has to have his defib replaced this Fri. I was with him and had my hand on his back last Fri. when it “kicked him” into restart. I didn’t get the jolt I might have because of my slow nerve conduction ~ what a blessing in disguise 😀 I will be living with my aunt, who had a stroke last Oct., while he is in the hospital ~ no idea for how long. (we are the only family they have in the area). Tonite we received word that my husband’s sister fell on the ice and broke her hip. He will be going to her, 2 hrs. away. And as an after thought, my husband is needing to be job searching! Whew, that’s a bunch to have all at once, eh??
      Thanks for listening and caring.

Hugs to all of you in your struggles 🙂

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2008 at 10:33 am

Judi:

Your family will be in our prayers. Its amazing how many bad things can hit all at once. Keep your spirits up. You are not alone.

Lee

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2008 at 10:44 am

Friends:

Yesterday we got the pathology report on Colleen’s tumor. The surgery didn’t have clean margins. Colleen was absolutely crushed. She cried for a couple of hours straight. She was hoping to hear that the tumor was completely dead and she didn’t have to go through any more chemotherapy. High expectations sometimes lead to bitter disappointments.

She now has a scheduled date for more surgery. She can have a re-excision trying to cut more tissue to get clean margins, she can have a mastectomy, or she can choose two mastectomies just to be safe.

Since she has one of the deadlier forms of breast cancer, ER-/PR-/Her2 Neu+++, I think she is considering two mastectomies, but I’m not real sure. I’m trying to give her space so she makes the best decision for her.

I’m pretty numb to all of this. It seems to be endless. It just goes on and on. I wish I had some time to crash but I need to be as positive as possible to support Colleen.

Lee

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2008 at 11:12 am

JUDI Z and LEE

I don’t think “bad week” is nearly a strong enough word for you. Rest assured – I am typing as fast as I can so I can start praying – not only for your families but for strength for both of you to cope with what is ahead.

Alma

GBS-MFv 1993 and 2004

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2008 at 11:51 am

Thank you! The support hugs feel so good 🙂

Lee, my prayers, for peace and strength, continue to be with you and Colleen. Many hugs.

• April 16, 2008 at 11:52 am

Dear Judi Z and Lee,
      So sorry for all that you guys are going through. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2008 at 9:56 pm

I, too, am praying for you all. I have a friend who just went through what Colleen is and she opted for the double mastectomy because she wanted to err ont he side of caution. She calls it the “Full Meal Deal”. It was the right choice for her but each of us has to make our own decision. It will be hard but I know you will be there for her and helpn her through this time. As a woman myself, the idea that you are giving Colleen time and space to process what she needs to do, well, that is so special and warms my heart.

Judi and Lee, take care. I am praying for you all.

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2008 at 7:47 am

Lee,

I am so sorry to hear the news for Colleen. I know that sometimes there isnt anything anyone can say. A woman just has to get thru it. My mom had the same type of breast cancer…the HER2 positive and she had a mastecomy. The lung cancer she got was a SEPERATE cancer from the breast and that is what took her from us. I recently found a letter from the hospital that was dated approx one year ago. The letter said they had found a supsicious area on her other breast and a biopsy was needed. She never did the biopsy on that side…she never told us about it. The chemo is wretched. It kicks your *SS….but with support and love, she can get thru it. I watched my mom cry alot in the beginning…it’s a horrible thing to hear…in time she’ll get strength to fight…continue to be by her side. My mom found alot of hope during her chemo treatments by talking to the other patients.
      If it were me, I’d do the double mastecomy. Why take the chance.
      Cancer sucks …it really really does. My heart breaks for her.

My prayers are with you both and everyone here in need.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Good morning friends,

My wife and I have completed 90% of the repairs to our house, and things are really back to normal. Yesterday was 75 degrees, and the kids got outside and played till they were tired. It warmed my heart to watch them outside when I pulled up from work. No better feeling to me, than watching them play and laugh, with my wife. Then I joined in, and it was even better. I showed my 4-year-old that Dad isn’t too bad a soccer player after all…..

Judi, Catch my hug. I hope things make that turn for you, and start getting better.

Lee, I do not know what you’re going through. That being said, I can imagine that it is very difficult. Your wife is in our prayers. Everyone here is always welcome to offer hugs and warm words. That’s been my experience with ANY difficulties that I’ve had in the past. Hang in there.

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 8:52 am

Thank you, Family, for your hugs.

At this moment, I am still stunned with Gene’s “news”. I just can’t imagine our family without him . . . Life can be so unfair 🙁 Guess we’ll just keep gathering round and sharing hugs and tears.

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 10:12 am

You are right Judi,
      Gene’s news does make for a crappy week, doesn’t it? Not to belittle what others are going through with GBS, but it makes my issues seem small and insignificant for the moment.:(

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2008 at 10:33 am

Friends:

I have to agree with Jan and Judi. Gene was a good friend. He was a staunch supporter of everyone on this forum. He will be sorely missed.

Lee

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2008 at 10:20 am

Lee,

Just wanted to let you know I am still thinking of you and your family. How is Colleen doing? Has she had her surgery yet? And your daughter, what is happening there? Share what you are willing to and let us know how we can continue to support you and your family.

I will continue to pray for you all.

