Hand Tremors

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2007 at 1:59 pm

Hello all, I’m a new member and I live in Malta (Europe). I’m very happy to have come across this forum. I was diagnosed with GBS last August and was discharged from hospital last month. I still attend physio theraphy three times a week at hospital and do a lot of exercises on my own…I’m always improving, thank goodness! Something that bothers me is that my hands tremble a lot. I forgot to ask my doctor, so I was wondering whether someone could tell me why that happens. Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2007 at 2:06 pm

Hi, my son Nate is 14 mos out from GBS. He was hospitalized 9 1/2 mos.
      Nate still has tingling and pain in his hands as well as trembling. His fingers shake a lot, making it hard to do things that call for much dexterity like writing with a pen or typing.
      Sometimes even using a fork is hard to do. It is better than it was a year ago but it is still affecting him.
      It comes from the nerve damage done by GBS.
      Hopefully yours will get better with time and therapy.
      Trudy, natesmom

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2007 at 3:29 pm

One of my doctors characterized my hand tremor as “exhaustion tremor” when I thought of it as “resting tremor.” His explanation was that muscles are made up of motor units, and with the GBS damage I had fewer motor units under control, so they got exhausted sooner. It is expected to clear up as recovery proceeds and more motor units participate.

Gotta love his suggestion for fixing it sooner, “Does it go away if you have a drink?” ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2007 at 4:40 pm

Hi Anne, Welcome to the Family. i have a tremor that is called intentional tremor, when i go to use my arm/hand the muscles involved in that particular movement begin to shake-i can still use them but they kind of quiver, like they just can get enough power to work properly. it has gotten alittle better as the time goes by, but it is still there. it also shows up really bad if i over do it or i am too fatigued. take care.

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2007 at 6:26 pm

Hello Anne

Welcome to this very elite Club.

You were in hospital for 6 months? God love you, that is a long time.

NatesMom and Angel mentioned the hands shaking or quivering also and I wondered if you noticed it more after you had been exercising or using your hands?

Olav, I really like the sound of your doctor! It makes sense to me – but then it would, cos I drink.

God bless

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2007 at 10:09 pm

I take Keppra for my trembles.I still do it,but not as bad.

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2007 at 10:25 pm

Hi: I am almost two years out and have tremors in both hands that have actually gotten worse in the last few months. I was told it was a permanent result of GBS but hopefully it will get better in time. When I am tired or have exerted myself they get much worse-with rest they are hardly noticable. When tired I can hardly write or use them at all. So when shaking starts I know it is time to take a break. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your recovery. Jeff

• Anonymous
      February 27, 2007 at 10:43 am

[QUOTE=jeff]I was told it was a permanent result of GBS but hopefully it will get better in time. [/QUOTE]

Yes Jeff. Unfortunately, it is true. My Doc says there are a few medicines available on tremors and by that medicine you can only control on it.

I do agree with other members, the intensity of the tremors varies as per our emotions.

Any way, take care.

• Anonymous
      February 27, 2007 at 2:12 pm

Hello again and thanks for all your replies! Hand tremors seem to be quite common amongst GBS patients. I find that the more I use my hands, the more they tremble. They’re very noticeable first thing in the morning and especially if I’m in a hurry and want to do a lot of things all at once! My doctor told me that there is medicine available for the tremors, but doesn’t want to give me any for the time being, hoping that the tremors will eventually disappear. They seem to have got a little better since I was discharged from hospital last month.

Teresa Anne, I was in hospital for five months (17 Aug – 11 Jan), which is a lot less than my doctors had predicted. I was told I would be hospitalized for “months and months”…of course, I didn’t listen to them ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      February 28, 2007 at 10:39 am

I am 12 years post GBS and still have slight hand tremors. It’s usually not to noticable unless I’m over tired!

• Anonymous
      February 28, 2007 at 11:58 am

[SIZE=2]:confused: Hello All,
      I notice that mainly everyone speaks about having hand tremors I was wondering if in anyone has experience it with your whole body? My whole body feels that way especially when I’m tired and when I’m walking in a huge crowd of people. It’s really annoying and so odd to me. The other day I went to dinner with my family and if I touched the table the whole thing would shake. Just wondering???
      Thanks!!!!
      [/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      February 28, 2007 at 2:29 pm

[QUOTE=jeff]Hi: I am almost two years out and have tremors in both hands that have actually gotten worse in the last few months. I was told it was a permanent result of GBS but hopefully it will get better in time. When I am tired or have exerted myself they get much worse-with rest they are hardly noticable. When tired I can hardly write or use them at all. So when shaking starts I know it is time to take a break. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your recovery. Jeff[/QUOTE]

I have had CIDP for 35 years (before they knew what to call it) and I only experienced the hand tremors for the last two years. I started IVIG again plus I type a lot and the tremors have stopped. Don’t know how long this will last but Thank God for small favors. Doc says my typing is great thearpy.

• Anonymous
      February 28, 2007 at 10:51 pm

hi guys,
      I also experienced full body tremors. when i was first learning to walk again we would have to stop and let my body shake before i could move on. my kids threatened to tie me down with a rope. i notice it now when i get extremely tired or nervous.

take care