Hand writing issues

• Anonymous
      June 3, 2011 at 5:14 am

Hi fellow CIDPers,

I was wondering if any of you have probs with handwriting? I can only write (or print) a couple of lines that are legible before my writing becomes cramped and impossible to read and by then it is too hard to hold the pen anyway… due to spasticity in my hands.
      I’ve had sensory CIDP for several years now.

Cheers

Kazza

• June 3, 2011 at 9:39 am

Kazza, At my worst I had a lot of trouble with hand writing (and keyboarding as well). An occupational physical therapist at my church gave me a “pen again” ink pen and it gave me the ability to write again. You use different muscles with the pen again product; and it works. [HTML]http://www.penagain.com/[/HTML] is the web site, but it looks like you can order them from several different suppliers. Hope this helps you; it helped me (and the pen is such an interesting design it generated a lot of questions and conversations).

Gary

• Anonymous
      June 3, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Yes, it has gotten so bad that most times I can’t read my own writing. It is sort of the family joke trying to figure out what my notes say.

• Anonymous
      June 3, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Hi Kazza,

I’m a GBS’er, however, my handwriting is awful. It was pretty bad prior to GBS as I’ve always worked in environments where it’s necessary to get your thoughts down as quickly as possible. Now, my writing is horrid. One of my doctors said it was worse than his. 😮

These days, I try to type whenever possible, especially at work.

Take care,

Tina

• Anonymous
      June 4, 2011 at 3:17 am

Thank you for your replies and helpful tips 🙂 I think my hands/arms have been a bit worse lately, as I’ve also had an annoying tremor in my arm…whenever I overuse it.
      Thanks again
      Kazza

• Anonymous
      June 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm

It is no joke – I can not read my own handwriting if I pick up something I wrote more than a week ago. For some strange reason, my wife can usually make some sense out of it.