Had GBS in 2006 and I am still weak….

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Hi everyone, I had GBS is 2006 when I was 20 and I am still weak to this day, exercising is hard, lifting is hard, sitting up for long periods of time is hard. How long are the effects supposed to last? Will I ever be normal?

• Anonymous
      January 5, 2011 at 11:47 am

I had a severe case of something in between GBS & CIDP, although my original dx was GBS & then changed 3 months later to CIDP. I have always heard that it can take 1-3 years to make a full recovery from GBS. Having said that, I don’t believe that 85% make a complete recovery, as they are now finding that fatigue is a residual suffered by many more than that. I am almost 9 years out, wear AFOs & a cane to walk, use a wheelchair for distances like a museum, my balance is terrible, & I need at least 12-14 hours of sleep a day. I guess I just got used to it; what one is left with becomes your “new norm” after awhile. Wish I had more positive news to report.

• Anonymous
      January 7, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I am pretty weak as well. I am “only” 18 months into GBS, but my Neuro said to expect recovery to last as long as 5+ years! I’m sorry that you have this at such a young age… I was 31 with two small children, and being young and sick is difficult – especially when you’re normally a high-energy person.

Feel free to email me! 🙂

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Hello, Miss 30days strong,
      I had GBS last year and compared to the way I used to be, I am weak.. I don’t think we’ll ever be 100% but you know what you are very normal..you are just going to have to take it day by day and not worry too much about getting back to the way you were… what might help you is to have short term goals each week and try accomplish them, and by the time you know it, you will feel great again…take time to recover but make sure to keep raising the bar each week..this is what has helped me..I’m nowhere near the physical strength i once was, but my overall mental strenght and focus has quadrupled and I am much better for it.