Has anyone tried this?

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2008 at 2:18 pm

I was wondering if anyone had tried topical prescription pain medication, like hydrocodone gel? The majority of my pain is in my feet and its almost like a frostbite sensation and it feels like my bones are cold and they ache badly with the random shooting pains that so many of us [I]enjoy.[/I] The only thing that has worked for me so far has been oxycontin and procardia xl. I am looking to get off of the oxycontin in hopes of having a little less brain fog.

thanks in advance

Stoney

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2008 at 2:45 pm

Stoney, I have never tried this and did not know it existed. I will ask Dr. and my pharmacy about it. I use Capzasin HP and it helps alot with my muscle pain. It is basically a creme that is made up of hot peppers; that I do know. I would recommend it for anyone with GBS pain. I too am on the Oxy and other pain killers that work well for me. Cymbalta and the Oxy work most of the time for me. I also use Motrin, 800mg, four times a day for the arthritic type pain. Let us know how this gel works for you. Have a good day,and nights Stoney.

God bless,
      Drummer

• August 1, 2008 at 4:04 pm

When my feet get bad I enjoy a warm soak in an epsom salt foot bath, then I slather on a lotion by Village Naturals. It has Juniper, wintergreen and sage in it. I have tried the capsaicin and it didnt work for me, ben gay has been known to cause problems over large areas and if used too much and it hasnt given me much relief. Since I dont have too much sensitivity to rubbing, I will enjoy a hot shower and an exfoliating scrub with a hand mitt then apply the lotion. It is great during the summer because it helps cool me down to the point that I sometimes get all goosebumpy. But the relief helps me relax until it wears off and I get to apply more if I am not already asleep.

I was part of a study just afte I got sick. It was for a topical neurontin cream. I have no idea if it is widely available or not or if there are trials still for it. It worked fairly well but I was unable to stay in the trial because we moved so I dont know about long term relief. It might be worth someone asking their dr about. I cant find any info on it right now but I am sure somewhere on the web there has to be something.

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2008 at 4:41 pm

I was denied coverage for Neurontin by my health insurance but the gal I spoke to recommended a topical cream that you can buy over the counter. It works like Neurontin but for the life of me I can’t remember the name she gave me. She is a pharmacist and she says people have had good success with it. I didn’t try it as my whole body hurts, but I am beginning to think it may help with my feet

I would be also interested to know if anyone has tried this with any success. Maybe the neurontin cream is now available?

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2008 at 6:17 pm

It’s called Zostrix -HP or formerly Axsain. Yes it does help the burnng fire feet! It’s a Topical Analgesic Cream and takes some of that nasty burning away. Does not take away pain though! But does help some. You apply 3 to 4 times a day. Great for diabetic neuropathy. My father introduced me to it years ago and I forgot I still had some left. Just placed some on my feet and it did help it out a bit!

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2008 at 12:08 am

Thanks for all of your replies. One of my prof’s mentioned a prescription analgesic gel, but that was right before finals week this last week and I have put a ton of info in my noggin over the past few weeks. I have an appointment with my primary on Tuesday and will hopefully have gotten the info from my prof. again before then. I will definately keep all of you posted on the name of the medication and any results if I start taking it. Once again thanks for the replies, its nice to know that I am not the only one out there that feels the way I do being over 18 months out. I’m sorry that anyone has to go through this, but its nice to have people to talk to about things.

Stoney

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2008 at 5:57 am

I do agree about having someone to talk too. It certainly is not fun at times dealing with this nasty stuff. I hate having my family hearing me complain and the forum is a good place to vent and also let out frustration. Plus learn about what we have! I’m glad I met you all in here!

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2008 at 2:40 am

My DR. prescribed the Zostrix for me 12 or 15 years ago. It was 10 for a small tube then. The pharmastics told me about the Capzasin-HP, a generic Zostrix-HP, for about half the price of the Zostrix. I use about 1 tube a week here and get it at Wal-Mart. I think it is about 10 dollars for a small tube of it now. I have used both of these and can’t tell the difference between the two. It will set you on fire though when you get out in the sun with it on you. Well, the hot shower will do about the same as the sun. Well, gettin late folks and the ole Drummer had better start looking at the bed. Good Night …………………….

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2008 at 4:45 pm

When my father was living he had a really bad neuropathy in his feet from diabetes plus he suffered from frost bite during the Korean War being a POW. He was a patient in the VA Hospital and got his check-up’s there for free because of his disabilities. When he passed away, my mom gave me his boxes of Zostrix that the VA sent him every month. My dad used the cream but not much. Only when he felt the burning sensations. He had over 30 boxes of that cream. So far I have not had to buy any and use it alot for the burning pain. But you are right! it burns if out in the sun and if you have a sore somewhere it will sting some. But really some good stuff. Thanks for telling me about the other stuff. But for right now, I have enough of that cream to last me a few years. And at least I have saved a few dollars on that. My other meds run me into some money each month though. Medical bills are not cheap! Hard to be sick and then be forced to pay the bills!

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2008 at 6:39 pm

Zostrix never worked for me. The burning in my feet is one of the worst pains I have and only neurontin keeps it in check. However, when that fails I use a prescription that only a special pharmacy can prepare: amtrip/baclo 2%/2%PLO. It always works well when I use it and keeps the pain away for hours. You need a doc’s prescription and a pharmacy that does compounds. Jeff

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2008 at 7:20 pm

Jeff-does your ins. cover for any of the Rx cream? Thanks, Emma

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2008 at 11:04 pm

I tried neurontin several years ago but I had a bad reaction. I found that soaking my feet in hot water works best. Also, and this is going to sound nutty, but massaging my feet with Vicks Vaporub helps. As a bonus, your feet will be softer too.

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2008 at 12:03 am

Hi Emma: No my insurance doesn’t cover the medication. It cost me $68.00 for enough to last several months so not too expensive. Jeff

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2008 at 12:22 am

Over the years, it has been suggested both on the American and UK forums that Vicks Vaporub helps with foot pain.
      If you search on our forum for Vicks Vaporub, will find a few threads that has this suggestion in it.

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2008 at 12:24 am

Boomerbabe, sorry, I didnt see your post 😮 . I guess maybe reading other experiences with Vicks may help.