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Janet:

Thanks for your concern. It is truly amazing the support you can get from such a wonderful community.

Colleen decided she wants to do a re-excision and that is scheduled for June 3rd. The surgeon offered to come in during his day off to do it. When was the last time you heard of that happening.

After a couple of weeks of thought, your perspective can change. Colleen’s tumor was spiculated or star shaped. The chemo reduced the tumor size but left a little island at one of the ends of the fingers. The surgeon could have cut 10 millimeters one way or the other and missed the pocket of cancer. Colleen could be walking around with a ticking time bomb of cancer cells waiting to do her in. We are very blessed that the mini-tumor was found and something can be done about it.

Its funny, sometimes bad news turns out to be something that could save your life. We feel that God is watching over us.

Lee

P.S.

Heather still hasn’t gotten her stomach biopsy. She works for the state and has the state’s crappy medical care coverage. We are seeing about raising enough money to have the procedure done by private physicians. It makes me crazy. Sometimes free medical care isn’t worth the price.

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Lee, your wife and daughter are in my prayers that all goes well for both of them.
      Judi Z, Praying for your Dad and family that they are all on the road to recovery.
      Brett, it is nice to know that things are getting back to normal for your family.

Shirley

• Anonymous
      May 23, 2008 at 1:45 am

Well, guys, it’s been a heck of a week…two weeks, actually. I was diagnosed with breast cancer last week and will have the node biopsy and port-a-cath implanted on the 29th. The plan is about 4 months of chemo, then a mastectomy followed by more chemo. Hopefully, no radiation. The tumor is large so the thought is to shrink it before surgery. The good news is the lungs and liver are clear….no signs of metastasis. I had the bone scan today but no report on it yet.

My husband is strong and supportive but our kids aren’t taking it well. We have a strong faith in God and believe He will watch over us.

Lee, your wife and daughter are in our prayers. Let’s hope Heather gets cleared soon for her biopsy!

Carla

• Anonymous
      May 23, 2008 at 4:02 am

Oh Carla, my prayer thoughts are with you and your family. Many hugs.

• Anonymous
      May 23, 2008 at 10:19 am

Carla,
      My prayers to you and your family during these rough times.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      May 23, 2008 at 10:31 am

Dear Carla:

I am so sorry to hear about your breast cancer. The first couple of months going through all of this ordeal are the most difficult. Chemotherapy, especially days 7 through 10 after an infusion, are a fresh slice of hell, but you can make it through all of this. Just like GBS, you are being called upon to be strong and courageous and I have no doubt that you will be up to the challenge.

I’ve been working on a program for husbands of breast cancer patients. I’ve been trying to get a support group of other husbands together and if your husband has any questions, concerns, or just wants to vent, please e-mail me or send a PM.

Carla, please know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Lee

• Anonymous
      May 23, 2008 at 11:46 pm

[B]Thank you all for your prayers and encouragement[/B]. Lee, I will let my husband know of your offer to PM or e-mail you with any questions or concerns. I appreciate your support.

My PCP thinks there is a correlation between the GBS and cancer. “Paraneoplastic neurological manifestation” having to do with certain antibodies. He tested me for “anti-yo”—a particular antibody that can be present with ovarian or breast cancer and affect the nervous sysytem. Mine was negative so I rather blew his theory.

I’m ready to get the show on the road. GBS was simply dress rehearsal!

Hugs to all of you!
      Carla

• Anonymous
      May 24, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Carla, Lee and families,

In the words of Gene…Take care, be well. I will pray that things work out the best for you all.

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2008 at 8:31 pm

Good news!

Colleen’s re-excision surgery went well and she got cancer free margins. We will meet with the doctor a week from next Tuesday and find out what is next in the struggle.

My daughter Heather had her biopsy and she doesn’t have stomach cancer. They have no clue what is wrong with her, but cancer has to be the scariest possibility.

Thanks for your prayers and positive thoughts.

Lee

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2008 at 9:59 pm

Lee, That’s Wonderful News on both fronts!!! Please give my best to Both of Your “Girls”!!!:)

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2008 at 11:53 am

Blessings on both sides…I am happy for you and your loved ones, Lee. Will continue to pray they find what is going on for Heather.

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2008 at 11:59 am

Lee,
      Great news for Colleen and Heather! I hope they can soon diagnose Heather as the unknown is worse than the known. Thoughts and Prayers,

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2008 at 10:01 pm

How wonderful to get that news, Lee! About both of your girls! Let’s hope the docs get on top of what’s going on with Heather ASAP. Blessing to you!

Carla

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2008 at 1:25 pm

I am sure struggling the last few days. I am in constant pain and just want to curl up and never move…but that makes it worse. Add in that we had a massive hailstorm on Sunday that left things a mess. At least it wasn’t a tornado although the warnings were out. I finally got some bedding plants out yesterday, put some flowers in, cut the grass and did the weed eating….could this be why I am so sore today? DUH! But I knew if I stopped I would never move again:( I just want warm heat and some sunshine….I think that would make all of us feel better. It seems the weather throughout north america has been tumultuous all spring. What ever happened to warm days with a gentle breeze, soft summer rain, big fluffy clouds….well you get the message!

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2008 at 1:33 pm

[B]Lee so glad to hear all this good news.:) [/B]