has anyone heard of this being used?

• Anonymous
      January 29, 2010 at 10:39 am

[COLOR=”Navy”]Subarachnoid Block for a Patient with Progressive Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy
      Joy E. Schabel, MD
      Department of Anesthesiology,
      State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York

Address correspondence and reprint requests to Joy E. Schabel, MD,
      Department of Anesthesiology, State University of New York at Stony Brook,
      Stony Brook, New York 11794-8480.

IMPLICATIONS: We report a case of successful administration of a spinal anesthetic to a patient with progressive chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP). There have been no reports of regional anesthetic management of patients with CIDP. [/COLOR]

[I]I don’t have intractible pain, but I do know that trigger point injections have been done for many years for pain not otherwise controlled and without using narcotics.[/I]

• January 29, 2010 at 10:48 am

So,
      At the risk of sounding even more stupid than I probably am, is it some sort of spider venom? (no time to google it) If so, I do know they use the poison from scorpions and a type of blow fish for pain. I think I even have a study on it somewhere. If it is not and I am in fact stupid, can you explain what it is?
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      January 29, 2010 at 11:08 am

[I]it’s injection of anesthetic into the subarachnoid space around the spinal cord … not new, but interesting that it’s been used for CIPD[/I]

• January 29, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Wow!! Now I feel stupid!! But thanks for the info, I was serious about the blow fish and scorpion however.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2010 at 4:38 am

Hey Dawn, dont feel like your the only stupid one..something relating to spiders was my first thought also…best laugh Ive had all week…thanks

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I did some research, wondering if this was similar to the branch blocks and RF lesioning I’ve had done. In those prcoedures, they inject anesthetics into the area surrounding nerve endings, rendering them “numb”.

This procedure, according what I read, involves injecting anesthetics directly into the spinal fluid…hoping to alleviate pain in the effected tissues fed or served by the spinal cord. Basically, its an epidural, I think, but sounds like it goes into the deepest, main layer of the spinal cord. Sounds scary to me, but when you’re hurting, you’re hurting and want relief!!

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2010 at 9:19 pm

My neuro wanted to to a dorsal column pain pump of some kind. It would have been surgically implanted and dripped pain meds on a specific part of the spinal cord/column to eliminate the pain. I chickened out in favor of oral meds.