Have a question concerning someone else…

• July 27, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Hey all
      I met a fellow photographer recently and he let me look at his camera. I want to upgrade, but the weight of the better cameras is a concern, I mentioned this to him and mentioned the GBS residuals…his mother had had surgery and demyelinated right after. The doctors were stumped and had no idea what was wrong or what to do. Through a spinal tap they diagnosed CIDP. Told them she would have other attacks etc and so on. No treatment was given or offered since she recovered over a period of a few months. This was about 2001. Now, I have to ask, wouldn’t it be more likely that she was struck with GBS since it was so sudden and her recovery was along the ‘proper’ time line? She is left with residual weakness and some hand tremor but otherwise is okay. Has never had another attack or problems….thankfully. I mentioned to the gentleman that she may have had AIDP instead of CIDP. I just want to make sure I didn’t give him the wrong info and have done my homework and paid attention in the forums.

thanks!
      Lori

• July 27, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I would tend to agree with you Lori, but CIDP is so individualized who knows? I have a friend that was diagnosed with CIDP. His came on so suddenly (like GBS) and was treated and recovered, relapsed, was treated and recovered and hasn’t had any treatments since.

Sure sounded like GBS to me, but he says he was diagnosed with CIDP.

Go figure?!?

Gary